PDA

View Full Version : round out your necro-party

ghost_warlock
2006-07-09, 12:55 PM
I made this to round out a party containing a dread necromancer and my crypt ranger (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1151682788 ). Sorry, I'm too tired to come up with flavor text right now ;D Feedback, please!

Desiccant

A desiccant is a divine spellcaster who, through necromantic rituals, slowly turns himself into a mummy-like creature.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Desiccants have all the following game statistics.
Abilities: Charisma determines how many spells the desiccant can cast per day and affects his ability to rebuke undead. Wisdom determines how hard the desiccant’s spells are to resist. In addition, a desiccant benefits from a high Strength score to inflict bodily harm upon his foes.
Alignment: any non-good.
Hit Die: d8.
Base Attack Progression: Moderate (as cleric)
Saving Throw Progression: Fort & Will good; Ref poor

Class Skills
A desiccant’s class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier (x4 at 1st level).

Class Features
All of the following are features of the desiccant.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Desiccants are proficient with all simple weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields). Although a desiccant is not proficient with heavy armor, it does not interfere with his spellcasting.
Rebuke Undead (Su): A desiccant can rebuke and command undead creatures by channeling negative energy through his body. See the cleric class feature on page 33 of the PHB v.3.5.
Spells: A desiccant casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a cleric must.
To cast a spell, a desiccant must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell's level. The DC for a saving throw against a desiccant's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the desiccant's Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a desiccant can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table 3-13: The Sorcerer on page 52 of the PHB v.3.5. In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Charisma.
Unlike a cleric, a desiccant's selection of spells is limited. A desiccant begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. A desiccant gains new spells known according to Table 3-17: Sorcerer Spells Known on page 54 of the PHB v.3.5..
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered desiccant level, a desiccant can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the desiccant "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be two levels lower than the highest-level desiccant spell the desiccant can cast. A desiccant may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells for the level.
Unlike a cleric, a desiccant need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.
Mummy Body (Ex): At 2nd level a desiccant gains a +1 bonus to AC from natural armor. This bonus to natural armor increases by one for every two levels of desiccant the character has, to a maximum of +10 at 20th level.
Fist of the Dead (Ex): At 6th level, the desiccant gains a natural slam attack, which may be used as a standard action. The attack deals damage based on the desiccant's size, 1d6 points of damage for Small desiccants, 1d8 for Medium, and 2d6 for Large.
Damage Reduction (Ex): At 7th level, a desiccant gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Subtract 1 from the damage the desiccant takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or natural attack. At 10th level, and every three desiccant levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point, to a maximum of 5 at 19th level. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.
Light Fortification: Starting at 10th level, a desiccant gains 25% resistance to critical hits and sneak attacks; this is the equivalent of the light fortification armor special ability. At 17th level, this light fortification increases to 50%.
Mummy Apotheosis: At 20th level, a desiccant becomes an undead creature similar to a mummy. His type changes to undead, and he gains all the traits of the undead. He no longer has a Constitution score, all his existing Hit Dice become d12’s, and he must reroll his hit points. A desiccant who is not humanoid does not gain this class feature.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-07-09, 01:50 PM
hmm, to me it seems just a little powerful, they're just like the spontaneous cleric in UA except they just trade heavy armor for some veeery nifty abilities. Not exactly sure how balanced that is, but something tells me it isn't.

ghost_warlock
2006-07-09, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking that I'll drop the mummy rot ability and the aura of despair. They're both really powerful. Funny how the mummy is a +4 LA with those abilities (and there's no HD limit on the actual mummy's aura of despair ability - it affects everything that sees the mummy).

arnoldrew
2006-07-09, 01:59 PM
Wow. That's pretty cool. I'm not sure if the limited number of spells known balances out spontaneous casting and all of the cool mummy-like class features though.

ghost_warlock
2006-07-09, 02:22 PM
Okay, chopped out the aura and the touch (and had to re-type most everything because of a browser error). How's it looking now? Does it stand up to the Dread Necromancer?