PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 mithril weapons?

toddex
2009-03-19, 02:13 AM
Is there an actual ruling in a book somewhere for making mithril weapons? I kind of wanted to make a mithril great sword.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-03-19, 02:24 AM
Right with the Mithral armor in the DMG, any other item made from Mithral costs an extra 500 gp per pound of the item's weight. Keep in mind it weighs half as much as normal, though I doubt it would have any other effect to be made from such an expensive material.

Shademan
2009-03-19, 02:24 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral

I don't know if the DC for crafting mithral is higher or anything-... but just buy some mithral and craft them metals!
:smallwink:

toddex
2009-03-19, 02:25 AM
My thinking was it would reduce the size category without reducing the damage. But I guess armor and weapons are two different beasts... :(

fryxharry
2009-03-19, 02:30 AM
Yes, there is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral)

sonofzeal
2009-03-19, 02:32 AM
My thinking was it would reduce the size category without reducing the damage. But I guess armor and weapons are two different beasts... :(
A finesseable Longsword for 2000 gp? That sounds entirely reasonable. Base weapon damage is so small a factor at higher levels that I doubt it'd be exploitable just for that, although I suppose there's some decent combos out there, perhaps via Weapon Style feats and TWF. I'd allow it.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-19, 02:50 AM
A finesseable Longsword for 2000 gp? That sounds entirely reasonable. Base weapon damage is so small a factor at higher levels that I doubt it'd be exploitable just for that, although I suppose there's some decent combos out there, perhaps via Weapon Style feats and TWF. I'd allow it.

Mithral longswords aren't finessable, are they?

Greg
2009-03-19, 03:20 AM
Mithral longswords aren't finessable, are they?
No.

In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does not change a weapon’s size category or the ease with which it can be wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed).

Emphasis mine.

Harperfan7
2009-03-19, 03:22 AM
DMG has costs.

I houseruled that if you use Dex for the attack roll (except for projectiles), you gain a +1 to the attack roll if the weapon is mithril.

Zaq
2009-03-19, 03:22 AM
I think the point is that, while it is absolutely true that a mithril longsword is not finessable, it would not be an unreasonable nor an unbalancing houserule to make it so.

Coidzor
2009-03-19, 03:32 AM
How unreasonable would it be to houserule it that, say, Mithril weapons counted as silver for the purposes of bypassing DR, but didn't have penalties to damage(?) like silvered weapons?

I think I've seen that suggestion floated around before...

Keld Denar
2009-03-19, 04:12 AM
DMG has costs.

I houseruled that if you use Dex for the attack roll (except for projectiles), you gain a +1 to the attack roll if the weapon is mithril.

The rules are WAY ahead of you. Mithril weapons are always considered Masterwork, and thus always gain a +1 enhancement bonus to hit over their mundane steel weapons. Of course, if you had a Masterwork steel weapon, it would have the same bonus.

Harperfan7
2009-03-19, 04:24 AM
Can't leave anything unsaid around here.

+1 IN ADDITION to the bonus from MW.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-03-19, 04:42 AM
Can't leave anything unsaid around here.

+1 IN ADDITION to the bonus from MW.

The joys of holding discourse with rules lawyers: If it rubs you the wrong way, it's only because it rubs you RAW. :smalltongue:

Darrin
2009-03-19, 07:45 AM

You might want to take a look at the special material templates in the DMG2. "Feycraft" weapons do something very similar. Can only be used on light or one-handed weapons and drops the damage by one size category, but it allows you to treat a one-handed weapon as finessable.

You can make up for the drop in damage by making it one size larger to begin with and wearing Strongarm Bracers (MIC p. 139, 6000 GP). If you don't have access to Strongarm Bracers and want to change the size later, the Sizing property can be added for +5000 GP.

You could also make it out of a heavy material such as gold or platinum (Magic of Faerun p. 179), which increases the damage by a die type. This makes it exotic, but if it was already exotic to begin with (such as a kusari-gama or elven thinblade) then it doesn't require any more feats than it usually does. If you don't want to spend a feat on EWP, you can add the Skillfull property (CArc) for a minimum BAB equal to a Cleric (although its a bit pricy for a +2 enhancement).

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-19, 10:44 AM
There are also a couple of creatures who have DR/Mithral. They are not in the SRD, because they are the intellectual property of the Monopolies of the Coast. However, without breaking any copyright rules, I can say that these two races were where the term "Gish" came from originally...