PDA

View Full Version : Equipment progression (DND 3.5)

Coidzor
2009-03-19, 03:50 AM
So I noticed that at one point I had completely forgotten to get myself a magic weapon at one point and was the only member of the party unable to bypass the DR of some monster or another in one of my games where I was a skillmonkey/support fighter (Mostly with the trippings and the spiking of the chains)

This was... after having joined at level 4 and finding myself so woefully underequipped at level 8. Mostly because I didn't know what exactly I should have been looking for during the rare, hurried times we actually were near a town where even supplies could be acquired.

Any particular resources that already have recommended things to get after reaching about x level/amount of wealth?

I'm now playing up from level one in a new campaign, this time as a moderately experience player with two almost completely new guys, a monk and a ranger, with myself being a cleric, so I was thinking of all of the niches really, not just for a fighter type specifically.

Zaq
2009-03-19, 04:01 AM
A fighter-type, eh? Generally speaking, you want to get things that will cover your weaknesses. The ability to fly is usually a hair out of range at level 8, but it's something to keep in mind, and it's important. Something that can reveal invisible foes is likewise critical, as you can expect more and more enemies to be magically concealing themselves from your gaze, and you can't hit what you can't see.

I've never played a spiked-chain type, so I don't know what kinds of weapon upgrades are worthwhile, but I know that as a general rule you want special abilities more than simply plusses. A +1 adjective spiked chain of gerund is more useful than simply a +3 spiked chain.

Generally, though, you just want to be able to shore up your weak points. Buff your saves, find ways around pesky magic tricks, anticipate your enemy's defenses and find a way to pierce them.

bosssmiley
2009-03-19, 08:53 AM
I generally benchmark as follows:
enhancement bonuses (BAB, AC, saves, stat adds, NA, etc.) - 1/3 level
skill bonuses or DR - 1/2 level
atypical bonuses (i.e.: defection bonus to AC) - 1/4 level.
All numbers rounded down.

Anyone within spitting distance (+/-1) of these figures is usually on track for their level.