PDA

View Full Version : Creative Uses for Detect Magic

Fixer
2009-03-19, 11:27 AM
The other thread was locked but some good questions were raised I felt we should address. Please note, this is 3.5, by RAW. If you disagree you have to give RAW reasons for it, not fluff reasons.

1) If Invisibility is an illusion, does that mean it can be disbelieved? (And if yes, would it only work if you were looking at the exact spot the invisible person/object was AND knew exactly what it was already?)

2) Can Detect Magic detect someone who's had a Charm spell cast on them?To question 1, I believe so but only with specific conditions. By RAW it seems you COULD disbelieve an invisibility spell, but it would require you see it (the main problem) or interact with it. So I suppose if you were to wrestle/grapple an invisible person you could attempt a save versus the illusion to 'see through it', by RAW.

To question 2, yes. Charm spells are enchantments on an individual and radiate magic. You could tell, with an appropriate spellcraft check, that it is of the Enchantment subschool, but you couldn't tell it was a charm, or an enhancement bonus, or a morale bonus, or whatever other kind of Enchantment spells there are.

Fax Celestis
2009-03-19, 11:32 AM
Actually with #1, you can't disbelieve it: the saving throw line for invisibility doesn't contain a "Will disbelief" entry the way, say, phantasmal killer does.

Fixer
2009-03-19, 11:35 AM
Actually with #1, you can't disbelieve it: the saving throw line for invisibility doesn't contain a "Will disbelief" entry the way, say, phantasmal killer does.
Yeah, I was going by the school description as opposed to the spell description. I forgot about the 'specific trumps general' rule of D&D.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-19, 11:39 AM
To respond to the title of the OP, rather than rehashing the abuse of an expired equine, I have one interesting and creative use for Detect Magic: Find The Swag.

Character was a Rogue/Nightsong Infiltrator. Took the PrC because it was fun, and supported the party well. So I got Detect Magic at will at 4th level. So what did I do with it? I used it on every NPC I walked by, to see if they had anything worth stealing. Sure, I ended up with a few handfuls of Nystul's-augmented fake stuff, but I also scored some pretty sweet swag with a few Slight of Hand rolls.

BlueWizard
2009-03-19, 11:47 AM
Now this thread I can listen to. :smallcool:

Zherog
2009-03-19, 11:53 AM
To question 2, yes. Charm spells are enchantments on an individual and radiate magic. You could tell, with an appropriate spellcraft check, that it is of the Enchantment subschool, but you couldn't tell it was a charm, or an enhancement bonus, or a morale bonus, or whatever other kind of Enchantment spells there are.

Fax addressed point one. I just want to add to your point 2.

In addition to the (inefficient) detect magic plus Spellcraft combo, you could also just make a Sense Motive check (DC 25, or 15 for a target that's dominated).

I agree with what you've said; I just wanted to add onto it that there's also mundane methods to accomplish the same thing.

Graymayre
2009-03-19, 12:32 PM
If it's a D20 Modern game that has a magic setting, have your TV remote enchanted with something cheap (a +1 to attack and damage would do).

Cast Detect Magic and never lose your remote again! :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2009-03-19, 12:35 PM
If it's a D20 Modern game that has a magic setting, have your TV remote enchanted with something cheap (a +1 to attack and damage would do).

Cast Detect Magic and never lose your remote again! :smallwink:
Genius! In fact, since most PCs have their gear twinked out with magic, they'll never lose anything again. This also works wonders for finding evidence chests if you've been imprisoned, or scanning the market for your stuff if it's been stolen. Or just window shopping.

ericgrau
2009-03-19, 12:54 PM
Based on how messy this was, I better quote the FAQ instead of paraphrasing it:

Is it possible for detect magic to locate an invisible
creature?
Yes, although not very efficiently. Remember that detect
magic reveals the location of magical auras over the course of 3
rounds. A creature rendered invisible by a spell or magical
effect could be located via detect magic, but only after 3 rounds
of concentration. Furthermore, the invisible creature must
remain within the spell’s area for the entire 3 rounds of
concentration; if the creature moves out of the area, the process
must start again from the beginning. However, even if
everything works according to plan, you still don’t necessarily
know that you’ve found an invisible creature—at best, the
caster of detect magic would know that she had located a faint
aura of illusion magic in a particular space.

As for the thread title, here's a couple uses:
1. Detect magic lasts 1 min/level, as long as you concentrate on it (spend a standard action every turn). Use it for scouting an area, find magic traps, opponents with magic items, etc. It can even penetrate wooden doors. There's no need to focus on one item; scan an entire area. Dungeons tend to be loaded with all kinds of tricky magic stuff, so a lot of times you'll find something notable.
2. Find dead or unconscious ally, like the one in the pixie thread.
3. Find enemy stealthy character while scouting if he has any magic gear at all.

Fixer
2009-03-19, 01:19 PM
3. Find enemy stealthy character while scouting if he has any magic gear at all.Actually, this can be a magical way of finding a rogue hiding when you can't use True Seeing or the like because of it being a skill. Doubly nice when they have Darkstalker, because you aren't looking for them, just the magic items they happen to be wearing...