PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Hideous Blow

Ent
2009-03-21, 06:10 PM
Sorry if this has been answered, I have searched the forums for it.

I'm pretty sure this is true, but can a Warlock using Hideous Blow "cast on the defensive" to not provoke an AoO (DC being 15 + half the Warlock's class levels)?

The important question: If they fail that Concentration check, is the entire Hideous Blow lost (including the melee attack part of the standard action)?

Starbuck_II
2009-03-21, 06:13 PM
Sorry if this has been answered, I have searched the forums for it.

I'm pretty sure this is true, but can a Warlock using Hideous Blow "cast on the defensive" to not provoke an AoO (DC being 15 + half the Warlock's class levels)?

The important question: If they fail that Concentration check, is the entire Hideous Blow lost (including the melee attack part of the standard action)?

Yes, as only the casting provokes. DC is 15 + Hideous Blows spell level (all invocations have a spell level)

Well, when you fail a concentration check what happens? That would be the issue.
So he would lose the invocation's effect as it was never finished.

MammonAzrael
2009-03-21, 06:16 PM
I would say you lose the effect of the Invocation, which means you probably lose the attack. But that would suck even more than the fact that you're using Hideous Blow in the first place. As a DM, I'd probably let you keep the hit. Hell, I'd probably just rule that HB doesn't provoke an AoO.

I'd suggest just taking Eldritch Glaive from Dragon Magic and forget about Hideous Blow.

monty
2009-03-21, 06:21 PM
The common saying is that Hideous Blow blows hideously. I'd get Eldritch Glaive instead for pretty much any build.

Ent
2009-03-21, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I know about the superiority of Eldritch Glaive. The ruling is for a PC I am DMing for who really wants to go with Hideous Blow at this point.

I have been playing it that a failed check just loses the Eldritch Blast and the melee attack can still be made, I was just hoping there was some clarification somewhere.

Starbuck_II
2009-03-21, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I know about the superiority of Eldritch Glaive. The ruling is for a PC I am DMing for who really wants to go with Hideous Blow at this point.

I have been playing it that a failed check just loses the Eldritch Blast and the melee attack can still be made, I was just hoping there was some clarification somewhere.

DC 16 (15 + 1 as that is Hideous Blows level) is a rather low check.
But yeah, by RAW you lose the whole effect which is the whole attack. Even if you didn't: you don't get 2 standard actions and it was a standard to use hideous (which you failed at).

Now, that said, HB is rather weak so your houserule is a much better rule.

Ent
2009-03-21, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the answers.

Starbuck_II: I'm pretty sure the Concentration DC will be 15 + half the Warlock's class levels since it is an Eldritch Blast effect, no?

Now if only there was a way for this NOT to slow down my combats:smallsigh:

The Glyphstone
2009-03-21, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the answers.

Starbuck_II: I'm pretty sure the Concentration DC will be 15 + half the Warlock's class levels since it is an Eldritch Blast effect, no?

Now if only there was a way for this NOT to slow down my combats:smallsigh:

Errata made Eldritch Blast a 1st level spell at all times unless modifed by an Essence.