PDA

View Full Version : Do you hear the trees whisper?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-21, 02:31 PM
Hoping that this hasn't been done before...

(As always, this is open for critiques)

-=-=-=-=-=-

Greenthought Cap

A greenthought cap appears as hardly more than a gnarled burl cut from a darkwood tree and hollowed out to fit the head like an upturned bowl. It feels slightly mushy and warm to the touch, as if rotting, and indeed mosses and lichens grow thickly upon it with funguses rising up from here and there. Within the bowl tiny roots thinner than threads criss-cross, wavering and twitching expectantly.
When placed upon the head the roots prick the scalp painlessly and allows the wearer to use Speak With Plants.
Once per day the wearer may attempt to use a mind-affecting spell or effect on a plant-based creature despite its normal immunity.

Faint Divination and Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wonderous Item, command plants, speak with plants; Price 64,000 gp; Weight 3 lbs.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-21, 02:33 PM
Only once a day? Aw.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-21, 02:42 PM
Only once a day? Aw.
Yeah, but plant's will saves generally stink. Even being able to do it once could be enough to win the encounter. Dominating a tendriculous for example would be a piece of cake, and imagine if a psion had this...

Trying to figure out why Treants have Iron Will as a feat though when they are also immune to mental affects.

Vaynor
2006-07-21, 02:42 PM
Hmm, price seems a little much since it's a once per day power, that isn't overly powerful.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-21, 02:44 PM
Hmm, price seems a little much since it's a once per day power, that isn't overly powerful.
Its not a once per day power. You can use Speak With Plants at will, as much as you like.

Despite this I thought it was pricey to, but I went by the guidelines for pricing.

RoboticSheeple
2006-07-21, 02:55 PM
Its not a once per day power. You can use Speak With Plants at will, as much as you like.

Despite this I thought it was pricey to, but I went by the guidelines for pricing.

Well they are just guidelines really. so lower the price if you think it's too much.

Azrael
2006-07-21, 02:57 PM
The pricing might be by the book, but I feel that it's just too expensive to really ever be used. Perhaps it would best fit into a game as one of those things you just can't sell so it's price isn't really important.

Telonius
2006-07-21, 03:13 PM
I talk to the trees, but they don't listen to me .... ;D

I like it. The price does seem really high. One at will effect, and one 1/day overcoming immunity effect. This doesn't cast a spell on its own, but allows the wearer to cast one of their own spells in a more potent way. I don't have my DMG on me at the moment, but would that affect the price?

EDIT: Looking at the SRD now. I haven't ever made any Wondrous Items, so let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

Command plants is Druid 4, level 7 caster. Speak with plants is Druid 3, level 5 caster.

Speak ability is continuous and minutes per level, so 2000*3*5*2=60,000.

And ... that's it. There's no price guidelines for enabling other spells. Metamagic rods are the only things that are out there comparable. Just a personal guess, but I'd use a Metamagic Empower to approximate what's happening, of which a Lesser costs 9,000 gp, *1.5=13,500 for a total cost of 73,500.

If you use the Command Plants as though it were the spell being cast, that would give you ...

Command plants ability is use-activated, but once a day. So (2000*7*4)/(5/1)=11,200.
Multiple effects on a single item, lower*1.5 gives
60,000+16,800 = 76,800 total cost.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-21, 03:30 PM
The pricing might be by the book, but I feel that it's just too expensive to really ever be used. Perhaps it would best fit into a game as one of those things you just can't sell so it's price isn't really important.
Maybe could lower it to 60,000 though speaking with plants is extremely useful. Go get info from a potted plant for instance and find out about a plot. Never use track again, just ask the nearby plants.

Anyways, it seems like it'd be a pretty sellable item to me ;)

I don't have my DMG on me at the moment, but would that affect the price?
Not that I can find. Though if nothing else it'd make this even more expensive ::)

Command plants is Druid 4, level 7 caster. Speak with plants is Druid 3, level 5 caster.

Speak ability is continuous and minutes per level, so 2000*3*5*2=60,000.
Command plants ability is use-activated, but once a day. So (2000*7*4)/(5/1)=11,200.
Multiple effects on a single item, lower*1.5 gives
60,000+16,800 = 71,200 total cost.
Hrmmm... I may need to go over it again in this case.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-21, 03:33 PM
There was a game I heard of from my friends, where the party was trying to get information from a potted plant- information that the plant did not have, but the party didn't believe the plant.

They ended up torturing the plant, pulling off leaves, and demanding answers to their questions. It was pretty weird.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, 80K for a 1/day ability to Charm a plant, that forces you to use your own spells to power the ability? That may reduce the cost simply because it doesn't, for instance, actually cast Command Plants. The Speak with Plants as a constant effect does cost 60K itself... but I would have thought that you could save money by making it an at-will, command-word spell effect... cuts the cost of that ability down to 27K.

Telonius
2006-07-21, 03:50 PM
D'oh, can't add today. Fixed a little of my math.

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-21, 04:40 PM
There was a game I heard of from my friends, where the party was trying to get information from a potted plant- information that the plant did not have, but the party didn't believe the plant.

They ended up torturing the plant, pulling off leaves, and demanding answers to their questions. It was pretty weird.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, 80K for a 1/day ability to Charm a plant, that forces you to use your own spells to power the ability? That may reduce the cost simply because it doesn't, for instance, actually cast Command Plants. The Speak with Plants as a constant effect does cost 60K itself... but I would have thought that you could save money by making it an at-will, command-word spell effect... cuts the cost of that ability down to 27K.

This reminds me of this weird pseudoscientific study they did where they attached electrodes to plants, and it turned out that if you pulled leaves off of plants in the next room, or even cooked lobsters (what the hell kind of a study was this?) in the next room, the electrical readings from the test plant would go all crazy.

Don Beegles
2006-07-21, 04:50 PM
"Ok guys, I have this new theory on lobsterss; they're actually descended from plants. Let's give iot a shot, well, whdaya know, plants get offended if you kill lobsters. Science strikes again, eh?"