PDA

View Full Version : [1ed-3.5] Planning on buying a projector. What types are used for D&D?

newbDM
2009-03-21, 12:39 AM
I am planning on buying a projector for my bedroom, so that I can plug my new gaming PC into and have everything displayed on a wall. With a beanbag chair and and a wireless mouse+keyboard set it should be quite nice. :smallbiggrin:

I figure since I will already be getting a projector, I might as well get one which can also work as a gaming aid.

Although I have never actually seen such a setup, I occasional hear or read about people using them for various purposes in D&D.

So I am hoping the pros and vets here can tell me a) What exactly are projectors useful for in D&D, and b) what type/kind/brand/etc I should try to get.

I currently have $60 in Best Buy credit which is about to expire, and a bit over $300 in Amazon credit. Because of this something sold at either Best Buy or Amazon.com would be preferred.

As always, and help would be greatly appreciated!

Dogmantra
2009-03-21, 05:58 AM
The people at www.penpaperpixel.org
used one of these: http://www.infocus.com/service/lp4xx/specifications.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=1&

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 09:35 AM
One would think that one of those Smartboard dealies would be helpful for tabletop gaming. Essentially, it's a projection that you can also draw on, and it draws on the computer as well. I'm not sure how much more expensive than a regular projector these are, and it may be a lot cheaper to just grab a Bamboo tablet is you really want to be able to draw things easily.

THAC0
2009-03-21, 01:10 PM
Smart boards are very, very expensive.

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 01:12 PM
Smart boards are very, very expensive.
Are they? I had no idea, I'm just throwing ideas out there.