PDA

View Full Version : Am I right in thinking...

delguidance
2009-03-21, 11:35 AM
The spliced souls are from completely different parts of the multiverse? When the fiends discussed their reputations I got the feeling that these were all magicians from other planets or planes?

And the other thing I'm thinking is did anyone actually kill any of the souls or did they die of old age? Cause whoever beat these guys would have to be pretty awesome.

Ancalagon
2009-03-21, 12:07 PM
Well, they could have lived and died shortly after the world was created... so it's possible their life and anything related to it (who killed them, in which countries they lived etc) does not have anything to do with the current world.

NerfTW
2009-03-21, 12:09 PM
Remember Spike's speech to Buffy, all it takes is one bad day.

Considering how V was ambushed, and how Dorukon was killed in SOD, there's plenty of ways to kill an epic wizard if everyone wants them dead.

TheBST
2009-03-21, 12:15 PM
Given the slim chances of anyone reaching epic level (even Xykon needed years of undeath to achieve it), they're could all be from different ages of history- maybe even the first world before the Snarl attacked.

D&D doesn't really go down the 'life on other planets' route, and all three are humanoid, so I'd say the chance sof them being outsiders or extra-terrestrials is low.

Jayngfet
2009-03-21, 12:28 PM
D&D doesn't really go down the 'life on other planets' route, and all three are humanoid, so I'd say the chance sof them being outsiders or extra-terrestrials is low.

Not to veer off topic, but I remember several sourcebooks mentioning creatures from other planets using either spelljammers(not in the actual setting), or else using portals to go from world to world.

factotum
2009-03-21, 01:11 PM
Given that the sorcerer has grey hair and beard, it seems likely we see those souls in the state they were at the time they died--and the other two certainly don't look old! (I suppose they MIGHT be seeing themselves as idealised versions of themselves, like Roy's Mother did in Celestia, but you kind of suspect that damned souls wouldn't get a luxury like that).

Radar
2009-03-21, 03:01 PM
Given that the sorcerer has grey hair and beard, it seems likely we see those souls in the state they were at the time they died--and the other two certainly don't look old! (I suppose they MIGHT be seeing themselves as idealised versions of themselves, like Roy's Mother did in Celestia, but you kind of suspect that damned souls wouldn't get a luxury like that).
Or they employed magic to stop/reverse aging. I'm quite sure one can pull it off with epic spellcasting even if it would require sucking out life-force from other people and we are talking about damned souls here - they would definetly do it if they could.

magic9mushroom
2009-03-21, 09:18 PM
1) The Material Plane explicitly contains countless planets.

2) This is supported in OotS by Ganonron's description.

3) The OotS world isn't that old. We don't know exactly how long it's been, but the dating system would seem to provide a clue.

4) We see the souls as they see themselves, as Roy's mum explained to Roy. This isn't a "luxury", it's the way the Outer Planes work.

5) There is an Epic Feat called Extended Life Span, make of it what you will.

What I find interesting is that they're all human.