PDA

View Full Version : The Light of a Fading Star [PEACH]

The Demented One
2006-07-18, 07:49 PM
Cosmos Dragon
Size/Type: Dragon
Environment: Outer Space
Organization: Wymling, very young, young, juvenile, and young adult: solitary or clutch (2-5); adult, mature adult, old, very old, ancient, wyrm, or great wyrm: solitary, pair, or family (1-2 and 2-5 offspring)
Challenge Rating: Wyrmling 7, very young 9, young 11, juvenile 13, young adult 18, adult 20, mature adult 23, old 26, very old 27, ancient 29, wyrm 30, great wyrm 32
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: Wyrmling 14-15 HD, Very Young 17-18 HD, Young 20-23 HD, Juvenile 25-27 HD, Young Adult 29-30 HD, Adult 32-33 HD, Mature Adult 35-38 HD, Old 39-42 HD, Very Old 44-45 HD, Ancient 47-48 HD, Wyrm 50-51 HD, Great Wyrm 53+ HD
Level Adjustment: –

Cosmos Dragons, also known as Stardragons, fly in the highest reaches of the world–the black depths of space. Not needing air, these majestic beasts soar above their chromatic and metallic kin apathetically. For, while terrestrial dragons are content to feud with each other and accumulate wealth, the epic Cosmos Dragons have a much more important task. They are part of the natural “life cycle” of the stars. It is the energized breath of a Cosmos Dragon that ignites the gasses of nebulas into stars, and that same breath that, in large numbers and over long periods of time, triggers novas. The scales and claws of Cosmos Dragons bear a strong resemblance to starmetal, and some scholars sggest that starmetal is nothing less than the raw matter of the stars, digested and excreted by Cosmos Dragons. Only events of amazing significance–an artifact shifting the order of the stars, the death of a solar deity–can call a Cosmos Dragon down to earth.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1586/cosmosdragon1pm7.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7541/cosmosdragon2fe0.jpg

Breath Weapon (Su)
A Cosmos Dragon has one breath weapon, a cone of cosmic energy. The breath deals no particular kind of damage, and creatures caught in it may attempt a Reflex save for half damage. In addition, a creature that fails its Reflex save must make a Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution drain per 10 points of damage dealt to it, as the cosmic energy twists and mutates its body destructively.

Breathless (Ex)
A Cosmos Dragon does not need to breathe. In addition, the suffer no ill effects from being in a vacuum.

Starwing (Su)
A Cosmos Dragon is capable of flying even in areas without air or a similar medium to move through. In addition, while moving through such an airless area and when not in a threatened situation, a Cosmos Dragon can travel at amazingly fast speeds, allowing them to reach almost any point within the same galaxy within a week or less.

Stargate (Su)
As a standard action, a Cosmos Dragon may fly into a star, only to emerge from any other star in the whole of the multiverse.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–divination (very young); 3/day–greater scrying (young adult), sunburst (wyrm); 1/day–foresight (mature adult), moonfire* (very old)
*From Spell Compendium

Regeneration (Ex)
Only epic starmetal weapons damage the Cosmos Dragon normally.

Skills
Knowledge (Nature) and Proffession (Astronomer) are always class skills for Cosmos Dragons.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-18, 09:40 PM
I do believe I detect a Flogging Molly reference!
Would you like your internet here, or to go?

The Demented One
2006-07-18, 09:42 PM
Just toss it on the pile. Although I'll note that anyone trying to wear it is in for a rough fight. Cosmos Dragons and their scales are not easily parted.

MrSeth
2006-07-18, 10:19 PM
>___<; My one weakness... new Dragon subrace... GIMME~!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-18, 10:23 PM
Thats pretty cool, though I did kinda wince at this bit:

They are part of the natural “life cycle” of the stars. It is the energized breath of a Cosmos Dragon that ignites the gasses of nebulas into stars, and that same breath that triggers novas.

I'd say they need to have jusssst a bit more of a damage to the breath weapon... and then there is the fact that if they can ignite this stuff they could destroy entire worlds. Thats a bit much even for a CR 32 Great Wyrm.

The Demented One
2006-07-18, 10:30 PM
I'd say they need to have jusssst a bit more of a damage to the breath weapon... and then there is the fact that if they can ignite this stuff they could destroy entire worlds. Thats a bit much even for a CR 32 Great Wyrm.
I didn't explain that clearly enough, I think. Triggering a nova wouuld be the work of a large number of Cosmos Dragons, and the star has to be at exactly the right point in its life cycle. Furthermore, it's not an instantaneous process. It could take weeks, months, years.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-18, 10:44 PM
I didn't explain that clearly enough, I think. Triggering a nova wouuld be the work of a large number of Cosmos Dragons, and the star has to be at exactly the right point in its life cycle. Furthermore, it's not an instantaneous process. It could take weeks, months, years.
Ahhh, gotcha. That makes sense then ;)

jdrich
2006-07-18, 10:49 PM
It flies without an atmosphere?

The Demented One
2006-07-18, 10:51 PM
It flies without an atmosphere?

Yeah, check the Starwing ability.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-18, 11:10 PM
You need to add said ability to the description. There's Stargate, which allows it to jump from star to star, but that's it.

The Demented One
2006-07-18, 11:15 PM
You need to add said ability to the description. There's Stargate, which allows it to jump from star to star, but that's it.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-19, 01:21 AM
Fascinating dragon subrace. I'm still trying to determine if the CRs are accurate, since this dragon seems quite powerful at all ages... 3d12 damage and 1-2 Con damage per breath for a CR 7?

Also, note which spells the Cosmos Dragon can cast- noting fomains are typically allowed for flavour.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-19, 01:27 AM
Hmm. Well, there's one thing.
The closest stars couldn't be less than millions of miles away, lest the plane be cooked.
You should make an in-space special travel speed. Stargate will only be helpful if you can get to the star.

The Demented One
2006-07-19, 08:49 AM
Hmm. Well, there's one thing.
The closest stars couldn't be less than millions of miles away, lest the plane be cooked.
You should make an in-space special travel speed. Stargate will only be helpful if you can get to the star.
Good idea. I've added a sorta "speed of plot" bit to Starwing, that should handle it.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-19, 09:02 AM
Perfect!
I like these guys.

Artisan
2006-07-19, 10:05 AM
Oh god...dragons...flying through space...creating 'tunnels' bwteen stars. Do they travel through...dare I say the pun?

Do they travel through Wyrmholes?

NullAshton
2006-07-19, 10:37 AM
Can there please be a level adjustment to them? :)