PDA

View Full Version : OMG! We got a map!

Eerie
2009-03-20, 03:40 AM
Look at #639.

Now we know where V lives. :smallbiggrin:

Thant
2009-03-20, 04:38 AM
And we can start expading oots cartography as of this moments - we now know the shape of two larger continental masses on the Ootsworld! People start drawing! :smallbiggrin:

magic9mushroom
2009-03-20, 04:50 AM
More important is that we know now that the OotS verse is on a planet as opposed to being flat.

hewhosaysfish
2009-03-20, 08:07 AM
More important is that we know now that the OotS verse is on a planet as opposed to being flat.

I thought we already knew this from the Crayons of Time segment?

DigoDragon
2009-03-20, 11:00 AM
And so does everyone else who was paying attention to that Epic spell. :smallamused:

R. Malcovitch
2009-03-20, 04:50 PM
Most fantasy worlds operate with the same laws of physics as reality for the sake of convenience and continuity. After all, it's very easy to make on the fly decisions based around a system hardwired into your brain but much harder to

And of course using real-world physics prompt the inevitable manipulation of physics through such marvels as antimatter (using Create Object or something like it to cause several million d6 in damage) and black holes (extremely concentrated creation of matter or energy, instant death)

David Argall
2009-03-20, 05:28 PM
This is 4374 miles from the dirt farmers.

RebelRogue
2009-03-20, 07:36 PM
Most fantasy worlds operate with the same laws of physics as reality for the sake of convenience and continuity. After all, it's very easy to make on the fly decisions based around a system hardwired into your brain but much harder to

And of course using real-world physics prompt the inevitable manipulation of physics through such marvels as antimatter (using Create Object or something like it to cause several million d6 in damage) and black holes (extremely concentrated creation of matter or energy, instant death)
Because including everyday physics in your gameworld clearly implies the existence of antimatter and black holes. Got it!

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-03-20, 08:40 PM
Wait, does this mean that the Elven Lands are on the Western Continent? (I apoligize if it's been stated in one of the books, but I haven't gotten them yet.)

David Argall
2009-03-20, 08:54 PM
It has not been certain before, but Hinjo, I believe, mentioned that the elves were good friends of Azure City, and Azure City is deemed to be on the West Coast, and the comment suggested the Elves are to the West.
This is the first time we have really gotten a precise point anywhere on the globe.

Mr. Pin
2009-03-20, 09:00 PM
OOO! an arctic circle!

Give us a cool snowy adventure plz! Maybe Kraagor's gate!

*White Dragons. Remorhaz. Cool snowy things. Oh Rich Burlew, You make me soooo happy :smallbiggrin:*

awibs
2009-03-21, 01:52 AM
It's kind of sad, but I'm almost as excited about seeing a map as I am to follow the main story arc.

Greep
2009-03-21, 02:04 AM
or he just used a generic map because he didn't think people would get obsessed over it ;)

Sorry, but it is a possibility.

Btw, does anyone else see an old hag talking to a mutated turtle while spewing food crumbs? Okay prolly just me.

LtNOWIS
2009-03-21, 02:38 AM
I believe this corresponds to the map of Azurite territory in Start of Darkness. Azure City is around the Southwestern peninsula on the continent on the right.

The Northern lands look pretty big.

V's home in the elven lands is of course on the left continent, while all the action before this arc has been on the right continent.

Morgan Wick
2009-03-21, 02:41 AM
Wait, does this mean that the Elven Lands are on the Western Continent? (I apoligize if it's been stated in one of the books, but I haven't gotten them yet.)

That could be a hint as to what V does next. S/he may not concern him/herself with Team Evil at all...

delguidance
2009-03-21, 04:04 AM
My big question is whether the circumference of the planet is Earth like at 25,000 miles or so? If its bigger or smaller that affects weather patterns and the possible ranges of ecological niches. I'm usally in favor of bigger planets so that you could have multiple plots going on at once. It can also explain why high level individuals can't gain control over an entire world - it's too big.

kusje
2009-03-21, 04:37 AM
It can also explain why high level individuals can't gain control over an entire world - it's too big.

Teleport sort of negates that.

Greep
2009-03-21, 05:04 AM
Teleport sort of negates that.

I'm not a d and d player, but I don't think there's a teleport large enough for entire armies, which is needed for world domination (except maybe in Uber-Vs case).

kusje
2009-03-21, 05:20 AM
I'm not a d and d player, but I don't think there's a teleport large enough for entire armies, which is needed for world domination (except maybe in Uber-Vs case).

Neither am I really. But if you're powerful enough, all you have to do is teleport in and kill the leader and everyone sorts of falls in line.

In OOTS' case, Ganonron is stated as being able to "teleport vast armies to conquer world after world."

Greep
2009-03-21, 05:23 AM
In OOTS' case, Ganonron is stated as being able to "teleport vast armies to conquer world after world."

oh wow, I totally missed that. Carry on :smallsmile:

RebelRogue
2009-03-21, 07:39 AM
Two words: Epic Magic.

rxmd
2009-03-21, 08:19 AM

Well, technically it's not that the "OOTSverse is on a planet" (after all how can an universe be on a planet). And as already pointed out, we've been knowing that at least for some 360 strips or so (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html).

koldstare
2009-03-21, 08:23 AM
Two words: Epic Magic.

Not really even necessary because of these two words...
Craft Portal

Rad
2009-03-21, 08:41 AM
Or just make a teleport trap :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2009-03-21, 09:03 AM
Funny thing is, part of it looks like our predicted map for Azure City and friends.

hamishspence
2009-03-21, 09:08 AM
War & XPs has an official map of the Cyan Peninsula where Azure city is- it more closely resembles the lower peninsula on the globe pic, than the upper. Islands offshore, for one thing.

Zanaril
2009-03-21, 09:27 AM
Well the world the current strip seems to mostly match the one in comic 273 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html).

Kaurne
2009-03-21, 10:52 AM
Firstly, can I say that this new map is better than the one from 273 for one reason - it has more detail, especially concerning the climate.

We can see where forests, deserts and mountains are one this one, not to mention the polar ice cap.

V's family live in the forest (as elves traditionally do) and the focus of the familicide lightning is in a forest on the western continent, which fits.

We also know those mud farmers are 4374 miles from there, which is on the route to Azure City. Someone much better at maths than me will probably be able to work out, assuming Azure city is on that peninsula, where the mud farmers live, and from there we could probably build up an accurate map.

Or we could go and play DnD, which is probably better.

delguidance
2009-03-21, 12:05 PM
DnD is better when you've mapped out the world because the world works then. A well thought out world gives the players something to build opinions on. That way you get well thought out characters.

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 12:17 PM
This is 4374 miles from the dirt farmers.
How do we know this? I'm sure I'm missing a sign or something trivial like that.

Draz74
2009-03-21, 12:21 PM

That's what it looks like, yeah, and that really surprises me. I thought we already had confirmation that the Elven Forests were on the same continent where all the other action has happened, though I don't remember where I thought we had such confirmation from. (The beginning of V's bio in OtOoPCs? The incident where Redcloak burned down Lirian's gate? Hmmm.)

Will this information affect the future plotlines on the Western Continent (surrounding Girard's Gate and Haley's father)?

or he just used a generic map because he didn't think people would get obsessed over it ;)

Fat chance. Not Rich's style (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/YPgbz2j3PckGjjviJU5.html) at all. So many details in the strip turn out to be well thought-out!

Well the world the current strip seems to mostly match the one in comic 273 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html).

Which is odd, actually. I would have thought the gods would have changed geography when they made the world again, Round II. If only because the lack of input from the Eastern (Greek) gods would have changed their design style. But apparently they pretty much stuck to the original blueprint.

Lira
2009-03-21, 12:25 PM
How do we know this? I'm sure I'm missing a sign or something trivial like that.
V's "Roaming Charge (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0220.html)".

Zanaril
2009-03-21, 12:26 PM

From the bill V gave Miko.

Although that could easily have been a made up number.

EDIT: Stupid slow posting time.

Saint Nil
2009-03-21, 12:27 PM
From the bill V gave Miko.

Although that could easily have been a made up number.
Wow, I forgot all about that. Though I doubt V made the number up, he dosn't seem like the type to do that.*assainates Doran_Liadon*