PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Multiclass Idea? (D&D 3.5)

Kobold-Bard
2009-03-19, 06:43 AM
I came across this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48050) a while ago and it seems like an interesting concept. I never like the idea that once you multiclass you just flat out stop improving abilities that you have devoted time to learning. With this you partially get to keep advancing them, while focussing fully on your new class.

Yes it will lead to high powered characters so everyone would have to be using it for multiclassing.

One thing I would leave out is the Superior Study ability. Magical Study twice essentially gives a Cleric5/Wizard5/Anything10 the same number of spells/day as a straight caster, but split between the two classes (because the most you can get at each spell level is 2 before you move on to the next one), which seems fair. Making them a full caster on both sides + 10 levels of something else seems too much.

Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

Disclaimer: I had no hand in creating this idea, all glory goes to I_Got_This_Name. I just found it and wanted some other peoples thoughts on it without resorting to Thread Necromancy.
Mods: If I am not allowed to do this let me know and I'll delete this post.
I_Got_This_Name: If you want me to delete this let me know.

Myou
2009-03-19, 07:04 AM
I haven't looked in detail, but it looks to me like you'll get players taking a 4-level dip in power (levels 6-9) in order to gain vast improvements at level 10, when they can become a full caster with d12 hit dice and full warblade manuvers and BAB, and other totally broken stuff like that. And they can do it every levels.

Just play gestalt, it's the same thing, but it doesn't require entirely new mechanics and doesn't make it impossible to compete when you don't multiclass.

Edit; Not level 10, level 12, since most classes don't get a feat at 10.

Kobold-Bard
2009-03-19, 07:41 AM
Ok let me see if I can answer your thoughts.

1. You can take one of these every fifth level. They are not feats. A Monk6/Rogue1 who took Way of the Fist at level 5 has the unarmed damage etc of a lvl 6 monk and sneak attack of a lvl 1 rogue.

2. Martial Adept Classes gain Maneuvers and Stances Known every level, but they do not increase their Maneuvers readied number. So they have more powerful abilities, but are still limited in how many they can prepare.

3. At lvl 20 a Warblade 15/Wizard5 who took Combat Aptitude (5), Combat Fortitude (10), Sublime Training (15) and Magical Study (20) would leave you with all d12's, full BAB, 11/7/4 Readied/Known/Stances and 4/3/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2 spells prepared.
Yes it's powerful, but you're missing a couple of Maneuvers Readied, some feats on both sides, familiar progression, you're limited to two spells/level after the lowest spell levels, you don't gain bonus spells and no Stance Mastery.

I never said it wasn't powerful, but It leads to some interesting and varied character concepts I think.