PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Seraph's Elder Scrolls Compendium (PEACH)

Seraph
2006-06-18, 12:26 AM
so, perhaps you've seen my thread on Sheogorath. perhaps not. either way, I'm a relatively big fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and I decided to try and convert some aspects into DnD. this thread will hopefully be a place I can put all this stuff. first off, I'll post a quick list of Daedric Artifacts, with perhaps some suggested revisions.

Daedric Steel

Daedric Steel is a unique form of matter found almost exclusively in the daedric realm of Oblivion. Daedric Steel is similar to Adamantium, but also possesses unique qualities. Daedric Items are normally created by daedric princes, whom simply will the material into existence, preformed as the piece of equipment required. Casters may, after spending 1d20 years of research into Daedric magic, do so similarly. Crafting a daedric item requires all feats, experience, and checks normally needed for crafting a mundane item, but requires no raw materials and only takes 1 hour of solid concentration. Daedric items are usually blue-black with hints of red, and appear more to be grown than forged or crafted.

Daedric Items have all traits of an Adamantium item of the same type, are also treated as Ghost Touch, are treated as magic for overcoming damage reduction, and weigh 120% of the base item weight. As Daedric Steel takes on whatever mundane properties are required of it at time of summoning, it can be used to craft any type of weapon or armor.

Daedric Items usually cost 150% of an Adamantium item of the same type, but due to the rarity of the material, it is almost impossible to find someone willing to sell a Daedric Item. therefore, unless someone has personally researched the subject for many years to the point where they can create it through force of will, Daedric Items can only be purchased from a collector of unusual items of at least friendly disposition. otherwise, one must actually travel to the plane of Oblivion and attempt to find a suitable item.

---

Daedric Artifacts

Daedric Artifacts are major artifacts created by Daedric princes for inscrutable reasons. Usually, once a character has completed a quest for a Daedric Prince, they are rewarded with the artifact belonging to whichever prince was aided. Once the bearer of the artifact is killed, the item vanishes back to the realm from whence it came. Daedric Princes will not usually even consider dealing quests to characters below level 10.

Azura’s Star
Azura’s Star is an Ioun stone, crafted of silvery-white crystal and made into the shape of a star. The stone regularly provides a +10 bonus to craft checks, and furthermore, the bearer may designate one enemy per day as soul-trapped. If a soul-trapped target is killed, destroyed, or otherwise ceases animation within 24 hours of being designated as such, their soul is stored in the stone. Up to 100 HD of soul may be stored this way, and if more HD is absorbed than what is available in the star, 1d6 per extra HD is dealt to the bearer as untyped magical damage. Once a month, in place of the bearer’s own Experience, the bearer may expend up to stored HDx100 of experience to craft a magical item of any sort (including constructs). when the soul energy is used in this way, all soul energy is released, even that which is not used as Experience.

Goldbrand
Goldbrand is a +4 Flaming Burst katana, which, while presumably is made of Daedric Steel, is a reddish-gold color rather than the blue-black customary to daedric items. In addition to the qualities of a flaming burst weapon, when used against an enemy with the Cold subtype, it’s enhancement bonus increases to 5, and deals a Death Effect upon a successful hit. The fort save to avoid death is 45.

Umbra
Umbra is a legendary sword, known in legends literally everywhere. Umbra is a +5 Vorpal Daedric Bastard Sword. Umbra is also an intelligent weapon, with an Ego of 35, the dedicated purpose of slaying all, and an alignment of true neutral. Umbra has WIS 10, INT 19, CHA 19, and the following powers:
deathwatch continually active
10 ranks in Intimidate
locate object 3/day
cure moderate wounds (2d8+3) on wielder 3/day
cause fear in an enemy at will
haste on its owner 3/day
Item can use fear against foes 3/day
waves of exhaustion (dedicated power)

The sword consumes the souls of any creature slain by Umbra permanently, rendering them unresurrectable by any means. Furthermore, if the wielder attempts to deviate from Umbra’s purpose, they must succeed against Umbra’s Ego or suffer the same fate, and have their body used as a puppet by the sword itself.

Savior’s Hide
This set of +3 Hide Armor grants spell resistance 30. it also negates the need to eat and the effects of exhaustion, as well as a +2 bonus to favored enemy rolls. Rangers wearing this armor treat it as light.

Volendrung
Volendrung is a +5 Wounding Daedric War-hammer. Upon a successful critical hit, the struck creature is paralyzed for 1d10 rounds. Interestingly, Volendrung was also enchanted in such a way that it only weighs 1 lb. and is treated as a light weapon.

Ebony Blade
The Ebony Blade is a +3 Wounding longsword. Completely black, it appears less like a darkened weapon and more like a sword-shaped hole in space-time. Upon a successful hit, the blade dispels any active enchantments on the target, disables any worn or wielded magical items for 2d10 rounds, and prevents the struck being from casting spells or using any spell-like or supernatural abilities for 1d12 rounds.

Ring of Khajiti
The Ring of Khajiti is a silver ring set with a topaz fashioned into a small representation of a lionish face. The wearer of the ring is constantly treated as being under a Greater invisibility spell, which, if dispelled, reasserts itself 1d6 rounds later. The ring also increases the wearer’s speed by 10, and gives a +5 bonus to move silently checks.

Mace of Molag-Bal
The Mace of Molag-Bal is an incredibly dangerous +5 Daedric Heavy Mace, which deals 1 point of STR, CON, INT and CHA damage on strike.

Ring of Namira
The Ring of Namira is a plain silver ring that has a 25% chance of reflecting spells back at the caster and diverts 50% of all damage back upon the attacker.

Skeleton Key
The Skeleton Key is a long silver . . . skeleton key. it can be used to open absolutely any lock in existence, even if said lock doesn’t actually use a key.

Spell Breaker
Spell Breaker is a large +5 Daedric Tower Shield crafted specifically to defend against spell casters. It has a constant 50% chance to reflect spells back upon the caster, and what spells it does not reflect send 50% of their damage back upon the caster in any case.

Rose of Sanguine
The Rose of Sanguine is a +2 Daedric Quarterstaff. While it is treated as Daedric, it appears exactly as a massive Rose, and all attempts to discern its material simply show it as a large plant held in perfect stasis. The wielder of the Rose of Sanguine may make a ranged touch attack against any target. Within one round, a random outsider appears in a square adjacent to the targeted creature and begins attacking it. Once the targeted creature is defeated, the outsider has a 50% chance of either returning to its home plane or turning on the wielder of the Rose of Sanguine.

Wabbajack
Wabbajack is, at heart, a true representation of the complete and utter insanity of the Daedric Prince Sheogorath. While it appears as a +3 Darkwood Quarterstaff, it has another property. Whenever the staff successfully strikes a creature, roll a d100. the 1 should be assigned to a toad, and the 100 to a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon, and all numbers in-between assigned to creatures of steadily increasing CR. When struck, the target creature automatically is polymorphed into whatever creature was rolled on the d% permanently, taking on absolutely every trait of the creature with exception of Alignment and Intelligence.

Skull of Corruption
The Skull of Corruption is a +2 Darkwood Quarterstaff with a human skull mounted on the end. When the staff strikes a target, a duplicate of them is automatically created in an adjacent square. The duplicate is exactly the same as the original in every possible way, with the exception that it mindlessly tries to destroy it’s original. When the original is killed, the duplicate also vanishes.

Coming soon: Detailed stats of Azura!

questions? comments?

pup3k
2006-06-18, 12:42 AM
I like them. All of them. I especially think you did a good job on Azura's Star. Although maybe make it so that each time you use it, it expends all of the HD stored, regardless of how much XP was used, seems a little truer to the item, after all, you expend the entire soul, not a section of it, when enchanting an item in-game.

Voyager_I
2006-06-18, 12:56 AM
Pretty creative statting (I like Azura's Star particularly), although I think there are more than a few balance issues lurking in there.

However, if I recall correctly, isn't Deadric equipment actually heavy? As in, really, really heavy? Like "thank god I maxed out my strength score, so putting on my helment doesn't snap my neck like a dry twig" kind of heavy? That's how I remember it from Morrowind. I always thought it was funny how they made a big deal aobut the weapons being all special and made out of actual Deadra, and then made them extremely heavy as a balancing factor. The way I saw it, if I smacked somebody with a fifty pound warhammer (which, through some miracle, I can wield effectively), I'd assume it would do some pretty hefty damage.

Seraph
2006-06-18, 01:05 AM
Pretty creative statting (I like Azura's Star particularly), although I think there are more than a few balance issues lurking in there.

However, if I recall correctly, isn't Deadric equipment actually heavy? As in, really, really heavy? Like "thank god I maxed out my strength score, so putting on my helment doesn't snap my neck like a dry twig" kind of heavy? That's how I remember it from Morrowind. I always thought it was funny how they made a big deal aobut the weapons being all special and made out of actual Deadra, and then made them extremely heavy as a balancing factor. The way I saw it, if I smacked somebody with a fifty pound warhammer (which, through some miracle, I can wield effectively), I'd assume it would do some pretty hefty damage.

well, they're major artifacts. they're not supposed to be balanced, and I figured that the PC in the Elder Scrolls gets away with having more than one at a given time because they get to do the job of an epic-level 4 person adventure party all on their own.

also, perhaps I'll reverse the weight percentile on Daedric to make it more gamesque.

The_Werebear
2006-06-18, 01:19 AM
Hmm.. Do you actually have to deal lethal damage with Wabbajack to cause the polymorph? Because I can see my players poking each other with the staff until they are all insanely tough monsters.

Seraph
2006-06-18, 01:22 AM
Hmm.. Do you actually have to deal lethal damage with Wabbajack to cause the polymorph? Because I can see my players poking each other with the staff until they are all insanely tough monsters.

no, it doesn't have to do lethal damage, but a clever DM should see that coming from a mile away and "conveniently" roll monsters that are incapable of utilzing a staff.

Voyager_I
2006-06-18, 01:24 AM
They should still be balanced as far as abilities and an appropriate level of PC that could reasonably have access to them. Obviously, crafting requisites are not such a concern, being that it is very unlikely that any of the PC's will be Deadric gods.

Seraph
2006-06-18, 06:15 PM
They should still be balanced as far as abilities and an appropriate level of PC that could reasonably have access to them. Obviously, crafting requisites are not such a concern, being that it is very unlikely that any of the PC's will be Deadric gods.

well, ammunition aside, the earliest someone could actually purchase a daedric item would be level 4, and that would be using over half their estimated wealth. it's also supposed to be incredibly rare, so I figure I should put a footnote saying you can only get it from either buying from a collector or dealer, or actually going into oblivion itself to do some treasure huntin'.

the SRD artifacts have no place stating "don't let your players use this item until they're level X", so it always seemed to me that it was DM discretion. I suppose it should be a general rule of thumb that any DM lets their players have them before at least level 10 is not very bright at all.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-06-18, 06:37 PM
Wait, is Goldbrand really important? I cheat, massively, and I spawned myself Goldbrand. Is it like, crazy powerful? And in Oblivion I remember Umbra as a person in a dungeon...

Seraph
2006-06-18, 07:06 PM
Wait, is Goldbrand really important? I cheat, massively, and I spawned myself Goldbrand. Is it like, crazy powerful? And in Oblivion I remember Umbra as a person in a dungeon...

Goldbrand is a sword you get in a Daedric Quest. as for Umbra, the general backstory is that you hear about people finding the sword, then becoming practically unbeatable in combat and calling themselves Umbra.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-06-18, 08:25 PM
What are Oblivion stats for Umbra the sword?

Seraph
2006-06-18, 08:44 PM
What are Oblivion stats for Umbra the sword?

it's a longsword with soultrap on strike.