PDA

View Full Version : SciFi games

RagnaroksChosen
2009-03-19, 08:35 PM
So I'm looking for a good Scifi system. I've looked at d20 future, not a fan. other systems i've looked at Starwars, deadlands, Trinity, Alternity(kinda confusing), Starcraft rpg, Inquisitor, dark hersay.

I kinda want a setting/system that's very generic and some thing that is easy as well as my players tend to fail when learning a new system? Any suggestions playgrounders?

BlueWizard
2009-03-19, 08:36 PM
Paladium's used to be cool for me. Though its been 20 years since I played it.

Graymayre
2009-03-19, 08:44 PM
You could take a look at the Serenity Role-playing game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_(role-playing_game)). I've never played it, I'm just a Browncoat and thus felt obligated to mention it.

It's obviously setting specific, but since you were looking at Star Wars and Starcraft I'm assuming you don't mind that too much.

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-19, 08:47 PM
True20 Revised Edition. It already has three sci-fi settings, a chapter on creating sci-fi games and it can be used for other settings as well.

Though in most cases, specific is better than generic. If you could give us what kind of sci-fi you tend towards, I reckon we would be more helpful.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-19, 08:55 PM
Um... d20 Future wasn't generic enough for you?

I'm... not sure there's anything else which beats that. And most Sci-Fi games have pretty strong settings, 'cause settings are important in Sci-Fi works.

Well... here are two you probably haven't heard of:
- Shock: Social Science Fiction (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3252) is a cooperative rule-light game (i.e. no GM) in which the setting is what you generate instead of character sheets. Read this very good review (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13125.phtml) for more details.

- Bliss Stage (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlissStage) (AKA Evangelion RPG) is a bit more detailed. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world where everyone over 16 is in a coma and aliens from another dimension ravage the world. In order to fight them the Anima System was developed which allowed people to project their consciousness into the Alien Dimension (in the form of Giant Fighting Robots). Aside from that, the setting is intentionally left blank; you get to decide what the aliens really are, what they look like, where you're set up, what other organizations are in the world and so on. It uses "Fudge Dice" (d3's with +, -, and blank markings) to resolve all conflicts and is very easy to learn.

So... is that what you're looking for? If not, could you be a bit more specific for what you have in mind?

Tiki Snakes
2009-03-19, 09:06 PM
I had the same kind of thing on my mind, for a while. I wanted a system that I felt could be easily used to represent any number of possible 'types' of scifi campaign, and kind of enjoy slashing together my own shoddy little settings.

I went for Traveller in the end (New version of), and am simply ignoring the bits on it's standard setting and so on. It is not too difficult to play other types of scifi, though it's not perfect.

It's worth mentioning, that it's a pretty lethal system. Famously in previous editions, you could die in character generation. (You kind of generate the character AND their history, even in the new edition things can 'go wrong', but all that is likely to mean is rp hooks and even more crippling debt than usual, though there are 'iron man' rules you can use to replicate that death-by-gen feeling still)

Though, having played the serenity system, I can also say it's a pretty decent one. It's worth mentioning, because I'm pretty sure theres a version of the rules that isn't tied to the serenity setting, but I forget the name. Worth googling around a bit, perhaps?

ThisOne
2009-03-19, 09:16 PM
D20 modern is not very good in my humble opinion. The technolology and the logic of the PLs kills it. Dead.

It's actually not that generic in any case; it is well suited to a low-lethality, low realisim, rubber mask alien, space opera setting like star trek,

Way too many assumptions in terms of weapons, armor, classes and feats. Oh did I mention *nothing* makes sense.

True20 is okay, but there are balance issues. Eclipse: Codex persona (free PDF at RPGnow) is point buy D20 done right. It would be my preference in a sci fi game, though it is intimidating. I'd also be rebuilding equipent to make good sense, but that's annother animal. GURPS is also an option, but I don't think that was you intent...

RagnaroksChosen
2009-03-19, 09:17 PM
Oracle_Hunter: no its not that it wasn't generic enough it's just i hate the d20 modern system. and the way the classes where made up.. I'm a big fan of the alternity system though i don't think my players will grasp it well enough,

The Rose Dragon: Ok I will give it a shot. My Sci-fi I watch a lot of is Starwars. Big fan of Dune. stargate the movie but not the show. onyl startrek i can stomach is next generations thogh the concept of frontier work or like space exploration is cool. Starcraft universe is cool. AVP is ok. I'm a huge fan of the chronicles of riddick, and of course warhammer 40k.

Tiki Snakes:When i was in Gaming college my Game Design class a teacher of mine was obsessed with traveler.

Tiki Snakes
2009-03-19, 09:58 PM
I believe the system I was thinking of earlier is the Cortex System

Taken straight from their site(hence the sales-pitch sound); Cortex System Role Playing Game

Leap into a game where the characters and the drama are at the heart of the story, where the action is fast-paced and the dice roll freely. The Cortex System Role Playing Game offers you a fun set of rules that are flexible enough for any genre, setting, and storyline you can imagine!

Character creation lets you run with a concept and be ready-to-play in less than half an hour. The rules make it easy for new players to understand, and allow the Game Master freedom to improvise when the action takes an unexpected turn. The Cortex System rules provide a simple, intuitive foundation upon which the rest of the game is built—everything from an honorable duel withswords, the repair of a starship engine, psychic powers, criminal investigation, and anything in-between.

This book takes a toolkit approach, with all the rules needed to play and a host of options and add-ons. We give you some examples, and a whole chapter full of advice—but the rest is up to you! Bring your dice, some friends, and your imagination to play in a game with no limits.

Knaight
2009-03-19, 10:20 PM
Might as well try the generics. Fudge, Savage Worlds, Tri-Stat, etc.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-03-19, 10:27 PM
Might as well try the generics. Fudge, Savage Worlds, Tri-Stat, etc.

Fudge... shiver.....

Tri stat is a maybe and same thing with savage worlds... I need to see if I can "acquire" a copy of savage worlds... and take a look at it. I've only played it as a demo at my local gaming store 5 years ago.

Edit: Tri Stat may be a go, Any more sugestions are welcome... Also does any one have experiance with it...

golentan
2009-03-19, 11:42 PM
Traveller, all the way. It's a great system, fun to play. Bit overly lethal at times, but even that I felt was interesting in it's own way. Plus, you don't actually expect people to get up after catching a plasma bolt to the chest in real life, regardless of armor.

The different editions have different assumptions and settings. I would recommend finding one where the tech is similar to what you envision, then ignore the setting material. Shift around travel time, and you can model all sorts of stuff. Good options include:

The original, Megatraveller (if you're going more cyberpunk/nanotechish, otherwise GOD NO!!! STAY AWAY), The newest edition (T5? or 4? can't remember, released last year or two), 2300 ad (much more Hard Scifi, much less handwaving about how things work), or if you're most familiar with D20, T20 or 2320 ad. If you prefer Gurps, they have traveller for that, but I did not enjoy it as much (it took the random out of character generation, and while many hated that aspect, I always found it fun...)

hiryuu
2009-03-20, 12:18 AM
If you can find SilCore/Silhouette Core, get it. It's a pretty decent system overall, and is built for sci fi games.

Roog
2009-03-20, 02:17 AM
Lets see, what hasen't been mentioned yet...

It depends on what style of game you want, many games have a particular style without necessarily having a specific setting.

BESM

Star Wars - Saga Edition

GURPS (if you keep it lite)

Unisystem (with AFMBE:All Tomorrow's Zombies and Conspiracy X)

Wushu

Starblazer Adventures or Spirit of the Far Future (http://www.phreeow.net/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Spirit+of+the+Far+Future) (FATE)

RagnaroksChosen
2009-03-20, 09:42 AM
Roog: BESM = tristat lol... Star wars i mention its a great system i may adapt it. I hate gurps with a firey passion. Is there some where i can check out the unisystem and/or is it free? and wushu? is that any good?

Thanks for all the ideas guys keep em coming.

Ascension
2009-03-20, 09:51 AM
Is there some where i can check out the unisystem and/or is it free?

Unisystem is most famously the system behind All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but it's my understanding that it's marvelously adaptable and hardly zombie specific at all. I personally have not played it, but I have heard a good number of things about it.

This (http://www.edenstudios.net/unisystem/) is the site for the whole enchilada, and the WitchCraft (http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/index.html) incarnation of it is available free, but if I understand correctly you'll be wanting All Tomorrow's Zombies (http://www.allflesh.com/8015.html) if you want to do sci-fi without a lot of homebrew.

Armoury99
2009-03-20, 01:37 PM
Are you sufficiently advanced? (http://suffadv.wikidot.com/)

To be honest its probably not what your looking for, but great nonetheless. Its certainly the treatment of ultra-high tech hard sci fi I've seen.

Satyr
2009-03-20, 04:03 PM
Well, like almost always, Gurps (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/) is the best choice. Especially with Gurps: Space (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/space/) and Ultratech (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/ultra-tech/). It is generic, highly adaptable, and extremely easy to learn and apply, as it follows a very strong and plausible intrinsic logic.

Besides, I haven't seen a more impressive Science Fiction Setting than Transhuman Space (also a Gurps game), but I always found Hard SF more interesting than the typical style over substance Space Opera crap.
Gurps does both equaly well.

Knaight
2009-03-20, 04:58 PM
Or if you want something lighter, Fudge. Just as universal, easier to make something in, but not quite as detailed, and there is less stuff pre-made(because it so easy to make things). Go ahead and make your own setting, or take something from very established novels. I'm a hard science fiction fan, and typically just make my own stuff, but Space Opera is a genre where it is extremely easy to find things in.

Swordguy
2009-03-20, 09:43 PM
Star Frontiers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Frontiers)

RagnaroksChosen
2009-03-20, 10:24 PM
This is why i love these boards...

Ascension: thank you for those links i do like zombie games unfortunatly a little straped on cash mabye i need to see if i can "Aquire"

Armoury99: thats just odd... thanks for the idea

Satyr: I thought of gurps but im just not a fan of the system though the latest addition is lot better then the old one.

Knaight: Thank you for the sugestion i've fudged with fudge so to say.. its an ok system a little two easy... though we did have an epic dwarf only game where it came down to a match of beard-y-nees

Swordguy: Hmm ill have to look at that after reading the wikki this sounds awsome i must look.. o and the race that loves bad puns hahahaha.

Awsome guys thank you again... Any more obscure ones out there I'm kinda interested to see what else people get.

Xuincherguixe
2009-03-20, 10:41 PM
Don't you mean SyFy?

Knaight
2009-03-20, 11:02 PM
Knaight: Thank you for the sugestion i've fudged with fudge so to say.. its an ok system a little two easy... though we did have an epic dwarf only game where it came down to a match of beard-y-nees

Did you use any of the optional rules in the rule-book(not in the free PDF)? Fudge Dogfighting, for example is really nice for stylized space combat, although in particularly hard science fiction it doesn't work as well except for in atmospheric combat. I usually add on to the combat rules a little, and make it a bit more complex than by default. If your interested in a slightly more complex version of Fudge, I can PM you the detailed firearm info, and melee combat info, that I use. Fudge Dogfighting isn't my creation, so no luck there, and they are pretty much my default rules for aerial combat, so I have nothing else.

There is always Savage Worlds, its a 10 dollar book, and fairly well liked. I'm personally fairly ambivalent towards it, but it sounds like it could work for what your looking for.