PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bloodmagus Base Class

Ferrin
2009-03-20, 03:42 AM
I created this base class mostly out of boredom but also because I liked the duskblade class, but didn't like the armor and weapons part of it, the Bloodmagus from complete arcana was also, say... *cough* A minor help. Regardless, this was what became of it; I Present to you...

The Bloodmagus

Bloodmagus
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Blood Rites, Improved Unarmed Strike, Durable Casting, Natural Armor|3

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Rampant Healing 2|4

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Bloodfist|4

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4||4|3

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Rampant Healing 3|5|4

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Transfer Blood|5|4

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5||5|4|3

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Rampant Healing 4|6|5|4

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Bloodfist(Full-Attack)|6|5|4

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7||6|5|4|3

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+7|Rampant Healing 5|6|6|5|4

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+8|Drain Blood|6|6|5|4

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+8||6|6|5|4|3

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+9|Rampant Healing 6|6|6|6|5|4

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+9|Bloodwalk|6|6|6|5|4

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+10||6|6|6|5|4|3

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+10|Rampant Healing 7|6|6|6|6|5|4

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+11|Inner Control|6|6|6|6|5|4

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+11|Bloodwalk(swift)|6|6|6|6|5|4

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+12|Rampant Healing 8, Regeneration|6|6|6|6|6|5[/table]

D12

Weapon and armor proficiencies: A Bloodmage is proficient in all simple weapons plus the Scythe. A Bloodmagus is not proficient in any armor, casting any spell with a somatic component in any type of armor interferes with a Bloodmagus's arcane gestures, which may cause his spells to fail.

Bloodmagus Class Skills:
Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Heal(Wis), Intimidate(Cha), Knowledge(Arcana)(Int), Knowledge(Nature)(Int), Spellcraft(Int)
Skills per level: 2 + Int modifier(x4 at 1st level)

Spellcasting:
Primary Casting Stats: Constitution and Charisma
A Bloodmagus casts arcane spells, he prepares spells as a wizard by inscribing them in his skin instead of a spellbook, this deals no damage to the Bloodmagus. Whenever a spell is cast the wound lights up and then regenerates almost instantly. Anyone with a high enough Knowledge check can then use Decipher Script to see which spells the Bloodmagus has prepared. If a Bloodmagus has not used up all of his spells for that day before dawn the spells remain on his skin and are useable until he casts them but the Bloodmagus loses that many spells of the levels of the spells he still has inscribed on his skin. If a Bloodmagus did not inscribe all of his spells on his body he may cast them as a sorcerer would but he takes 1 damage per level of the spell when he casts them. That damage can't be prevented by any means and requires a concentration check for the spell to be cast.

A Bloodmagus begins play with three 1st level spells from the Necromancy, Transmutation, or Enchantment schools, these spells can be taken from any class's spell list and are added to the Bloodmagus's own. Every level after 1st the Bloodmagus may learn one additional spell from the Necromancy, Transmutation, or Enchantment schools and adds it to his class list, you can choose any spell that's available for you to cast. At 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level you may unlearn any spell known and add any other spell of the Necromancy, Transmutation, or Enchantment schools with the same level as the spell exchanged and add it to your spells known.

Charisma effects save DC's. Constitution determines whether the bloodmagus can prepare or cast a spell and his bonus spells per day.

Class Features:

Blood Rites(Su): The Bloodmagus is able to increase the power of his spells by sacrificing some of his lifeforce to empower the spell. Whenever the Bloodmagus casts a spell he may pay 2 health per level of the spell, the spells effective caster level increases by 1, this bonus increases to +2 at level 8 and +3 at level 15. The damage from this ability can't be prevented by any means.

Natural Armor: The natural armor of a bloodmagus increases by 1 per point of constitution bonus, up to a maximum of his Bloodmagus level. This is an increase, not a bonus, so it stacks with any other increases or bonuses granted by other effects.

Improved Unarmed Strike: The Bloodmagus gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.

Durable Casting(Ex): A Bloodmagus has a knack for being able to concentrate on casting spells and maintaining them despite taking damage while doing so. For the purpose of making a Concentration check to cast, concentrate on, or direct a spell when he might be distracted by damage, a blood magus subtracts his level from any hit point damage dealt to him by an attack that strikes him during the action (or whenever he is subject to a source of continuous damage, such as Melf’s acid arrow). A bloodmagus still takes all the damage dealt to him, but the damage is less likely to affect his ability to cast, concentrate on, or direct spells successfully. For example, a 1st-level Bloodmagus can “ignore” 1 point of damage from each source that damages him while casting a spell for the purpose of determining the DC of his Concentration
check to cast successfully. If struck for 5 points of damage while casting a spell, he must make a Concentration check to successfully cast, but the DC is only 10 + 4 (damage dealt minus 1) + the spell’s level. A 11th-level Bloodmagus could ignore up to 11 points of damage dealt from each source that damages him during casting (and thus wouldn’t have to make a Concentration check if struck for 11 points of damage or less).

Rampant Healing(Su): Beginning at level 2 the Bloodmagus gains the supernatural ability to heal himself but can only do so for a number of rounds equal to twice his constitution bonus per day, the rounds need not be consecutive. The Bloodmagus gains Fast Healing 2 for the duration of the effect, this effect increases by 1 starting at level 5 and every 3 levels after that. Activating or disabling this ability is a free action.

Bloodfist(Su): Beginning at 3d level the Bloodmagus may, as a standard action, cast any Range: Touch or inflict spell he knows and deliver it with his unarmed strike or natural attack as a melee attack. When using this ability you may choose to either use an unused spell slot and take 2 additional damage per level of the spell or use a prepared spell slot with the spell used in this way. At 9th level you may use this ability as part of a full-attack action, if you do the spell will be cast on each hit but you only lose one spell slot or take damage once from this ability. The damage from casting a spell spontaneously with this ability can't be prevented by any means.

Transfer Blood(Su): Beginning at 6th level the Bloodmagus can transfer life between himself and another creature. The Bloodmagus can transfer his own health to any creature he touches, the maximum health that can be transfered per day is twice his class level times his constitution bonus. So an 8th level Bloodmagus with 24 Constitution can transfer a total of 112 health per day. Using this ability is a standard action which requires touching the recipient. Constructs, Elementals, Oozes, plants, Undead and any other creature without blood or a similiar substance is immune to this effect.

Drain Blood(Su): Beginning at 12th level the Bloodmagus can drain health from an opponent. The Bloodmagus must succeed on a touch attack, if the attack hits he deals 1d6 times his constitution bonus damage + 2 per caster level of the Bloodmagus(DC: 10 + 1/2 caster level + Constitution bonus, Fortitude half), the Bloodmagus is healed for the ammount of damage dealt. A Bloodmagus may use this ability in combination with his Bloodfist ability. This ability can be used a number of times equal to the Constitution bonus of the Bloodmagus.(You only use up one use when you use it together with Bloodfist) Using this ability is a Standard Action unless used with Bloodfist. Constructs, Elementals, Oozes, plants, Undead and any other creature without blood or a similiar substance is immune to this effect.

Bloodwalk(Su): Beginning at 15th level the Bloodmagus gains the supernatural ability to transport himself long distances via the blood of living creatures. As a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity the Bloodmagus can enter any living creature(except Constructs, Elementals, Oozes, plants, Undead and any other creature without blood or a similiar substance) whose size equals or exceeds his own and pass any distance to another living creature on the same plane in a single round, regardless of the distance separating the two. A Bloodmagus merely designates a direction and distance (“a living creature twenty miles due west of here”), and the bloodwalk ability transports him to a destination creature as close as possible to the desired location. He can’t specify a named individual as the endpoint unless he has previously obtained a sample of that creature’s blood and has it preserved in a vial that he carries. The entry and destination creatures need not be familiar to the blood magus. A blood magus cannot use himself as an entry creature. If an intended entry creature is unwilling, he must make a successful melee touch attack to enter. (A missed touch attack does not use up the ability for that day.) When exiting a creature, a blood magus chooses an adjacent square in which to appear. Entering and exiting a creature is painless unless a blood magus wishes otherwise. In most cases, though, the destination creature finds being the endpoint of a magical portal surprising and quite unsettling. You may also make a full-attack action when you leave a creature but you take a -5 penalty on all attacks this turn unless you succeed a DC 30 concentration check. You can use this ability once per day for every point of constitution bonus minus 2, so if you would have 26 constitution you can use this ability 6 times per day(+8 constitution bonus minus 2). At 19th level you may use this ability as a swift action, using this ability in this manner uses up 2 uses of Bloodwalk for the day.

Inner Control(Ex): Beginning at 18th level the Bloodmagus has perfect control over his own blood, he becomes immune to dessicating and bleed damage and gains damage reduction 5/Bludgeoning. In addition he can remove any poison in his body by concentrating as a full-round action.

Regeneration(Ex): Beginning at 20th level the Bloodmagus can regrow lost parts of his body and can only be truly killed by fire and acid. All damage dealt to the Bloodmagus is subdual damage except fire and acid. The Bloodmagus can regrow lost bodyparts in 5d6 minutes or instantly if he holds the lost bodypart to the stump. In addition the Bloodmagus gains Fast Healing 2 permanently, this stacks with Rampant Healing when activated.

Updates: March 21st.

1; Removed the Constitution bonus. Was unnecesary and looked cluttery.
2; Clarified the wording of Bloodfist as to needing a melee attack to hit, not a melee touch attack.

JoshuaZ
2009-03-20, 11:37 AM
A few issues. You say "casting any spell with a somatic component interferes with a Bloodmagus's arcane gestures, which can cause his spells to fail." I think you meant to write something like "wearing armor in interferes with a Bloodmagus's arcane gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail just as with a wizard."

You also seem to be missing some features that are in the table but not described. Blood Sacrifice is in the table at level 6 but isn't explained anywhere.

ErrantX
2009-03-20, 12:11 PM
Well, as this is your first homebrew, I will be gentle but thorough in my critique.

1) You did not tell us what sort of hit die this base class has. I'd recommend a d6, because you're basing its spellcasting off of its Constitution (which leads me to...)

2) Spellcasting based on Constitution is a little weird. I'd suggest maybe mixing it up, as per Favored Soul for example. Bonus spells are granted by Constitution, but the spell DC's are based on either Intelligence or Charisma. That way, Constitution plays a healthy part in this class, but the actual spell power is still mentally based. Otherwise, Conan will have a field day.

3) I'm sure you had a reason to include scythe as a weapon for this class, but to be honest, it does nothing for it. None of the class abilities use the scythe for anything, so it strikes me a flavor item. At that point, you're pigeon-holing the PC into using just that weapon. I'd suggest giving them a small list of martial weapons (including that weapon) or a single martial weapon of their choice.

4) Bloodfist and the like is an interesting idea, but as a class that does not further unarmed damage progression, it comes up a little weapon. Perhaps change it to allow you to channel those spells through a martial weapon strike? Maybe they have to specially anoint a weapon in their blood to do so, for example?

5) I think you need to re-read Regeneration as an ability before you place it as a class feature. I think what you're trying to give it is just Regeneration 2 (fire and acid). That's all well and good, but including fast heal on their is unnecessary, as Regeneration supersedes fast healing.

Then of course there is what JoshuaZ mentioned.

All in all, as a first effort, you were relatively complete, but this still shows room for improvement. I think you've got a good base to work with, and if you address the issues I've mentioned, you'll do a lot of good towards sorting this out.

-X

Ferrin
2009-03-20, 01:10 PM
Thank you both for the replies, I see that I forgot to put in a few necesary things. Wordpad/Excell to a post doesn't go as well as I hoped. Still, you both gave me good pointers and I'll work on them.

1) You did not tell us what sort of hit die this base class has. I'd recommend a d6, because you're basing its spellcasting off of its Constitution (which leads me to...)

I was actualy Thinking of a d12 HD, which I forgot to put in my post. Was in my table in Excell, but forgot that bit.

2) Spellcasting based on Constitution is a little weird. I'd suggest maybe mixing it up, as per Favored Soul for example. Bonus spells are granted by Constitution, but the spell DC's are based on either Intelligence or Charisma. That way, Constitution plays a healthy part in this class, but the actual spell power is still mentally based. Otherwise, Conan will have a field day.

True, but now think of the number of abilities he needs to be effective; It's an unarmed melee class first and foremost. You can build it to make it more based on ranged I guess, but that's not what I was thinking of. Still, I'll consider it further and see what part of the casting I could base on charisma, which is the most straightforward mental stat for it.

3) I'm sure you had a reason to include scythe as a weapon for this class, but to be honest, it does nothing for it. None of the class abilities use the scythe for anything, so it strikes me a flavor item. At that point, you're pigeon-holing the PC into using just that weapon. I'd suggest giving them a small list of martial weapons (including that weapon) or a single martial weapon of their choice.

Aye, the Scythe is a flavor weapon. Though I was also thinking of just making a coup de grace to save spells slots to kill something fast after paralyzing it. I'd imagine there are quite a few spells available in Necromancy/enchantment that help with that. But mostly I just liked the flavor. :smallbiggrin:

4) Bloodfist and the like is an interesting idea, but as a class that does not further unarmed damage progression, it comes up a little weapon. Perhaps change it to allow you to channel those spells through a martial weapon strike? Maybe they have to specially anoint a weapon in their blood to do so, for example?

Actualy it's just to channel multiple spells at once in melee starting at level 9. At level 3 it's to get a quick touch range spell in without provoking any attacks of opportunity with less chance of success. And for flavor purposes it's to actualy be in contact with the enemy. Though I do like the "anoint a weapon in blood" part.

5) I think you need to re-read Regeneration as an ability before you place it as a class feature. I think what you're trying to give it is just Regeneration 2 (fire and acid). That's all well and good, but including fast heal on their is unnecessary, as Regeneration supersedes fast healing.

Well, I didn't quite know how else to word it while still obviously working with Rampant Healing.

Thanks again for the responses! Oh, and Transfer Blood = Blood Sacrifice, forgot to change that in the table.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-20, 10:43 PM
Very interesting idea, but it honestly looks overpowered.

Full BAB, highest possible hitdie, and able to cast up to 6th level spells? Rampant healing and the natural armor are also quite powerful.

Interesting, flavorsome idea for a class though!

Ferrin
2009-03-21, 10:01 AM
Full BAB, highest possible hitdie, and able to cast up to 6th level spells? Rampant healing and the natural armor are also quite powerful.

I haven't played with it, so I don't know wether a D12 is to much, but consider that it can't wear any armor or shield, and that it needs to be in melee to use most of it's abilities.

The BaB was more of a guess and was just looked over from the duskblade. Now, the Duskblade can wear a weapon while using it's channel ability, the Bloodmagus is stuck with 1d3 fists. The bab is to be able to hit things with bloodfist.

6th level spells chosen from 3 spell schools, including enchantment, necromancy, and Transmutation. One of the weaker schools, a school which helps with both flavor and touch range spells, and one of the most powerfull spell schools I can think of, which has Girralons blessing, polymorph, and several other spells which most Bloodmagus's will choose. Hmm, allright, I can see why this bothers you, I should have thought about that some more I guess.

Rampant healing is based on your constitution bonus, so at level 14 when you get Rampant Healing 6, you can have about 30 constitution, which gives a +10 bonus, that's 20 rounds of fast healing 6, so 120 healing per day, at level 14. And you can't use it all at once, you have to wait for it.

I'd like to hear more about what people think of the BaB and HD issue, as well as the spell list. Those things bother me quite a bit, but I don't want to make Bloodfist useless, and don't want the bloodmagus to die by standing in melee for one second, his health is supposed to help with his low armor, along with Rampant Healing and Drain Blood to heal himself.

Interesting, flavorsome idea for a class though!

Thank you! Although it was mostly ninjad from the Duskblade and Bloodmagus classes made by WotC. :smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2009-03-21, 10:19 AM
Currently there are only three core classes (that I know of) that have d12 HD. The Warblade, Barbarian, and Knight. All of these represent the toughest of the tough. I'd suggest that you go down to d8 at the most. I think that d8 is good enough. If you must, make him able to cast in light armor.

RE: Used for Bloodfist: Bloodfist is a touch attack, you don't need full BAB to hit with it. Warlocks (a class that runs off touch attacks) has 3/4 base attack bonus, and can still hit worth a damn because it is a touch spell.

Ferrin
2009-03-21, 10:36 AM
Currently there are only three core classes (that I know of) that have d12 HD. The Warblade, Barbarian, and Knight. All of these represent the toughest of the tough. I'd suggest that you go down to d8 at the most. I think that d8 is good enough. If you must, make him able to cast in light armor.

RE: Used for Bloodfist: Bloodfist is a touch attack, you don't need full BAB to hit with it. Warlocks (a class that runs off touch attacks) has 3/4 base attack bonus, and can still hit worth a damn because it is a touch spell.

Idea is to have this class to be tough and unarmored, unlike those three classes which are all based mostly on there weaponry.

Bloodfist is a melee attack, not a touch attack, it just channels touch attacks through it. An unarmed strike is never a melee touch attack. But I see where you got the idea, will clarify it! Thank you!

I just got an idea, which may be quite overpowered; Changing Bloodfist to a melee touch attack and lowering the BaB to Moderate. I think this is overpowered myself, but would like to hear what others think.

Do consider that natural attacks are going to be a ton more powerfull for the Bloodmagus this way.

UserClone
2009-03-21, 11:18 AM
Now by, "just got an idea," you meant, "was just fed an idea by Shades of gray that I liked the look of," right? :smalltongue:

Also Durable casting is confusingly worded. It would do the same exact thing in far fewer words if you just gave an unnamed bonus equal to class level on concentration checks to avoid losing a spell by being damaged.

Ferrin
2009-03-21, 11:36 AM
Now by, "just got an idea," you meant, "was just fed an idea by Shades of gray that I liked the look of," right? :smalltongue:

Maaaaybe! :smallbiggrin:

Also Durable casting is confusingly worded. It would do the same exact thing in far fewer words if you just gave an unnamed bonus equal to class level on concentration checks to avoid losing a spell by being damaged.

I'll look into every single little minor problem that might have. ...Right after I finish dinner. But you seem to be right at first glance, but now think of a 1 dmg hit when you have 0 ranks in concentration.

wadledo
2009-03-21, 12:31 PM
I've only skimmed the class, but since no other spellcaster gets d12's, it would be a bit much to give it to them.
d8's are pretty fair.

Ferrin
2009-03-21, 12:40 PM
I've only skimmed the class, but since no other spellcaster gets d12's, it would be a bit much to give it to them.
d8's are pretty fair.

It's a constitution based spellcaster at that, not your ordinairy book-worm. It's supposed to be different! For balance reasons I'd change it, or something else, but not because "-no other spellcaster gets d12's-".

wadledo
2009-03-21, 12:50 PM
It's a constitution based spellcaster at that, not your ordinairy book-worm. It's supposed to be different! For balance reasons I'd change it, or something else, but not because "-no other spellcaster gets d12's-".

Duskblades are not your ordinary spellcaster, and they only have d8's.:smallamused:
Plus, the Con requirement would make their Hp higher than normal anyway, wouldn't it?

Ferrin
2009-03-21, 01:06 PM
Duskblades are not your ordinary spellcaster, and they only have d8's.:smallamused:
Plus, the Con requirement would make their Hp higher than normal anyway, wouldn't it?

Also consider that the Duskblade can wear medium armor(Heavy with a feat), and use a weapon(and shield :smallbiggrin:). It's a different type of caster, much like the duskblade, but unarmored, with a focus on blood, life, health. It even has several abilities to sacrifice it's own health for more power.

UserClone
2009-03-21, 01:51 PM
If you'll recall, the original blood magus had a d4. I think it should have been a d8 myself, as should yours, especially with spellcasting based on Con. I mean, you gave it a ton of things your ordinary caster doesn't have, like good bab, a ridiculous hit die, and good fort saves. I kind of feel like something's gotta give, but then again, I haven't playtested it. :smallbiggrin:

Ferrin
2009-03-21, 02:26 PM
If you'll recall, the original blood magus had a d4. I think it should have been a d8 myself, as should yours, especially with spellcasting based on Con. I mean, you gave it a ton of things your ordinary caster doesn't have, like good bab, a ridiculous hit die, and good fort saves. I kind of feel like something's gotta give, but then again, I haven't playtested it. :smallbiggrin:

You might also remember that the original bloodmagus gives 8/10 spellcasting. Compared to your average wizard it gives up spell levels and versatility for health. Compared to your average melee class it gives up weapons and armor for spells and abilities.

The problem is finding the right balance, right now I can't playtest it due to me not having a playgroup. But now, think of a level 1 human Bloodmagus just starting out, 32 point buy(16str, 12dex, 16con, 8wis, 10int, 14cha). He'd have a +4 attack bonus, 12 AC, and d12+3(15) health He can double his caster level by taking 2 damage, 4 spells per day. He'd take... Let's see; Cause Fear, Entangle, and Sleep. He gets a Scythe with his gold. As feats he takes Improved Initiative and Spell Focus: Necromancy. Obviously not optimized, but still.

Hmm, ok, a d8 HD would work pretty well, I guess.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-26, 06:06 AM

Ditto. Saying "it's a Con-based caster" doesn't justify giving it the max hit die...the Con carries with it its own hp bonus.

For balance, let's compare this with other, core melee casters: the ranger and the paladin.

Both are casters up to the mid-level range (which matches your blood magus, who casts up to 6th level spells). Check.

Both are primarily melee artists, with casting being a secondary trait. From what I'm getting out of your comments, that's what your blood magus is intended as. Check.

Both get full BAB. So does blood magus. Check.

Both are limited to a single spell list, which they gain starting at 4th level, and cast at a fraction of their class level. Blood magus gets spells of their choice from any spell list, starting at first level, and their caster level equals their class level. Point to Blood Magus.

HD is d8 for ranger, and d10 for paladin. Blood magus boosts this up to d12. Point to Blood Magus.

Both are able to wear armor (any for Paladin, effectively limited to Light for Ranger). Blood Magus gets none. Point to Ranger/Paladin.

So effectively, you're saying that a d12 hit die and full casting is an even trade for armor. I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. The HD/armor trade itself might be considered fair (since the Barbarian could be considered a fighter who trades armor for higher HD). Giving them that /and/ full caster level starting from level one, is definitely unbalanced. Sorry. :smallfrown: