PDA

View Full Version : A Disturbing Possibility [could be a SPOILER]

Arachu
2009-03-21, 07:06 PM
What if Haley has the Black Dragon bloodline?

Quick, someone contradict me

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 07:16 PM

Quick, someone contradict me
How, uh, how would that work? A dragon's blood would presumably surface several generations down the line. Chances that she is related to this specific Black Dragon, even if she did have dragon blood, are slim. Why Haley, even? Why not Xykon, who is a sorcerer? Why not Roy, who's black? Why not V's familiar, because....well, why not?

Arachu
2009-03-21, 07:32 PM
Haley's obsessed with treasure. Though, I have a (barely) more convinving argument...

When Haley was still talking gibberish, and she was eating dinner with Elan, she said a lot of things that Elan could not understand, certain that if she said the right one, it would restore her voice.

The last (or, at least, close to last) thing she said translated to "Elan, I'm not exactly what you would call-" before she got cut off by the waiter.

She could "not exactly be" anything; what if the something is "human"?

I'm saying this because, Haley is V's best friend, and it's distinctly possible that she has dragon blood. If she does have some Black Dragon in her, then V's spell in 639 would have killed her.

V would go insane, much like if the ABD had succeeded in killing his family. (though likely in a different way)

Though, Zykon is the antagonist. Well, the main antagonist, regardless... He can't die yet. We're still using him.

Though by that same (improperly communicated) concept, Haley is a main character, and Elan is to have a happy ending (as per the quasi-noteworthy word of the ******* Oracle.)

But then, another possibility... That happy ending could be anything less than the worst thing it could've been, including spending his days with someone other than Haley. And it says nothing about the path to that happy ending...

So, it's either an "Oh, ****" moment, or bits of my 'argument' are reassuring...

But, regardless of whatever happened, no one could dispute that Haley dying would suck. And in some odd, roundabout way, that's kinda what I'm driving at. And here (in more white text), I'll point my finger at the people who said "I want V's family to die, as that would be a disturbing turn of events". I don't want this to happen (nor the former, I didn't want that either), but if it did, all **** would have a meltdown

Ted The Bug
2009-03-21, 11:29 PM
Why not Roy, who's black?

That's it! The missing piece! :D

Recaiden
2009-03-21, 11:40 PM
Because he's already dead?
I think that while it may have been "human" that she was going to say, the little part wouldn't have been black dragon. I personally think it's some sort of outsider.

evileeyore
2009-03-22, 01:46 AM

Elan is far more likely, what with magic running in his lineage...

Nale is a Sorceror and Elan is a Bard. In many campaigns (as well as the base implied 3.5 setting) Sorcerors and Bards get their magic from a Draconic or other fantastic heritage.

Which IMO would be a far crueler blow.

Haley: Elan was struck down by a bolt of blue lightning from the sky that we later found out killed all the Black Dragons in the world! Apparently his Father Lord Tyrannus was Half Black Dragon, it's where Elan got his Chaotic and Nale got his Evil... http://www.geocities.com/evileeyore/cry

Vaarsuvius: .... :smalleek:

factotum
2009-03-22, 02:07 AM
Haley: Elan was struck down by a bolt of blue lightning from the sky that we later found out killed all the Black Dragons in the world!

That ought to make V happy, not sad, because if blue lightning killed all the Black Dragons it wasn't him that did it--his spell was pink, not blue. :smallsmile:

oball
2009-03-22, 02:25 AM
I think we need to examine the facts here.

We know that Haley's father is human, as we see him in Strip 93 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html). But what about her mother? Strip 123 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html) shows that she inherited two gemstones from her mother. Who likes to hoard jewels?

Dragons.

Also, in Strip 131 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html), Haley freely admits that she is half-dragon. Now, why would she say that she was half-dragon if she actually wasn't?

Explain that, sceptics.

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-22, 02:41 AM
I thought that comment was sarcasm. I've never heard of Bards getting magic from Draconic sources (I assumed they were taught how to use it).

Raging Gene Ray
2009-03-22, 02:46 AM
Strip 123 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html) shows that she inherited two gemstones from her mother. Who likes to hoard jewels?

Dragons.

And Rogues...and lady-types...and anyone who likes money/valuables.

Also, in Strip 131 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html), Haley freely admits that she is half-dragon. Now, why would she say that she was half-dragon if she actually wasn't?

Ah say, that's a joke son, that's a joke!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-22, 02:58 AM
So in 131 there is also said that her father has no other blood relations. And dragons well..... Y'know. So I don't think its from her fathers side.

So that would leave her mothers side.

Also I don't know exactly how Rich draws them, but I figure that half-dragons would have more draconic traits, even in a style as simple as oots.

But its possible that she has dragon blood in her.

Mik Sneakyfeet
2009-03-22, 03:16 AM
This is a joke, right?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-22, 03:30 AM
I think so, but all in good sillyness, eh?:smallbiggrin:

Ikialev
2009-03-22, 04:52 AM
Apparently his Father Lord Tyrannus was Half Black Dragon, it's where Elan got his Chaotic and Nale got his Evil...

...why does this make sense. ._.

Belkster11
2009-03-22, 05:57 AM
I doubt we need to worry about Elan getting offed by 'Ssuvie. Look at the panels, all of them are dragons, half-dragons.

If Elan/Haley were going to be offed, I'd think they'd be the amongst them, but very, VERY BIG.

Silverraptor
2009-03-22, 10:46 AM
Haley's obsessed with treasure. Though, I have a (barely) more convinving argument...

When Haley was still talking gibberish, and she was eating dinner with Elan, she said a lot of things that Elan could not understand, certain that if she said the right one, it would restore her voice.

The last (or, at least, close to last) thing she said translated to "Elan, I'm not exactly what you would call-" before she got cut off by the waiter.

I'm saying this because, Haley is V's best friend, and it's distinctly possible that she has dragon blood. If she does have some Black Dragon in her, then V's spell in 639 would have killed her.

V would go insane, much like if the ABD had succeeded in killing his family. (though likely in a different way)

Well if this were ever true, look on the bright side. If Haley dies, she's in the loving and capable hands of Celia and the Thieves guild.haha. But in all seriousness, they would resurrect Haley because they had a contract binding deal. So Haley would come back to life regardless (pretty sure).

Though, Zykon is the antagonist. Well, the main antagonist, regardless... He can't die yet. We're still using him.

If Xykon ever saw that you used a "Z" instead of an "X", well, you have been warned.

Mr. Pin
2009-03-22, 02:00 PM
Well if this were ever true, look on the bright side. If Haley dies, she's in the loving and capable hands of Celia and the Thieves guild.haha. But in all seriousness, they would resurrect Haley because they had a contract binding deal. So Haley would come back to life regardless (pretty sure).

If Xykon ever saw that you used a "Z" instead of an "X", well, you have been warned.

Hey, good point! And that applies to the dragons as well. Far from preventing it, killing that many powerful magical critters practically ensured revenge at some point. It's almost certain that one of them knew an evil cleric with resurrection. And boy, won't they be pissed when they get back.

Silverraptor
2009-03-22, 02:25 PM
Also, if Haley were part Black-dragon and related to the ABD in any way. Then doesn't that mean that Haley was eaten by a distant family member? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0183.html)

Flag_Pole_Sitta
2009-03-22, 02:42 PM

[/COLOR]

I'm pretty sure she was going to say "I'm not exactly straight."

Volkov
2009-03-22, 03:39 PM

Though by that same (improperly communicated) concept, Haley is a main character, and Elan is to have a happy ending (as per the quasi-noteworthy word of the a***ole Oracle.)

But then, another possibility... That happy ending could be anything less than the worst thing it could've been, including spending his days with someone other than Haley. And it says nothing about the path to that happy ending...

So, it's either an "Oh, s***" moment, or bits of my 'argument' are reassuring...

But, regardless of whatever happened, no one could dispute that Haley dying would suck. And in some odd, roundabout way, that's kinda what I'm driving at. And here (in more white text), I'll point my finger at the people who said "I want V's family to die, as that would be a disturbing turn of events". I don't want this to happen (nor the former, I didn't want that either), but if it did, all Hells would have a meltdown
If Xykon died, all that would happen is that he loses his body for a little. Then he gets up and He, Tsusiko, and Red Cloak fight V, defeating Hir in a Magical duel to end all duels. Simply because they have three full round actions, V still only gets one.

Flickerdart
2009-03-22, 03:47 PM
My bet's on "honest", what with all the "hoarding cash to pay for her father's bail" stuff. Unless she's mentioned that before. Anyone got a link to that thread that translates her lines?

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-22, 08:46 PM
We're approaching the point where the order reunites. Killing another main character at this point seems massively unlikely.

Apparently his Father Lord Tyrannus was Half Black Dragon
I never trusted that Count Dooku fellah... :smallwink:

Also, in Strip 131, Haley freely admits that she is half-dragon. Now, why would she say that she was half-dragon if she actually wasn't?

Explain that, sceptics.
She's visibly winking as she says it. It was a joke, and Durkon laughed. Did you seriously think she was telling the truth there?

Also I don't know exactly how Rich draws them, but I figure that half-dragons would have more draconic traits, even in a style as simple as oots.
They do, there are a few in the current strip.

Anyone got a link to that thread that translates her lines?
There ya go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909)

multilis
2009-03-22, 10:01 PM
A more disturbing possibillity... ;-)

Miko is part dragon. When all the relatives of the dragons ask oracle what champion they can raise to avenge... Miko will be chosen! (And rather than follow the 12, she will now be the Chosen of the Dragon God)

Fact: Miko was the toughest of her group, so tough that she even could survive for a bit with only half a body!
Fact: She was suppose to be a recurring charactor
Fact: Giant plans things long in advance

There you have it, indisputable proof!

magic9mushroom
2009-03-22, 10:22 PM
@Arachu: please do not use white text if you intend anyone to read it who isn't already replying to you.

@hypotheses: possible but highly improbable.

Silverraptor
2009-03-22, 10:24 PM
A more disturbing possibillity... ;-)

Miko is part dragon. When all the relatives of the dragons ask oracle what champion they can raise to avenge... Miko will be chosen! (And rather than follow the 12, she will now be the Chosen of the Dragon God)

Fact: Miko was the toughest of her group, so tough that she even could survive for a bit with only half a body!
Fact: She was suppose to be a recurring charactor
Fact: Giant plans things long in advance

There you have it, indisputable proof!

Sorry but these are not FACTS.

False Fact #1: Miko was dying, most PC's would probably last a round if they were chopped in half. Remember, talking is a free action, so technically it wasn't that long that she held out for.
False Fact #2: No where does Rich mention that she is a recurring character. To me he makes it sounds like the opposite.
False Fact #3: You don't know that. He could've been stumped in a corner and went back to find some details in his story that he could use to move the story along.

Alysar
2009-03-22, 10:42 PM
How, uh, how would that work? A dragon's blood would presumably surface several generations down the line. Chances that she is related to this specific Black Dragon, even if she did have dragon blood, are slim.

You mean like a million-to-one shot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html)?

tcrudisi
2009-03-22, 10:43 PM
She's visibly winking as she says it. It was a joke, and Durkon laughed. Did you seriously think she was telling the truth there?

I opened up this thread with the intent of having a good laugh. Those intentions lasted until someone linked comic 131. Yeah, the first few times I read that comic I thought Haley was joking. Suddenly it seems as though she might have been telling the truth.

Is it likely? The answer is still probably not. But I don't put it past Rich. He's very good at dropping in things a few hundred strips ago that become important later. That just seems like it could have been, and even hidden inside a joke. All good liars know that you tell the truth a lot, especially when you are "joking" if you don't want anyone to ever suspect it. I hide the truth in my jokes all the time and people never suspect those of actually being true.

Just saying -- I now like this theory. It would not surprise me to find out that it's true, though I do not think it will.

Warren Dew
2009-03-22, 10:57 PM
Though, Zykon is the antagonist. Well, the main antagonist, regardless... He can't die yet.

Sure he could, as long as Haley dies too.

"I wish I hadn't agreed to that pact." Vaarsuvius almost certainly has full wish at the moment.

Silverraptor
2009-03-22, 11:43 PM
I opened up this thread with the intent of having a good laugh. Those intentions lasted until someone linked comic 131. Yeah, the first few times I read that comic I thought Haley was joking. Suddenly it seems as though she might have been telling the truth.

Is it likely? The answer is still probably not. But I don't put it past Rich. He's very good at dropping in things a few hundred strips ago that become important later. That just seems like it could have been, and even hidden inside a joke. All good liars know that you tell the truth a lot, especially when you are "joking" if you don't want anyone to ever suspect it. I hide the truth in my jokes all the time and people never suspect those of actually being true.

Just saying -- I now like this theory. It would not surprise me to find out that it's true, though I do not think it will.

In Jack Sparrow's words: "I actually tell the truth quite alot, yet people are always surprised."

David Argall
2009-03-23, 01:46 AM
False Fact #2: No where does Rich mention that she is a recurring character. To me he makes it sounds like the opposite.
I believe he did actually, but in a quick look, I only find NCPB
Round 3 notes: "...soon to introduce Miko as an antagonist who would be around on and off for the rest of the OOTS storyline."
This is more than a little hard to reconcile with 464, and certainly sounds like she was intended to pop up every hundred strips or so.
Round 8 notes: "...finally defining her role from this point forward...Any future meetings..."
Now technically this is correct language, but there was still a grand total of 1 Miko-OOTS meeting after this point. The casual reading would certainly expect more.

False Fact #3: You don't know that. He could've been stumped in a corner and went back to find some details in his story that he could use to move the story along.
We don't KNOW that, but all the evidence suggests the plot is heavily lined out already. A number of us doubt that the 4 words prophecy was one of his finer efforts, but it's obvious that he would have been quite rash to have published the prophecy without a "solution" already in hand.

X2
2009-03-23, 02:05 AM
Thats a left field theory, I dont think Haley is part dragon...

Estrosiath
2009-03-23, 03:33 AM
Amazing troll :P

vrox
2009-03-25, 11:24 PM
Haley's obsessed with treasure.[/COLOR]

I thought that this was because her father..

SandyCaesar
2009-03-26, 12:49 AM
Even if the original theory were true, I doubt that Haley would have enough of the Black Dragon bloodline in her to be hit by the familicide curse. If you look at the comic, all of the ones hit by the curse had visibly black-draconic features. Even the silly-looking ones in the wizard robes and the half-centaur (I don't want to know...)

It could be that Giant left out a few pictures, but I'm disinclined to believe that at the moment.

Of course, that doesn't stop Haley from being half-dragon. After all, Black isn't the only variety of dragon that exists...