PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Character Class: Dreadnaught

Fax Celestis
2006-06-27, 07:30 PM
The Dreadnaught class is a warrior separate from both the fighter and the barbarian. Where the fighter enters combat with style and tactics and the barbarian enters in fury, the dreadnaught wades in swinging, soaking blows and fearing little.

Abilities: Constitution is your prime statistic, boosting your already immense amount of hit points. Strength will help you end combats quicker, and Dexterity will help you dodge and give you access to feats that may make your life easier. Probably least important is Charisma: nobody likes a brawler.

Races: Dwarves and half-orcs are the most common among dreadnaughts, though there are some human and half-elven ones. Perhaps the most rare are elven and halfing dreadnaughts, though they are certainly not unheard of.

Alignment: Dreadnaughts, though they can be of any alignment, tend towards chaos.

Hit Die: d12

Starting Gold : 3d4x10 gp.

Starting Age : As fighter (PH 109).
Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dreadnaughts are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient with all kinds of armor and all shields.

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride

Power Attack : At 1st level, the dreadnaught gains the use of the Power Attack feat.

Cleave : At 2nd level, the dreadnaught gains the Cleave feat.

Rugged : At 3rd level, the dreadnaught gains +3 hit points. This ability increases by three points every three levels (+6 hit points at 6th level, +9 points at 9th level, etc., up to +18 at 18th level). These bonuses replace, not stack with, each other.

Endurance: At 5th level, the dreadnaught gains the Endurance feat.

Great Cleave : At 6th level, the dreadnaught gains the Great Cleave feat.

Damage Reduction : At 7th level, the dreadnaught gains Damage Reduction 1/-. Every four levels thereafter (11th, 15th, and 19th), the dreadnaught's damage reduction increases by one.

Diehard: At 10th level, the dreadnaught gains the Diehard feat.

Supreme Toughness: Starting at 14th level, if the dreadnaught makes a successful Fortitude saving throw against an attack or effect which normally deals half damage or only has a partial effect on a successful save, he instead takes no damage and is not affected by the spell.

Supreme Cleave: At 20th level, the dreadnaught may take a five-foot step before attempting a cleave.

Religion
Most dreadnaughts worship Kord, Heironeous, or St. Cuthbert. Evil aligned dreadnaughts (of which there are a few) worship Nerull almost as a whole.

Other Classes
Barbarians and fighters get along with dreadnaughts the best, while wizards, clerics, and sorcerors tend to not deal with dreadnaughts. Rogues and rangers find them lacking in finesse, but bards like them as they make good stories.

Combat
Wade in, swing away, and draw fire off of your compatriots. You can take the abuse.

Dreadnaught Progression
{table]
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special

1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Power Attack

2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Cleave

3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Rugged +3

4th +4 +4 +1 +1 -

5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Endurance

6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Great Cleave, Rugged +6

7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 Damage Reduction 1/-

8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 -

9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Rugged +9

10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Diehard

11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 Damage Reduction 2/-

12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 Rugged +12

13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4 -

14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 Supreme Toughness

15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 Damage Reduction 3/-, Rugged +15

16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5 -

17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 -

18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 Rugged +18

19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6 Damage Reduction 4/-

20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Supreme Cleave[/table]

Two_the_Druid
2006-06-27, 07:45 PM
I really like it. It seems fairly balanced. I think I might submit it to my DM and ask him if I can play it

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 07:48 PM
I'd take it. I wish there was a class like it, but I'm not sure how balanced the HP thing is...that's a LOT of extra HP. Unless you meant to say each new gain on the "scale" negates the old bonus. That'd be mroe balanced, I think.

Rigeld2
2006-06-27, 07:50 PM
How could you possibly think this is a balanced class? Unless im missing something, d12 hd, DR, bonus feats, class abilities that are feats, free extra hit points, and a super fort save...

Fighters will be non existant, and Barbarians would be close.

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 07:52 PM
How could you possibly think this is a balanced class? Unless im missing something, d12 hd, DR, bonus feats, class abilities that are feats, free extra hit points, and a super fort save...

Fighters will be non existant, and Barbarians would be close.

I already said the bonus HP is too much, though perhaps you are right about the hit die as well. It's pretty much what the Fighter should be, so perhaps a D10.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-27, 07:52 PM
That's the one problem I can see with it, and I created it. A level 16 dreadnaught, like this (without replacements, that is) has about 290+ HP. A tad large. But all that means is he's got to get hit a few times with big spells or somesuch.

I could also change the DR to */magic instead of */- to weaken it.

Amiria
2006-06-27, 07:54 PM
It's too powerful. He only has 1 bonus feat less than a fighter:

Dreadnought: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave + 7 = 10

Fighter: 11

------

And on top of that he has a better hit die and all the toughness stuff and damage reduction. That's simply too much.

I would give him no bonus feats at all (apart from the Great Cleave tree) to balance it.

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 07:54 PM
That's the one problem I can see with it, and I created it. A level 16 dreadnaught, like this (without replacements, that is) has about 290+ HP. A tad large. But all that means is he's got to get hit a few times with big spells or somesuch.

I could also change the DR to */magic instead of */- to weaken it.

Naw. Barb and every other DR offering class (usually PrC) gets Dr/-. That part's fine IMO.

edit: Like I said, lower the hit die, and modify the HP bonuses. At least, that's what I'd do.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-27, 08:24 PM
I agree this is way off balance. I'd recommend one of two things. Either lose all the bonus feats (making him an HP monster with limited combat tricks up his sleeve) or reduce the bonus feats slightly* and the HP bonuses significantly (making him a tougher, but slightly less versatile, version of the fighter).

*Maybe 1 per 5 levels (5, 10, 15, 20)?

Either one of those seems closer to balanced but with the flavor of a dreadnought. It would be a class worth taking for someone who wants to be able to wade in to battle, but would leave a role for a Barbarian or Fighter.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-27, 08:25 PM
*edits*

How's it look now?

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 08:31 PM
*edits*

How's it look now?

Pretty darn decent. I see you went the remove all bonus feats route, *shrugs* (of course, leaving the pre-picked bonus ones, so that should be good), that should balance the HP bonuses fairly well I guess...See what others have to say. I would've just toned the bonuses down and made the bonus feats less sporadic, but I guess the other way seperates him more from the fighter. I just wish the fighter was, well, a better fighter sometimes...with less bonus feats and more, well, bonuses.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-27, 08:32 PM
Nothing says I can't swap it as a different class, though. But you're right, this character class is supposed to be a tank, not a fighter.

Although this class cross-classed with a Knight would be cool.

Raum
2006-06-27, 08:58 PM
It looks pretty good now, just one thing you might want to reconsider. The Supreme Toughness ability at 18th level allows him to add his class level to his Fort saves. Frankly I dislike the mechanic. I doubt it's severely overpowering because he'll seldom fail Fort saves anyway, but I can't think of any similar abilities. I'd recommend an ability similar to a hexblade's Mettle instead. He'll get more use out of it and it follows mechanics used by other classes.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-27, 09:00 PM
Might be a good idea, though I don't have that book handy.

Raum
2006-06-27, 09:02 PM
It's similar to evasion but for Fort saves if I remember correctly. Afraid I don't have the book in front of me either. :-/

LooseCannon
2006-06-27, 09:03 PM
My suggestion? I realize he's supposed to be a tank, but try dropping out the heavy armour proficiency. I don't think he needs it, and it allows for more balance. Less AC, more HP.

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 09:17 PM
My suggestion? I realize he's supposed to be a tank, but try dropping out the heavy armour proficiency. I don't think he needs it, and it allows for more balance. Less AC, more HP.

Why? The name and flavor practically screams heavy armor beefy boy IMO, though he could use other. It's not unbalancing anything I don't think...as for Mettle, It basically is evasion for Fort and Will. If a spell or somesuch would normall say Fort or Will "Half" or "Some sort of result anyway," then Mettle negates that as well upon a successful save.

Borax
2006-06-27, 09:32 PM
I have to say i like this class. i think ill use this to revamp my 3.0 epic barbarian 24/fighter 20 to a 3.5 barbarian 20/dreadnaught 20/fighter 4. this is going to be nuts! ;D ;D

Traveling_Angel
2006-06-28, 12:54 PM
Esentialy a base +32 to fortuide?

and you also just made gesalting heaven.

SilveryCord
2006-06-28, 01:37 PM
Just out of curiousity, is this at all inspired by the Legendary Dreadnought? If so, it'd be pretty funny to take 23 levels of Dreadnought and then 10 of Legendary Dreadnought :)

Overlord
2006-06-28, 01:45 PM
I like the flavor, and the idea is very good. However, the abilities need a bit of clarification and adjusting.

First, I think that the fortitude bonus from Supreme Toughness should indeed be switched to Mettle.

Second, do the X's toughness abilities stack with Rugged? It looks like they don't at first, but the hit points gained from the toughness abilities are identical to the hit points gained from Rugged at the level they are first acheived. So, are the three hit points from Bear's Toughness in addition to the three a dreadnought would gain from Rugged?

Third, are the X's Toughness abilities cumulative? Are the six hit points from Dwarf's Toughness cumulative with the three from Bear's Toughness?

Fax Celestis
2006-06-28, 02:33 PM
The toughnesses don't stack with each other, but do stack with Rugged. I suppose I should clarify that.

And it was indeed inspired by the Legendary Dreadnaught.

AmoDman
2006-06-28, 02:48 PM
The toughnesses don't stack with each other, but do stack with Rugged. I suppose I should clarify that.

And it was indeed inspired by the Legendary Dreadnaught.

The standard way of wording the way the toghnesses work, then, is by saying that the hp bonus received by [insert toughness] replaces the hp bonus gained by any previous toughness ability, though the toughness hp bonus does stack with hp bonus gaines from the rugged special ability. That addendum, essentially, goes into the description of each toughness ability (minus the first, though it could not stacking with rugged), and voila, the class makes more sense.

TheDarkOne
2006-06-28, 03:00 PM
Personally I'd say, if you want it to be a tank, I'd drop the power attack/Cleave chain, and replace it with either a good will save or an ability like the swashbucklers grace ability that gives the character a bonus to will saves.

Also, you don't need to have toughness abilities named differently. Just have one class feature and in the description say how it increases with each level.

You might also want a big ability at 20th, to make it worth it staying in the class. This would likely involve redistributing the other class abilities.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-28, 03:01 PM
Check now. Changed the Toughnesses, did a little thing to the Supreme Toughness.

TheDarkOne
2006-06-28, 03:08 PM
Check now. Changed the Toughnesses, did a little thing to the Supreme Toughness.

See my post, this is the way you'd do it if it were a chain of feats. For class features that do the same thing just with a higher number, you give them all the same name.

so it might read

"*Something* Toughness: At 3rd level the Dreadnaught gets +3 hp. At 6th level this increases to +6. ect."

there's really no reason to have different names.

Raum
2006-06-28, 03:22 PM
Supreme Toughness : At 18th level, the dreadnaught gains +18 hit points. This ability replaces Dragon's Toughness. In addition, if a spell or effect would be reduced to half or no damage by a successful reflex or will save, he may instead make a fortitude save for the same effect.
This is a bit much. It basically gives the class all good saves since there are very few effects where this won't apply.

I'd recommend something similar to the following:
[list]If he makes a successful Fortitude saving throw against an attack or effect which normally deals half damage or only has a partial effect on a successful save, he instead takes no damage and is not affected by the spell. [/list

Maerok
2006-06-28, 03:28 PM
Power Attack, Cleave, and Great Cleave don't really seem to fit into a class devoted to defenses (extra HP, DR, etc.).

AmoDman
2006-06-28, 03:33 PM
Power Attack, Cleave, and Great Cleave don't really seem to fit into a class devoted to defenses (extra HP, DR, etc.).

Ummm...It's not devoted to defenses. It's devoted to being a Dreadnaught that is able to wade his bad ass into the midst of battle taking all the damage in the world while cleaving and crushing the weaklings around him...

Raum
2006-06-28, 03:40 PM
I kind of agree with you but I'd recommend dropping the shield profiency instead of the heavy armor. A true dreadnaught would disdain shields after all! :)

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-28, 03:51 PM
This comes pretty close to something I'd not only let in my game, but something I'd actually like to see in play.

Here are my opinions/suggestions from this point:

1. Change the last sentence of Supreme Toughness to Raum's suggested: "If [the Dreadnaught] makes a successful Fortitude saving throw against an attack or effect which normally deals half damage or only has a partial effect on a successful save, he instead takes no damage and is not affected by the spell." I agree with Raum's prior comment, the way it is now gives him all good saves in many situations. It's just too good.

2. Absolutely keep Power Attack-Cleave-Great Cleave. Sure he's meant to be a tough guy, but he also needs to be able to wade in and hack. Nothing fancy, though, just hack - and this chain gives you that.

3. Absolutely keep the heavy armor proficiency. To me heavy armor is key to the concept.

4. I'd keep the shield proficiency, too. When your job is to wade in and draw fire, it's nice to have the option of maximum protection.

5. I agree with TheDarkOne that as a class feature the "X's Toughness" names should be replaced with a single named effect that increases at certain levels (like you did with the DR.)

As I said, with those last tweaks, I'd like to see this in play.

Very good idea and well executed Fax_Celestis!

Behold_the_Void
2006-06-28, 04:35 PM
Isn't there a Supreme Cleave ability that a certain class gets? That might make a good 20th level ability.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-28, 05:17 PM
Isn't there a Supreme Cleave ability that a certain class gets? That might make a good 20th level ability.

It was a class feature from Sword and Fist and maybe Masters of the Wild. I don't know if it's ever been brought up to 3.5 or turned into a feat. I think not; I seem to recall some debates about its balance. (It allows an extra five foot step between each attack in a series of cleave attacks.) As a 20th level class feature it might actually be (more) balanced. Interesting idea.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-06-28, 05:55 PM
Drop on the the Dervish dance ability with the ability to wear medium armor and defensive bonuses for two weaopin fighting, and there is your tank.

Draco_Ignifer
2006-06-28, 06:24 PM
I'd strongly recommend reverting the hit die back to d12, and dropping the "Rugged" ability. You get the same average HP either way, and it it adds a better feel to have the d12 (d10 + 1 just doesn't have the same feel to it as rolling the larger hit die)

AmoDman
2006-06-29, 01:56 AM
It was a class feature from Sword and Fist and maybe Masters of the Wild. I don't know if it's ever been brought up to 3.5 or turned into a feat. I think not; I seem to recall some debates about its balance. (It allows an extra five foot step between each attack in a series of cleave attacks.) As a 20th level class feature it might actually be (more) balanced. Interesting idea.

I believe I saw some discussing on these boards in PHB II, though I could be mistaken...but I think it is somehwere in 3.5

Fax Celestis
2006-06-29, 03:04 AM
Updated. How's it look?

Behold_the_Void
2006-06-29, 12:40 PM
I like it. The Dreadnought really should have a d12 hit die.

Catch
2006-06-29, 12:55 PM
I think Supreme Toughness comes a little late. The class has a nice flavor to it, but the abilities feel rather few and far between. Ever notice how most nonspellcasting class get something almost every level? I'd suggest adding "fluff" abilities, that aren't particularly powerful, but fit the flavor. Like Endurance and Diehard as bonus feats. Both of those would certainly fit the flavor. Stuff like that.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-29, 01:18 PM
Updated. How's it look?

I like it. You have two class features called "Rugged" though. The second one should be called something else: Brawny, Burly, Hale, Hardy, etc.

I would suggest playing it at this point. See how it works in play. I wouldn't change a thing about this now.

I agree with Catch that some fluff abilities might be more gratifying for the player. I considered suggesting it before - for just a couple of the gaps. But even small features add up, and you don't want to overpower it. Even if you stick to the "weaker" feats, Endurance, Diehard, Athletic, maybe Improved Shield Bash, they fit the theme but there's a power creep. I think you could dole out the rest of the Power Attack chain, which would fit the concept, but would be very overpowered. (I think this is the path not taken from before - when you had the bonus feats.) Anyway, I wouldn't add anything else until I'd seen the thing in play and see if it needs more fluff feats to be satisfying for players.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-29, 01:34 PM
I think I'm going to deem this Beta before playtesting.

Shadeus
2006-06-29, 02:03 PM
Overall, I like the idea. But I have to agree with some previous posters that the "rugged" bonus HP are a little over the top. Think of the worst case and put in Improved Toughness (1 hp/level) and Toughness and more hit point goodness. The d12 hit points seem sufficient to me.

One thing you might want to consider is having "paths" similar to a ranger. Maybe instead of the cleave path, you have a defensive path. Give them the open to pick up armor specialization or shield specialization, or dodge/mobility (without the standard pre-reqs).

Just a thought.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-29, 02:17 PM
Overall, I like the idea. But I have to agree with some previous posters that the "rugged" bonus HP are a little over the top. Think of the worst case and put in Improved Toughness (1 hp/level) and Toughness and more hit point goodness. The d12 hit points seem sufficient to me.

One thing you might want to consider is having "paths" similar to a ranger. Maybe instead of the cleave path, you have a defensive path. Give them the open to pick up armor specialization or shield specialization, or dodge/mobility (without the standard pre-reqs).

Just a thought.

I forgot to clarify that the Rugged's don't stack, they replace. So essentially, this class has Improved Toughness built into it.

I could probably swap that out...put in "Improved Toughness" at first level, instead of "Rugged +X" every three levels. But it looks so bare that way.

Your idea for paths is a good one. Let me consider it, and consult my books.

sin_sephiroth
2006-06-29, 02:23 PM
wow, what an overpowered class. seriously, its rediculous. i can only think of two situations where a class like that would be helpful. either its a group of people brand new to the game and dont kno how to play. in this case, its good because it wont get them killed so easy, plus its just a fighter, so you dont have to worry about complications like spell resistance or wisdom bonus to your god (blah blah). the other way this juggernaut of the unbalanced is useful is in a high power campaign against the tarrasque or dracolich or something, in which case you would need something to take 200 damage for you. but for all 99% in the in-between of these two extremes, it would make the game unbalanced and not right. however... it DOES have potential if tweaked down a bunch. give it a d10 and not quite so much hp and damage reduction, and you have a very playable character. kudos to you for thinking it up.

sin_sephiroth
2006-06-29, 02:25 PM

Just a thought.

wow. that is such a good idea, i kick myself for not thinking it up myself. you can completely disregard my earlier critisism, that would totally balance out the class.

Behold_the_Void
2006-06-29, 04:57 PM
For some reason I'm really thinking this needs to get Improved Grapple and the Bullrush feats somewhere. Possibly as a path.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-29, 06:33 PM
I agree the paths idea is a good one. There was a point that we diverged between the "HP monster with limited combat tricks up his sleeve" and the "tougher, but slightly less versatile, version of the fighter" as I described them

The way you/we went was the HP Monster. I think the second one - the Basher - would have fewer HP boosts and a specific set of bonus feats (Die Hard, Endurance, Athletic, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder). But rather than the choice you were offering, I'd assign them at set levels.

As is now it seems fine to me, the other path seems more likely to be overpowered.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-29, 06:38 PM
Paths are probably a good idea. However, I'm not sure how one would come up with a level 20 for each of those paths. "Supreme Sunder"? What, does that allow you to break their armor off of their bodies? "Supreme Grapple", putting people into Full Nelsons from downtown?

I'm open to ideas at this point. I'd like to do paths, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Roland St. Jude
2006-06-29, 07:55 PM
What I, and I assume others mean by "paths" is not additional extreme versions of feats, but a way that the same class can be taken in two different, and mutually exclusive directions. Like the Ranger. Who can choose to go the ranged route (and gets associated feats) or the two weapon fighter route (and gets associated feats).

So here you'd have the HP monster path and the Basher Path. Maybe I'll try to work something up tonight to show what I'm probably not explaining very well.

Frankly, I'd play the class as-is and see how it goes.

Behold_the_Void
2006-06-30, 01:14 AM
Maybe just throw a few bonus feats in. Not a whole lot, but enough for them to get a bit more in the way of combat ability.

I'd have to see how the class plays out, it does look at least decent as it is now.

Shadeus
2006-06-30, 09:39 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just some thoughts off the top of my head:

Path of Endurance:

HP bonus at different levels. Maybe +3, +6, +9, and whatever the top one can be an HP bonus + an ability. Maybe an "improved evasion" version of Mettle where you auotmatically take half damage.

Path of Power:

You have it already: the cleave path

Path of Defense:

AC bonuses. Maybe it starts out with a simple Dodge feat. Then maybe shield spec. Next is maybe a bigger dodge bonus and it applies to against all attacks (think dwarven defender). The final one...dunno. Maybe grant your dodge bonus to others for a time.

AmoDman
2006-06-30, 10:51 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just some thoughts off the top of my head:

Path of Endurance:

HP bonus at different levels. Maybe +3, +6, +9, and whatever the top one can be an HP bonus + an ability. Maybe an "improved evasion" version of Mettle where you auotmatically take half damage.

Path of Power:

You have it already: the cleave path

Path of Defense:

AC bonuses. Maybe it starts out with a simple Dodge feat. Then maybe shield spec. Next is maybe a bigger dodge bonus and it applies to against all attacks (think dwarven defender). The final one...dunno. Maybe grant your dodge bonus to others for a time.

This makes the class overly-complicated and annoying, though. Plus, you split it up too much. Those "paths" by themselves basically suck ass, and cleave itself is [/i]not[/i] supposed to be away from the tanking. Nor is all out defense supposed to be a hallmark of this class. I think you're missing the point...

geez3r
2006-06-30, 11:14 AM
I simply love this class. I always love tanking with a barbarian, but this is a barbarian minus the rage but plus bonus feats. At first I thought you were making this class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/legendaryDreadnought.htm) a base class, but I like this class. I must use it. Especially in a gestalt game. What I like about this class is that because you get the cleave feats as bonuses, you open up options to take the rest of the power attack tree, which always interested me, but I wanted the cleave feats first.

Shadeus
2006-06-30, 05:35 PM
This makes the class overly-complicated and annoying, though. Plus, you split it up too much. Those "paths" by themselves basically suck ass, and cleave itself is [/i]not[/i] supposed to be away from the tanking. Nor is all out defense supposed to be a hallmark of this class. I think you're missing the point...

Actually, I think it allows for different characters of the same class to be different. It's about options which was kind of the hallmark of 3e.

I didn't say all-out defense was the hallmark of the class. It COULD be, but doesn't have to be. If I'm missing the point, perhaps you could help clarify.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-30, 09:18 PM
...now what about stepping into epic with this? How would we go about that? Mesh it with the Legendary Dreadnaught, or keep it it's own thing?

Squangos
2006-07-06, 05:08 PM
Couple of things you could add (off the top of my head):

Crush: Convert Armour Bonus to AC into extra damage (additional bonuses for weight of the armour / armour check penalties?).

Bunker: +4 bonus to AC for one round with a move action.

Wall: +6 bonus to AC for one round with a full-round action.

Maybe more if I think of them.

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-19, 03:35 PM
Sorry to de-rail, but I'm looking for a homebrew class that's basically this but with an ability called "Cascade of blades". Sorry, but I've been hunting for it for an eternaty and all this time I thought it was called Dreadnaught...

cherez
2009-06-19, 03:47 PM
Sorry to de-rail, but I'm looking for a homebrew class that's basically this but with an ability called "Cascade of blades". Sorry, but I've been hunting for it for an eternaty and all this time I thought it was called Dreadnaught...

Best I can give you is a prestige class that's basically this but with an ability called "Unrelenting Cascade". And it's called the Dreadnaught. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99504

Zeta Kai
2009-06-19, 03:48 PM
Holy threadomancy, Batman! This threads almost 3 years old!! :smalleek:

Nice class, though.

foxtrotpenguin
2009-06-19, 03:53 PM
Best I can give you is a prestige class that's basically this but with an ability called "Unrelenting Cascade". And it's called the Dreadnaught. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99504

That's exactly what I'm looking for and that's not a prestige class

Holy threadomancy, Batman! This threads almost 3 years old!! :smalleek:

Nice class, though.

The Homebrew Compilation Thread led me to this (Outdated) version of the class.

y2kjman
2009-07-27, 07:57 PM
Is there anyone that can fix the table? I do not possess the know how.

Lappy9000
2009-07-27, 08:03 PM
Reviving a thread that's been thread-o-mancy'd to death (puntastic!) isn't exactly kosher, but hey, you did ask a legitimate question.

Answer: Fax updated this class a looong time ago. Here's a link for ya'! [link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99504)]

y2kjman
2009-07-27, 08:07 PM
It is a class for his own d20 game he is putting together, I was wondering if someone could do the table for this one since I like it and it was made for 3.5 anyways. Instead of his 3.75 that is for.

Lappy9000
2009-07-27, 08:12 PM
It is a class for his own d20 game he is putting together, I was wondering if someone could do the table for this one since I like it and it was made for 3.5 anyways. Instead of his 3.75 that is for.Quote his post and fix the table yourself, perhaps? :smallconfused:

y2kjman
2009-07-27, 08:13 PM
Dont know how >.<

y2kjman
2009-07-27, 10:20 PM
{table=head] Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st | +1 | 2 | 0 | 0 | Power Attack
2nd | +2 |3|0|0| Cleave
3rd | +3|3|1|1|Rugged +3
4th | +4|4|1|1|
5th | +5|4|1|1|Endurance
6th | +6/+1|5|2|2|Great Cleave, Rugged +6
7th | +7/+2|5|2|2|Damage Reduction 1/-
8th | +8/+3|6|2|2|
9th | +9/+4|6|3|3|Rugged +9
10th | +10/+5|7|3|3|Diehard
11th | +11/+6/+1|7|3|3|Damage Reduction 2/-
12th | +12/+7/+2|8|4|4|Rugged +12
13th | +13/+8/+3|8|4|4|
14th | +14/+9/+4|9|4|4|Supreme Toughness
15th | +15/+10/+5|9|5|5|Damage Reduction 3/-
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1|10|5|5|
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2|10|5|5|
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3|11|6|6|Rugged +18
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4|11|6|6|Damage Reduction 4/-
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5|12|6|6|Supreme Cleave [/table]

Person_Man
2009-07-28, 09:01 AM
y2kjman, thanks for fixing the table.

Fax, the class looks ok. It's a common desire to play a tank like class, and this fits the bill. A few minor quibbles you should feel free to ignore:

I hate dead levels. I suggest filling them in with something.
Supreme Toughness seems a bit unbalanced. I'd give the Dreadnaught a strong Will Save (fits with the defensive/unstoppable theme) and Mettle. If you're attached to the idea, then I suggest making it his 20th level capstone ability, and moving Supreme Cleave down to 17th level.
For the bonus feats, I suggest adding "If the Dreadnaught already possesses this feat, they gain a Fighter bonus feat which they qualify for instead" or some similar language. No reason to screw the player if they want to take Die Hard at level 6, for example.

Luean
2009-07-28, 12:14 PM
You do know how old this thread is? >_>
"06-27-2006, 07:30 PM"?

Lappy9000
2009-07-28, 12:49 PM
You do know how old this thread is? >_>
"06-27-2006, 07:30 PM"?That's what I've been trying to tell everyone :smallconfused:

imp_fireball
2009-07-28, 03:01 PM
The only thing I don't like about this class is that it lacks intrigue. The sort of intrigue that comes with cap stone abilities, for example.

Why not do something like make him immune to death attacks? Just a suggestion. Also, I'd bump supreme cleave back to maybe, 18th level.