PDA

View Full Version : Good Races for Druid

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 08:23 PM
Hey does any one know of any good druid races that are within no LA and +1 LA? Thanks guys also are paragon class's worth the three levels?

Talya
2009-03-19, 08:31 PM
Human. The extra feat and skillpoints are great.
Dwarf. Love the constitution.
Gnome. Even better than dwarf.

Stay away from any and all level adjustments as a druid. Your class features are too good. Same thing with paragon classes. Never sacrifice druid levels.

Graymayre
2009-03-19, 08:36 PM
warforged

The problem is, there are few races that play to the mighty drood's abilities.

A possibility would be the Shifter from the ECS. This is a race that has a mild form of rage called shifting. This gives you a bonus to a specific ability score while shifted. It also gives you the capability of natural attacks, greater speed, greater AC, or several other nifty things; this is all based on the starting shifter type you take and feats that you get for it later. These are good in the time before you gain wild shape. Plus Magic Fang can be used to increase your natural attack's powers (though you would probably be better off using a shillelagh'd stick anyway).

There is something you should note. You can shift while in wild shape to gain the ability bonus from it, but you do not gain the natural attack/speed/what-have-you from your shifter trait.

All this being said, Human is still probably your best bet.

Eldariel
2009-03-19, 08:40 PM
A bit more from out-of-core:
-Whisper Gnome [RoS] can be made great use of in some builds (some stealth-related abilities and racial ability to cast Silence).
-Strongheart Halfling [PGtF] is just that, strong (extra feat).
-Warforged [RoE] can make for all sorts of interesting stuff and has Con-boost again.
-Anthropomorphic Bat [SS] is insane; Fly-speed, +6 Wis. Nothing else would even matter. Besides, you get to be the real Bat Man.
-Jermlaine [MM2] is fairly insane if allowed; too bad it's unlike to be. Also, Diminutive PCs are always kinda eww.
-Shifter [RoE] has some great Druid-synergies. Definitely a solid option, especially the Dreamers who get Wis-bonus. They have the Moonspeaker PrC option which is one of the very few playable Druid PrCs.

CyberRebirth
2009-03-19, 08:40 PM
Hey man.

I have to say, Human is probably a good choice for a Druid, thanks to the extra feat and skill points.

Also, Warforged. Can you say metallic animals? Awesome.

I also agree with Talya that dwarf, for the con is a good choice.

Don't forget to mention that this character is going to a Gestalt Druid//Ranger though.

Assassin89
2009-03-19, 08:41 PM
As the main stats for a druid are wisdom, constitution and charisma, some recommended races include.
Human: no penalties, but the extra skill points and bonus feat might help
Aasimar: +2 wis +2 cha LA +1
Bhuka: LA 0, and they have +2 racial bonus to knowledge(Nature)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-19, 08:55 PM
Lesser Aasimar: +2 wis +2 cha LA +0Fixed.:smallbiggrin:

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 09:53 PM
-Whisper Gnome [RoS] can be made great use of in some builds (some stealth-related abilities and racial ability to cast Silence).
-Warforged [RoE] can make for all sorts of interesting stuff and has Con-boost again.
-Anthropomorphic Bat [SS] is insane; Fly-speed, +6 Wis. Nothing else would even matter. Besides, you get to be the real Bat Man.
-Jermlaine [MM2] is fairly insane if allowed; too bad it's unlike to be. Also, Diminutive PCs are always kinda eww.
-Shifter [RoE] has some great Druid-synergies. Definitely a solid option, especially the Dreamers who get Wis-bonus. They have the Moonspeaker PrC option which is one of the very few playable Druid PrCs.

Hey where can I find that bat? I know you listed the book but I don't recognize that name? :smallfrown: SS?

Edit: Never Mind I found it :smalltongue:

Frosty
2009-03-19, 10:30 PM
Also, Warforged. Can you say metallic animals? Awesome.

Actually, I found an Alternative Class Feature in the Cityscape Web Enhancement from the WoTC website.

City Soul

The most powerful druids can transform themselves into elementals, representatives of the building blocks of reality itself. A few urban druids, truly taken with the nature and order of the city, prefer more mundane forms.

Class: Druid.

Level: 16th.

Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the wild shape (elemental) ability, or later improvements to that class feature.

Benefit: At 16th level, the druid can use her wild shape (or city-shape) ability to become a Small, Medium, or Large animated object (MM 13) once per day. These forms are in addition to her normal wild shape uses. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, she gains all the animated object's extraordinary abilities, as well as many traits of the construct type (low-light vision, darkvision to 60 feet, and immunity to critical hits, poison, disease, paralysis, and stunning).

The precise form must be an object common to the city environment, such as a wagon, a statue, or the like. (Talk to your DM in advance to determine what sorts of forms are available and what are off-limits.)

The druid can assume the form of an animated object twice per day at 18th level, and three times per day at 20th level. At 20th level, she can use this ability to turn into a Huge animated object.

Special: The Natural Spell feat functions with city soul just as it does standard wild shape.

So like, if you're a City Soul Warforged Druid, you get to transform various constructs and objects that can walk around and smash stuff. See, regular wildshape is more like Beast Wars, and when you get City Soul you get to be the oldschool Autobots.

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 11:19 PM
Okay well I decided to take that bat guy as my race. +6 wisdom my DM will not like me.....

Here is the class's I am taking gestalt

Ranger5/MMoF10//Druid15 with the next two being
Ranger5/MMoF10/Nature's Warrior 2//Druid17

Feats:
1st: Alertness
2nd: Precise Shot
3rd: Endurance
3rd: Combat Reflex's
6th: Natural Spell
6th: Many Shot
9th: Natural Bond w/ Fleshraker companion
12th: Frozen Wildshape
15th: Assume Supernatural Ability (found it Cyber_Rebirth its in Savage Species :smalltongue:)

Any advice on this build would be helpful. Thanks Gitp! :smallbiggrin:

CyberRebirth
2009-03-19, 11:30 PM
The assume supernatural ability thing is nice, and is also very balanced.

But what +6 Wis race are you talking about? Do you mean Desmodu?

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 11:36 PM
-Anthropomorphic Bat [SS] is insane; Fly-speed, +6 Wis. Nothing else would even matter. Besides, you get to be the real Bat Man.-Jermlaine [MM2] is fairly insane if allowed; too bad it's unlike to be. Also, Diminutive PCs are always kinda eww.

The Bold and Underlined race is what I am talking about. I forgot the page number but its in Savage Species

Edit: Also Cyber breathe weapon is a Supernatural ability for dragons.
Also:
-Water breathing Extraordinary Quality
-Spider Climb Extraordinary Quality
-Frightful Presence Extraordinay Quality
Those I get for free at 7 lvl MMoF! HA take that one:smallbiggrin:

CyberRebirth
2009-03-19, 11:42 PM
Ah! I found it.

Looks like you'll be small though. With 5ft movement speed, 20ft fly (Average)

Which means you'll have a hard time getting around when you're in your natural form.

I'll think about it, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of +6 dex for a druid that will be shapechanged all the time.

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 11:50 PM
Also to note:
Hyrda
-Fast Healing Extraordinary Quality
-Breathe Weapon is same as Dragon Supernatural Ability (cryo/Pyro hydra)

CyberRebirth
2009-03-19, 11:53 PM
Also to note:
Hyrda
-Fast Healing Extraordinary Quality
-Breathe Weapon is same as Dragon Supernatural Ability (cryo/Pyro hydra)

Don't forget you need to make a concentration check, and get alot of -2's after using it.

And how was it that you were going to stay wildshaped all the time?

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 11:53 PM
Ah! I found it.

Looks like you'll be small though. With 5ft movement speed, 20ft fly (Average)

Which means you'll have a hard time getting around when you're in your natural form.

I'll think about it, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of +6 dex for a druid that will be shapechanged all the time.

I Believe you mean +6 WIS. If you decide not to let me be that race then I may decide to go human. Also about the movement. Hehehehe what part about dragon all the time did you not understand. LOL :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Fast Healing Does not require concentration checks.

CyberRebirth
2009-03-19, 11:57 PM
Oh yeah xD +6 wis.

at most so far you would get 15 hours of un-interupted dragon form, unless you needed to go into a cave, or a town.

And I know that, I mean for the breath weapons.

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 11:58 PM
Page 157 of Monster Manual

Exact Entry:

Fast Healing (Ex): Each round a Hydra heals damage equal to 10 + the number of its original heads

That means no concentration and Fast Healing 22 for me!!! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also the breathe weapon on same page doesn't state anything about concentration checks. I can just use it every 1d4 rounds.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-03-20, 12:01 AM
Dragonborn of Bahamut from Races of the Dragon is a +0 LA template that gives -2 Dex, +2 Con, and replaces other racial traits with its own. Definitely worth a look, since Con and Wis are your only important stats. Pick the Mind trait for Darkvision, superior Low-Light Vision, and Blindsense and you'll keep those traits regardless of your form.

Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterHalflings) (UA) is good, add Dragonborn to get Str -2 and Con +4, and you get to keep the Swim speed. A much more reasonable choice than Jermaline or Anthromorphic Bat, neither of which any sane DM should allow.

Berserk Monk
2009-03-20, 12:03 AM
My advise is human. Bonus feat and skill point good. I'm playing a human druid in my current campaign. The bonus feat allowed me to take spell focus (conjuration) and augment summoning at first level so anything I summon gets +4 str and con and as a druid that's pretty good.

I wouldn't go dwarf. Their ability to always move at their normal base land despite armor or gear carried isn't that useful when you're a druid: you're not gonna be wearing that much armor (no metal) and how much gear will you be carrying anyway?

Dixieboy
2009-03-20, 12:20 AM
What is this "SS" book?
It seems i will have to look it up, anything that has +6 to any stat and no LA is something i have to know about

Flickerdart
2009-03-20, 12:22 AM
What is this "SS" book?
It seems i will have to look it up, anything that has +6 to any stat and no LA is something i have to know about
Savage Species. It's not the most balanced of books.

Starscream
2009-03-20, 12:29 AM
I'd just stick with Human. Or that Halfling subrace that gets a bonus feat.

Druids are too feat-shy to pass up a freebie. It will make up for the one you will almost inevitably have to waste of Spell Focus: Conjuring so you can get the wonderful Augment Summoning.

CyberRebirth
2009-03-20, 12:48 AM
Hey Starscream, which halfling race are you talking about?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-03-20, 01:24 AM
Dragonborn of Bahamut from Races of the Dragon is a +0 LA template that gives -2 Dex, +2 Con, and replaces other racial traits with its own. Definitely worth a look, since Con and Wis are your only important stats. Pick the Mind trait for Darkvision, superior Low-Light Vision, and Blindsense and you'll keep those traits regardless of your form.

Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterHalflings) (UA) is good, add Dragonborn to get Str -2 and Con +4, and you get to keep the Swim speed. A much more reasonable choice than Jermaline or Anthromorphic Bat, neither of which any sane DM should allow.

Starscream
2009-03-20, 02:54 AM
Hey Starscream, which halfling race are you talking about?

[looks it up]

Strongheart Halflings from Forgotten Realms. They get a feat instead of the traditional +1 to saves because they value competition more than luck.

Roog
2009-03-20, 02:55 AM
How about a Dragonborn Anthropomorphic Bat?

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-20, 02:59 AM
If your DM allows homebrew races, my Vulpine race would be perfect for this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95436 (as well as the Wis bonus being more then worth the Str penalty for Druids, perminent Talk with Animals could be incredibly useful to you).

Crazy Scot
2009-03-20, 04:14 AM
Another race possiblity for you to consider:

Vanara (Oriental Adventures p. 15-16) [imagine planet of the apes...monkey that walks on 2 feet and is intelligent]

bad parts - no free feat like Humans
good - +2 to both Int and Wis, -2 to Str (if you need Str, you can use wildshaping)

medium size
move 30', climb 20' [+8 racial to Climb (use Str or Dex), can always take 10]
low-light vision
+4 racial to Balance, Jump
+2 racial to Hide, Move Silently

generally from deep forests/high mountains, but some do wander. very loyal to their "clan" (adopted clans are okay too...read adventuring party). They are generally curious in the extreme (badgering people with all kinds of questions, not always appropriate), pick up items to examine them, open doors to see where they lead, explore places that most humans would not dare/want to go. They are also bluntly honest, never using gentle terms to hide their opinions, though they mean it in the best way. (...by the way, you do realize you smell like a horse's ass? I just thought you should know.)

Talic
2009-03-20, 05:48 AM
Dwarf - Con never hurt.

Lesser aasimar - Wis bonus = yay.

serok42
2009-03-20, 06:13 AM
Strongheart halfling.
The most fun character I ever played was a strongheart halfling druid and his animal companion Barkley (a bull mastiff)

Darrin
2009-03-20, 07:50 AM
Vanara (Oriental Adventures p. 15-16) [imagine planet of the apes...monkey that walks on 2 feet and is intelligent]

bad parts - no free feat like Humans
good - +2 to both Int and Wis, -2 to Str (if you need Str, you can use wildshaping)

When Oriental Adventures was updated to 3.5, the Vanara stat adjustments were removed. They now have the same racial stats as ordinary vanilla humans.

Some other non-Core races with a Wisdom bonus:

Buomman: +2 Wis, -2 Cha. Planar Handbook. Also a great choice for Dragonborn of Bahumat, since they lose the annoying "can't speak" racial trait.

Tortle: +2 Wis, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Cha. Dragon #315 (from the Red Steel campaign). Also has +3 Natural Armor.

Complacent Human: Loses bonus feat, extra skill points. Gains a +2 on stat of your choice. Dragon #320 (Silicon Sorcery: World of Warcraft III Races)

Khepri: +2 Wis, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Cha. Dragon #352 (People of Bas-Lag).

Also, a Venerable Dragonwrought Earth Kobold has some great stats if you don't mind spending the feat: +3 Int, +3 Wis, +3 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con.

You can also add the Arctic template (+2 Con, -2 Cha) from Dragon #306 to any race to boost your Con with no LA.

Paul H
2009-03-21, 06:11 PM
Hi

Depending on where you're going with the Druid class, Race may be irrelevant. All your racial abilities, including stats, attacks, etc. are all subsumed when in an alternate form.

I play Dwarf Druids, so many benefits until they get Wild Shape. Couple levels Master Many Forms allows Giant Form. Wildshape armour, a giant-sized club, and you're a Troll! With Enhance Wildhape (SC, Druid 4) you even get the Extraordinary abilities (Regen, Rend)..............

Cheers
Paul H