PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Magic #1: The Wind Mage

Zeta Kai
2009-03-21, 05:02 PM
Aeromancer
(AKA Wind Mage)
The Aeromancer is a mage dedicated to the study of air: what it is, how it moves, & why it flows. Seeking to be master of the winds, an Aeromancer gains the ability to control the atmosphere itself. Aeromancers learn to produce gale-force winds, draw the breath out of other creatures, & even create devastating storms.

http://fc15.deviantart.com/fs5/i/2004/277/0/d/Lady_Wind_Mage_by_syrusb.jpg
Requirements

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level spells
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks
Special: must know at least one 3rd-level or higher evocation spell
Fastest Route: Sor 6 or Wiz 6

Class Information
Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: The Aeromancer’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Profession (Wis), & Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table 1-1: The Aeromancer (PrC)
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Wind Resistance 1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Stinging Breeze|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Sudden Gust|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Wind Blast, WindRes 2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Air Force|--
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Suffocation|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Gale Wind, WindRes 3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Sonic Boom|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Hurricane|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Tornado, WindRes 4|--[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Aeromancer. See level progression on Table 1-1: The Aeromancer (PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Wind Resistance: At 1st level, all wind effects are 1 step lower for you; you treat tornado-force winds are if they were only hurricane-force, you treat windstorms as if they were only severe winds, & you treat strong winds as if they were only moderate; this wind resistance increases to 2 steps at 4th level, 3 steps at 7th level, & 4 steps at 10th level

Stinging Breeze (Su): At 2nd level, you can strike opponents with a stinging breeze at will; this is a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6 points of slashing damage per class level; no saving throw allowed; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Sudden Gust (Sp): Three times per day, at 3rd level, you can strike opponents with a severe blast of air (up to 50mph) that originates from you, affecting all creatures in its path; this ability is identical to the gust of wind spell; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Wind Blast (Su): Three times per day, at 4th level, you can unleash a strong wind (60’ cone, originating from your position) lasting 1d6 rounds per class level (see Table: Wind Effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds) in the DMG); you can control the direction of the wind with a successful Concentration check (DC10) each round; strong winds produce the following effects: 21-30mph winds; all ranged attacks have a -2 penalty (except siege weapons, which are unaffected), as are Listen checks are at a -2 penalty; Tiny or smaller creatures are Knocked Down, while Small or larger creatures are unaffected; Fortitude save DC10; strong winds automatically extinguish unprotected flames (candles, torches, & the like); initiating this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, while the Concentration checks are considered swift actions

Air Force (Su): Twice per day, at 5th level, you can unleash a severe wind (60’ cone, originating from your position) lasting 1d6 rounds per class level (see Table: Wind Effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds) in the DMG); you can control the direction of the wind with a successful Concentration check (DC15) each round; severe winds produce the following effects: 31-50mph winds; all ranged attacks have a -4 penalty (except siege weapons, which are unaffected), as are Listen checks are at a -4 penalty; Tiny or smaller creatures are Blown Away, Small creatures are Knocked Down, Medium creatures are checked, & Large or larger creatures are unaffected; Fortitude save DC15 to resist; in addition to automatically extinguishing any unprotected flames, winds of this magnitude cause protected flames (such as those of lanterns) to dance wildly & have a 50% chance of extinguishing these lights; initiating this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, while the Concentration checks are considered swift actions

Suffocation (Su): At 6th level, you can draw the air out of a person’s lungs, preventing them from breathing; you can choose any one creature within 60’; Fortitude save (DC10 + ˝ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) to resist; any creature successfully hit cannot breathe; you must concentrate to maintain the effect; this effect lasts a number of rounds equal to 4 × your class level, or until you fail a Concentration check (whichever comes first); each Concentration check is considered a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Gale Wind (Su): Twice per day, at 7th level, you can unleash a windstorm (40’ wide) lasting 1d6 rounds per class level (see Table: Wind Effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds) in the DMG); you can control the direction of the windstorm with a successful Concentration check (DC18) each round; windstorm-force winds produce the following effects: 51-74mph winds; all ranged attacks are impossible (except with siege weapons, which have a -4 penalty on attack rolls), as are Listen checks are at a -8 penalty due to the howling of the wind; Small or smaller creatures are Blown Away, Medium creatures are Knocked Down, Large or Huge creatures are checked, & Gargantuan or Colossal creatures are unaffected; Fortitude save DC18; powerful enough to bring down branches if not whole trees, windstorms automatically extinguish unprotected flames & have a 75% chance of blowing out protected flames, such as those of lanterns; while a windstorm’s wind speed can be as great as 74mph, the storm itself moves forward at an average of 6mph (roughly 50’ per round); initiating this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, while the Concentration checks are considered swift actions

Sonic Boom (Su): At 8th level, you can emit a deafening blast of supersonic air once every 1d6+4 rounds; this is a ranged touch attack with a 60’ range; any creature or object successfully hit takes 2d8 points of sonic damage; in addition, all creatures are knocked prone, deafened, & stunned for 1d4 rounds; Fortitude save (DC10 + ˝ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) to resist; deaf creatures are immune to the stun effect, but not the sonic damage or the knocking-prone effect; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Hurricane (Su): Once per day, at 9th level, you can unleash a hurricane (40’ wide base, 80’ wide top, 120’ tall, 30’ wide eye) lasting 1d6 rounds per class level (see Table: Wind Effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds) in the DMG); you can control the direction of the hurricane with a successful Concentration check (DC20) each round; hurricane-force winds produce the following effects: 75-174mph winds; all ranged attacks are impossible (except with siege weapons, which have a -8 penalty on attack rolls), as are Listen checks: all characters can hear is the roaring of the wind; Medium or smaller creatures are Blown Away, Large creatures are Knocked Down, Huge creatures are checked, & Gargantuan or Colossal creatures are unaffected; Fortitude save DC20; all flames are extinguished; while a hurricane’s rotational speed can be as great as 174mph, the funnel itself moves forward at an average of 3mph (roughly 25’ per round); hurricane-force winds often fell trees; initiating this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, while the Concentration checks are considered swift actions

Tornado (Su): Once per day, at 10th level, you can unleash a tornado (30’ wide base, 90’ wide top, 180’ tall, 20’ wide eye) lasting 1d6 rounds per class level (see Table: Wind Effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds) in the DMG); you can control the direction of the tornado with a successful Concentration check (DC25) each round; tornado-force winds produce the following effects: 175-300mph winds; all ranged attacks are impossible (even with siege weapons), as are Listen checks; Large or smaller creatures are Blown Away, Huge creatures are Knocked Down, & Gargantuan or Colossal creatures are checked; Fortitude save DC30; all flames are extinguished; instead of being blown away, characters in close proximity to a tornado who fail their Fortitude saves are sucked toward the tornado; those who come in contact with the actual funnel cloud are picked up & whirled around for 1d10 rounds, taking 6d6 points of damage per round, before being violently expelled (falling damage may apply); while a tornado’s rotational speed can be as great as 300mph, the funnel itself moves forward at an average of 30mph (roughly 250’ per round); a tornado uproots trees, destroys buildings, & causes other similar forms of major destruction; initiating this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, while the Concentration checks are considered swift actions

tyckspoon
2009-03-21, 05:29 PM
Needs more spellcasting advancement, especially since pretty much all the class features are things that could just as easily be replicated by having more spells. Personally, I'd make it at least 8/10 progression. Dropped levels at 5 and 10, for the sake of even distribution. If you want to keep it only half progression, at least consider shifting it so it starts at first level; as is, that entry level is one of the deadest I've ever seen. No BAB, only one save progresses, and Wind Resistance 1 is, to put it lightly, not the most useful trait, especially if you take the class as soon as it becomes available to you.

Stinging Breeze should either offer a save or require an attack roll; its power level is too low to justify the double failure points. Practically speaking, it's just going to replace 'I fire my crossbow' for turns where it's not worth casting a real spell, in the same way the offensive Reserve feats do.

Suffocation seems like it would make more sense as a Fort save.

Fax Celestis
2009-03-21, 05:45 PM
Needs more spellcasting advancement, especially since pretty much all the class features are things that could just as easily be replicated by having more spells. Personally, I'd make it at least 8/10 progression. Dropped levels at 5 and 10, for the sake of even distribution. If you want to keep it only half progression, at least consider shifting it so it starts at first level; as is, that entry level is one of the deadest I've ever seen. No BAB, only one save progresses, and Wind Resistance 1 is, to put it lightly, not the most useful trait, especially if you take the class as soon as it becomes available to you.

Stinging Breeze should either offer a save or require an attack roll; its power level is too low to justify the double failure points. Practically speaking, it's just going to replace 'I fire my crossbow' for turns where it's not worth casting a real spell, in the same way the offensive Reserve feats do.

Suffocation seems like it would make more sense as a Fort save.

Agreed on all counts.

Pie Guy
2009-03-22, 08:44 AM
And please put spaces between the abilities, it's really hard to read. Edit: And I thank you.

Also, agreed on above points.

JoshuaZ
2009-03-22, 09:58 AM
Instead of specifying that they "Cannot have Evocation as a prohibited school of magic" it probably makes more sense to just require that of the third level spells they know at least one be an evocation spell. That's closer to a standard way of constructing this sort of requirement and prevents weird stuff like a sorcerer with no evocation spells from entering the class.

Project Icarus
2009-03-22, 12:25 PM
Is Stinging Breeze 1d6 per class level or 1d6 per Aeromancer level?

Knaight
2009-03-22, 01:11 PM
I would increase the caster level increases to 8/10, and this class is just asking for a deflection bonus against ranged attacks, as a passive ability. Its a great concept, I love wind mages, but right now its not very powerful unless your dealing with archers, slingers, javelin throwers, etc. Air Force could also be renamed. The class is pretty weak upfront, by the end its respectable, but the magic loss does affect it.

Furthermore, Stinging Breeze could use work. The damage on it is fine, but you should be able to use it to bull rush people from a distance, at least at some point.

Also, the image is pretty bad.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/JosunUrashima/Rping%20Characters/SorenBlack.jpg
Maybe something like that would work better.

Zeta Kai
2009-03-22, 03:31 PM
I've implemented almost all of your suggestions. Except for the picture, which I like & is more fitting (I have to take a stand somewhere). Thank you all for your input.

Also, wherever "per class level" is used in a prestige class's features, it is usually assumed to mean "per level of this class". This is how I intend it to be read here, in any case.

Knaight
2009-03-22, 09:13 PM
You might want to specify the actual width of the hurricane and tornado. Right now we know how big the eye is, but not the actual width. I just noticed that now.

Zeta Kai
2009-03-25, 06:06 PM
You might want to specify the actual width of the hurricane and tornado. Right now we know how big the eye is, but not the actual width. I just noticed that now.

Oh my, how silly of me not to include that. The dimensions for a Hurricane (40’ wide base, 80’ wide top, 120’ tall, 30’ wide eye) & a Tornado (30’ wide base, 90’ wide top, 180’ tall, 20’ wide eye) are now listed above. Thanks for the catch.

Knaight
2009-03-25, 10:38 PM
Trust me, I feel just as dumb for not noticing that the first time through. It looks good now, I see no other issues with the class. If I played 3e, I might even use it. Probably would, I like wind mages.

Knaight
2009-03-30, 10:03 PM
Any chance of a PDF compilation of all the Masters of Magic coming out once your done with them?