PDA

View Full Version : On Why V Isn't In Danger (From Dragons)

XBobbis
2009-03-20, 10:47 PM
Just something that burst into my brain while reading another thread.

On Mind Blank:

The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

V cast that before familicide; this means that no one can see her. No miracles (Tiamat), no wishes (high level casters), and no divination (the oracle). I've seen people asking why didn't Tiamat stop her; or why the oracle hasn't seen this coming. Mind blank stops divination, so anything that she does under the effects of mind blank the oracle will not see...in fact, no one can see using divination.

Granted, it gets wonky when you take epic spells into account; but generally, if something foils wish and miracle, epic spells aren't necessarily going to work.

TSED
2009-03-20, 10:56 PM
Spell effects end once the splice wears off, though.

And simple divinations at that point, for example, "who killed all those black dragons?" would answer it relatively quickly.

CallingCtulhu
2009-03-20, 10:57 PM
I belive Rich has stated before that plot comes before rules. Hmm, We'll just have to wait and see then, shall we?:smallwink:

Sgeo
2009-03-20, 10:59 PM
Given the Mind Blank, how was the IFCC+Qarr able to watch the fight on the HDTV?

Jayngfet
2009-03-20, 10:59 PM
Of course if someone looks for the dragon or V's family or in that general area the spell is pretty much rendered moot.

Voyager_I
2009-03-20, 11:58 PM
I'd imagine they could fit the pieces together despite Mindblank, assuming they were paying enough attention beforehand to notice the soul splicing of the most powerful mortal Necromancer to have ever lived. The spliced being casts Mindblank, and a few rounds later an entire family of dragons is eradicated with a spell unique to the aforementioned spliced Necromancer...this isn't exactly a job for Scooby Doo.

(given that she was, again, the most powerful mortal Necromancer ever, it seems reasonable that those knowledgeable in history or arcane lore, or even deities who were around during her life, would know who she was and recognize the either the spell itself or the magnitude of its effects as something only she would be capable of. In fact, it's entirely possible that the ABD herself recognizes the spell, as she seems even more horrified than usual.)

Alysar
2009-03-21, 12:50 AM
Wouldn't Tiamat just be able to speak to Mama Dragon directly in the afterlife and ask her what happened?

Willis888
2009-03-21, 12:56 AM
I don't think Mind Blank provides that kind of protection.

It will not stop "I wish to know where is V right now?"

It will stop "I wish to know where V plans to go next?"

I think V's motive remains hidden, but actions can be scryed.

ericgrau
2009-03-21, 02:11 AM
No, it seems to protect against scrying too by the description. As for Tiamat, gods usually have little trouble breaking mortal magic. That could be why the fiendish TV is still working too, or b/c it was already targetting V, or simply for the sake of plot; i.e., it's too minor and distracting to be worth addressing accurately. Or the TV could continue to scry V's area and still show the fight with Vaarsuvius not showing up directly (but speech, slung spells, etc. still flying about).

Willis888
2009-03-21, 11:29 AM
I was a bit loose with my use of the term "scry". Something like a Wish would be needed, as a standard scrying spell would indeed be ineffective.

Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it.

I interpret "it" to be the subject's mind, rather than the subject itself, due to syntactical proximity.

It seems like Wish is only rebuffed when it is used to gain information about the subject's mind. So, standing in front of a crystal ball and casting "I Wish to be shown the current location of the spell components Varsuvius was carrying 30 minutes ago." should work.

Also, if you are a deity with near-perfect knowledge of the state of the world before Mind Blank was cast and a high Wisdom score, you'd be able to predict with a high degree of accuracy what would come next. In addition, you've likely been watching the IFCC and know that the crazy elf on the deserted island wants to save its family from the ABD. Because V is acting as an agent of the IFCC, you'd plant spys (invisible imps maybe) with V, the ABD and the elf's family, thus would have a physical set of eyes at the scene of Familicide and no scrying needed.