PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Skills] Skill Sets, v2.0

Fax Celestis
2009-03-21, 10:12 PM
Upon taking the first level of a class, the player chooses a number of "skill sets" for that class. This skill set determines the class skills for the class and cannot be changed at a later time.

All classes treat the Profession and Craft skills as a class skills, regardless of skill sets.

A character who receives a skill from more than one skill set (or as a bonus skill from their class) receives a +1 synergy bonus for each skill set beyond the first that provides that skill.

For instance, a character who selects the Adventurer, Athlete, and Explorer skill sets will have the following set of class skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Awareness, Concentration, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Heal, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Geography), Ride, and Survival. He will also receive a +1 synergy bonus to his Awareness skill (for having it in both the Adventurer and Athlete skill sets).

Similarly, a rogue who selects the Cat-Burglar, Scout, Thief, and Trickster sets will have the following set of class skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Awareness, Disable Device, Disguise, Handle Animal Legerdemain, Ride, Stealth, and Use Device. He will also receive a +2 synergy bonus to Acrobatics checks (as they appear in the Cat-Burglar, Scout, and Trickster sets), a +1 synergy bonus to Disable Device checks (as they appear in the Cat-Burglar and Thief sets), a +1 synergy bonus to Disguise checks (as they appear in the Thief and Trickster sets), a +1 synergy bonus to Legerdemain checks (as they appear in the Thief and Trickster sets), and a +1 synergy bonus to Stealth checks (as they appear in the Cat-Burglar and Thief sets).

Skill Sets
Actor
Bluff, Disguise, Perform, Speak Language

Adventurer
Awareness, Heal, Ride, Survival

Artisan
Appraise, Craft, Perform, Use Device

Athlete
Acrobatics, Athletics, Awareness, Concentration

Bard
Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Perform

Cartomancer
Cartomancy, Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Use Device

Cat-Burglar
Acrobatics, Athletics, Disable Device, Stealth

Courtesan
Bluff, Diplomacy, Perform, Sense Motive

Delver
Awareness, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Survival

Diplomat
Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Speak Language

Drifter
Awareness, Bluff, Knowledge (Local), Legerdemain

Druid
Awareness, Handle Animal, Knowledge (Nature), Survival

Explorer
Decipher Script, Disable Device, Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Geography)

Farmer
Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Survival

Guard
Awareness, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local), Sense Motive

Gypsy
Bluff, Cartomancy, Legerdemain, Perform

Herbalist
Craft (Alchemy), Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Survival

Historian
Appraise, Decipher Script, Knowledge (History), Speak Language

Impersonator
Bluff, Disguise, Sense Motive, Speak Language

Jester
Acrobatics, Knowledge (any two: History, Local, Nobility and Royalty), Perform

Knight
Handle Animal, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Ride

Mage
Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Use Device

Medic
Awareness, Concentration, Heal, Survival

Merchant
Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Speak Language

Noble
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Speak Language

Pickpocket
Appraise, Bluff, Legerdemain, Stealth

Priest
Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Religion), Spellcraft

Proselytizer
Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religion), Perform (Oratory)

Psion
Autohypnosis, Concentration, Knowledge (Psionics), Psicraft

Sage
Any four Knowledge skills

Scout
Acrobatics, Awareness, Handle Animal, Ride

Scribe
Autohypnosis, Decipher Script, Any two Knowledge skills

Socialite
Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Local), Sense Motive

Spy
Autohypnosis, Disguise, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Stealth

Thief
Disable Device, Disguise, Legerdemain, Stealth

Thug
Appraise, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Stealth

Tinker
Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Use Device

Trainer
Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Ride

Trapper
Awareness, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (Nature), Survival

Trickster
Acrobatics, Disguise, Legerdemain, Use Device

Warrior
Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidate, Sense Motive

WaterTengu
2009-03-21, 10:36 PM
holy crap...

Knaight
2009-03-21, 11:03 PM
I like it, it works well. That said, I would also put something in on making new sets.

xanaphia
2009-03-21, 11:08 PM
Amazing.

The only thing is, make sure that the same skill doesn't end up on every single skill set. I could see Spot being a problem, as it is relevant to lots of skill sets.

But still, amazing.

Lappy9000
2009-03-21, 11:12 PM
Ah, beautiful work as always, Fax. I thought the old ones were great, but with the now better defined skill synergies, 4 skills per package, and greater variety, I think you've topped what you've already topped (I especially like the Sage set).

Fax Celestis
2009-03-21, 11:14 PM
Amazing.

The only thing is, make sure that the same skill doesn't end up on every single skill set. I could see Spot being a problem, as it is relevant to lots of skill sets.

But still, amazing.

I made sure that there wasn't an immense concentration of any one skill. Some of the rarer or less-frequently used skills appear less, certainly, but the distribution's pretty even.

Lunix Vandal
2009-03-21, 11:55 PM
Hmmm ... since Cartomancers always have Cartomancy as a class skill, would having the Cartomancer or Gypsy skillset give a synergy bonus? If so, I'd be willing to bet that the bulk of Cartomancers will have those two sets exclusively.

OTOH, since the set is named after them, might we expect that Cartomancer 2.0 will instead automatically have the Cartomancer skillset plus the player's choice of one/two other(s)?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-21, 11:56 PM
Hmmm ... since Cartomancers always have Cartomancy as a class skill, would having the Cartomancer or Gypsy skillset give a synergy bonus? If so, I'd be willing to bet that the bulk of Cartomancers will have those two sets exclusively.

OTOH, since the set is named after them, might we expect that Cartomancer 2.0 will instead automatically have the Cartomancer skillset plus the player's choice of one/two other(s)?

The latter. Every class will have one skill set it always has with between one and three more.

Animefunkmaster
2009-03-22, 12:25 AM
I realize Acrobatics must encompass jump tumble and balance, what does athletics cover?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-22, 12:30 AM
I realize Acrobatics must encompass jump tumble and balance, what does athletics cover?

Acrobatics is Tumble, Balance, Escape Artist. Athletics is Climb, Jump, Swim.