PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Need help getting Lucky

Burley
2009-03-19, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna be running a one-shot next friday to give my DM a break, and also to get some play test for the PHB2. For those in my group please turn back now. For your own good.

The whole thing takes place in a labrynth. (I can post the whole session, but it'd be unnecessary.) I've got a great idea for a final fight, but I need some help really making it work. The basic concept is they run into the Lucky Charms guy: Lucky. He'll be throwing out his various lucky charms as attacks, buffs and summons.

Hearts: Healing word (once per encounter)
Stars: Dunno
Horse shoes: Summons a few minotaur (full round action, at begining of encounter)
Clovers: Luck bonus to ally roll (maybe?)
Blue Moon: I dunno, either
Pots of Gold: reward at the end, i guess
Rainbows: Ranged attack (Probably like Eyebite, but Brutal 1)
Me Red Balloons: I dunno

I want to try to incorporate each charm at least once. The party will be start the session 11th level, and probably level once, if there's time.
So, please The Playground, help me get Lucky.

eepop
2009-03-19, 09:11 AM
Stars: Daze(save ends).
Blue Moon: Turn someone into a werewolf, dominating them for a round.
Pots of Gold: Turn someone into gold for a round (stun). If any of their allies attack them, gold coins spill out.
Me Red Balloons: Fly up, then fall, but instead of him taking damage, everyone in a close burst 5 takes 3d10 and is knocked prone.

monty
2009-03-19, 09:24 AM
Damn, I thought this was going to be about relationship advice. Never mind; I don't play 4E, so I can't help you.

Kol Korran
2009-03-19, 12:27 PM
hhhmmm, i usually work with more than that, but a few ideas:
- at wills: as an immediate interupt he can force a character to reroll. and a second power is a minor action that enables it to reroll.

as to charams, i suggest you have them as minor actions as well. i'm not sure what you got, but some ideas:
- Blue moon: summon worgs. this way you have 3 types of enemies in the encounter and it's interesting.

- aces: once per encounter, an ally gets enlarged an shines general bonuses to everything, this guy is lucky guy's champion) this last for one round/ several rounds.

- Clubs: a character's weapon turns to a club, until s/he succeed on a save.

- diamonds: an ally's skin turns to diamond (or even lucky), +6 or so to AC.

- cube: a 3x3 area gets enclosed. those within can't attack outside of the cube. last for 1 round or perhaps a manintain power?

- horse: lucky or an ally gets an increased speed up to 2 times the normal amount (move action)

- rainbow: ranged attack, which first colors the target in a spray of color. then, like the sorcerer powers, you throw 1d6 and see what happens. this comes from good (1-2) nothing (3) to bad (4-6, 6 being the worst)

- rabbit's paw: the target is transformed into a white rabbit till s/he saves. as a side note- worgs and minotaurs like rabbit stew A LOT! (once per encounter) have the lucky guy sing songs of "silly rabbit"...

- sun: the target is blinded till it saves.

hope this was enough, good luck with your idea, sounds like a very variable battle. make sure to make the terrain interesting as well.
Kol.

OneFamiliarFace
2009-03-20, 01:17 AM
Hearts: Healing word (once per encounter)
Stars: Dunno
Horse shoes: Summons a few minotaur (full round action, at begining of encounter)
Clovers: Luck bonus to ally roll (maybe?)
Blue Moon: I dunno, either
Pots of Gold: reward at the end, i guess
Rainbows: Ranged attack (Probably like Eyebite, but Brutal 1)
Me Red Balloons: I dunno

The minotaur summoning can probably just be a standard action. That only nets him one move action. If he is an elite, then you will probably want one of these to be his base attack, and the others to be minor actions or immediate actions. If you want him to use each of them over the course of the encounter, then make them 1/encounter or difficult to recharge, so he uses 1 or 2 each round, and they are always different ones.

Charms:

If he is counted as "Elite Controller (Leader)"

Hearts: could probably just be an area heal and could be used as an immediate reaction when he is bloodied. Alternatively, it could be a minor action which grants temp hps.

Stars: probably best as a standard action area daze attack. (bright flash of light).

Horseshoes: Aforementioned summoning of minotaurs as a standard action.

Clovers: To keep it simple, just make this an immediate reaction reroll for an ally or enemy.

Blue Moon: Melee attack for cold damage and slow.

Pots of Gold: Standard action Area attack for damage, as gold pots rain down on the players.

Rainbow: Ranged basic attack, as Eyebite.

Red Balloon: Move action to fly a number of squares equal to his move. (Recharge 5,6)

This nets him 3 Encounter Standard Actions (one of which will probably be used via AP), a ranged and melee basic attack, and two immediate reactions, and a move action. He should easily be able to use almost all of those in the 4-6 rounds he will probably be alive.

Burley
2009-03-20, 08:52 AM
This is some good stuff. Thanks, y'all. I'll pick and choose from the options later. :smallbiggrin:

I've a new, but related, question:
Since we're play-testing the PHB2 and since I've become enamoured with the Sorceror, I'm thinking about using this concept as a PC for myself someday. I'd like to play-test the build (Halfling Wild Sorcerer) with/against the group, reflavoring (but not mechanically changing) the powers.

So, how would one use a PC build as a villain? Would it be too over powered, or underpowered. I would imagine it'd be okay, but I don't wanna ruin them because I've got an itchy trigger finger.

NPCMook
2009-03-20, 09:06 AM
See this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107110)