PDA

View Full Version : Gorl (3.5) (PEACH)

xanaphia
2009-03-20, 09:58 PM
This is a creature from Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda. In the story, he is guarding the Lillies of Life, which when they bloom release nectar which heals any wound. However, he grows vines over the area to protect them, which means they can't bloom. The added twist is that the heroes aren't actually looking for the Lillies of Life: they want the Topaz in his sword, because it was hidden there by the BBEG. You might want to have him guarding something else. He is killed by someone cutting out the branches above him, and them falling on him.

Gorl the Guardian
Medium Undead
HD 12d12 (78)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +5
AC 21 (+1 Dex, +10 natural); touch 11; flat-footed 20
BAB/Grp +6/+10
Attack +2 greatsword +13 (2d6+8)
Full-Attack +2 greatsword +13/+8 (2d6+8)
Space 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks Hold Person 3/day, Command 3/day
Special Qualities Undead traits, DR 10/wood
Saves Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +10
Abilities Str 18, Dex 13, Con -, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills Spot+17, Listen +17
Feats Run, Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 9
Treasure Double plus +2 greatsword plus whatever Gorl is guarding.
Alignment Lawful evil
Advancement 13-18 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment -

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss307/GreenStormElf/th_Photo6.jpg (http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss307/GreenStormElf/?action=view&current=Photo6.jpg)

The creature appears humanoid. He is wearing golden full plate armor, and in his helmet you can see only black space. His helmet is crowned with golden horns. He wields a massive greatsword with a topaz set into the end.

Gorl was once a human. He lived in the forest with his brothers. They all heard of an amazing treasure in the forest, and all set out on an expedition to find it. Eventually, after many perils, Gorl and his brothers found the treasure. However, a sudden fit of covetous rage led him to kill all his brothers. He stayed there, in a clearing overgrown with vines, guarding the treasure against intrusion. Eventually, his body decayed completely, but his soul in his armor still guards the area against intrusion.

Gorl is 6 feet tall and weighs 200 pounds. Gorl speaks Common, with a hollow, echoey voice.

Combat
Gorl challenges anyone who goes into his clearing. He tells them to fight him. If they do, he will fight them without using his Control and Hold Person abilities. If they don't, he will insult them, while using Command then Hold Person to make them come to him and stand still so he can execute him. He will never retreat, and fights to the death.

DR 10/wood (Su): Wood weapons, falling tree branches, and arrows without metal or stone heads counteract this. However, burning wood doesn't let you do fire damage without DR.

Hold Person, Control (Sp): Gorl can use Hold Person (as a sorcerer) 3/day (Will DC 22), not requiring a material component. In addition, he can use the Control ability. This functions as Hold Person, except he additionally gets to move the victim up to its base land speed in any direction as a move action in every round (DC 22). The save DC is Cha based.

The Tygre
2009-03-20, 10:16 PM
Oh my God, I can't believe someone besides me remembers this series. This is great stuff; you should try your hand at some of the other monsters that cropped up in the series.

xanaphia
2009-03-21, 05:43 PM
I will do more Deltora monsters.

The entire series seems to just be begging to be turned into a Monster Manual.

Added picture.