PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Character Class: Wanderer

Fax Celestis
2006-06-27, 08:22 PM
The Wanderer is a character class similar to the Bard. However, where the bard is a wandering minstrel making a living through his wits and music, the wanderer journeys for the journey's sake. Wanderers usually keep themselves alive by hunting for themselves. As a whole, they are determined to survive. The wanderer class differs from the ranger class in that the ranger usually guards a specific area or has a specific prey in mind, while the wanderer journeys the lands and frequently only hunts for food.

Abilities: Your prime ability score is wisdom: your Wanderer's Knack, Survivalist, and spellcasting abilities all depend on it. Dexterity is probably also a good choice, since it will improve your trap-setting and archery abilities. Finally, a high Consititution is a plus, since it will offset your low hit die.

Races: Wanderers come in all shapes and sizes, though humans, halflings, and half-elves are most common. Least common are dwarves, who rarely leave their homes for the purpose of leaving.

Alignment: Wanderers can be any alignment. Those who are lawful follow a personal code of conduct rather than society's.

Hit Die: d6

Starting Gold: 4d4x10 gp.

Starting Age: As bard (PH 109).

==Class Features==

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wanderers are proficient with all simple weapons, as well as the kukri, short sword, greatbow (composite and standard), longbow (composite and standard), and shortbow (composite and standard). Wanderers are also proficient with light armor.

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Climb, Concentration, Craft, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge (All), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, Survival, Use Magic Device

Spells: You cast arcane spells, which are drawn from the Conjuration and Transmutation schools, as well as the Travel domain. You can cast any spell you know without preparing it ahead of time.

To learn or cast a spell, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level (Wis 10 for 0-level spells, Wis 11 for 1st-level, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your spell is 10 + the spell level + your Wis modifier.

You can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Your base daily spell allotment is given in the table at the end of this page. In addition, you receive bonus spells per day if you have a high Wisdom score.

Jack of All Trades: A wanderer picks up a lot of skills during his journeys. These “Jacks of All Trades” can attempt to perform tasks using their gleaned knowledge that usually only trained professionals can perform.

You are considered to have a number of ranks in any skill you have no ranks in (including cross-class skills) equal to your Jack of All Trades modifier. These ranks are only applicable when attempting to emulate a skill you do not have (that is, you can't use these ranks to be eligible for a prestige class, feat, or the like). These ranks are overridden by a bonus to that skill of any type (but not by ability modifiers).

At first level, your Jack of All Trades modifier is +1. At fifth level and every five levels thereafter (tenth, fifteenth, and twentieth), your modifier increases by 1.

Wanderer's Lore: A wanderer also picks up a lot of stray knowledge while wandering the land. Whenever presented with a Knowledge check of any type, you may substitute one half your class level instead of your ranks in the skill (your option, and rounded down). You may not take ten or twenty on this check: this type of gleaned knowledge is very hit-or-miss.

Wanderer's Knack: Most wanderers make their living as tinkers or handymen. As such, wanderers can add their Wisdom modifier to any use of the Craft skill, as long as they already have ranks in that particular craft. Ranks provided by Jack of All Trades do not count for Wanderer's Knack.

Track: At 2nd level, a wanderer acquires the Track feat as a bonus feat.

Endurance: At 3rd level, a wanderer acquires the Endurance feat as a bonus feat.

Bonus Archery Feat: At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th), the wanderer may choose a bonus feat from the following list: Weapon Focus (Greatbow), Weapon Focus (Longbow), Weapon Focus (Shortbow), Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Manyshot, Greater Manyshot, Zen Archery, Shot on the Run, or Mounted Archery. You must still qualify as normal for all feats.

Expanded Knowledge: At 4th level and every five levels thereafter (9th, 14th, and 19th), you may learn a spell of any level you can currently cast. This spell must come from the Conjuration, Transmutation, or Evocation schools of magic, or from the Travel or Trickery domains.

Bonus Class Skill: At 7th level, 11th level and 17th level, a wanderer may choose a cross class skill and make it a class skill.

Survivalist: Starting at 7th level, a wanderer may add one-half his class level (rounded down) to Survival checks made in natural environments and to Craft (Trapmaking) checks.

Playing A Wanderer

As a wanderer, you are driven to survive against all odds, using only your magic and your wide variety of skills. You have been everywhere, tried everything, and remembed quite a bit of it. When it comes to combat, you stay in the back and use your bow, or use your magical aptitudes to assist your allies.

Religion

Most wanderers, as is fitting, follow Fharlanghn, if they follow a deity at all. More than any other class, wanderers are more apt to be atheistic or agnostic. Some even acknowledge the existence of the gods but choose to not ask for their aid, instead relying on their own powers.

Other Classes

Out of all the other classes, you get along with rangers, rogues, and bards the best. Sorcerers trade magic stories with you, while wizards probably look at you with disdain. Fighters, paladins, and barbarians see you as weak in combat, but useful, since you can do things they can't.

Combat

When it comes to combat, your best bet is to stay in the back and use a bow. Your limited access to combat-worthy spells makes your magical abilities more useful after combat than during, though with Expanded Knowledge you might pick up a spell or two of some use in combat.

Wanderer Progression
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spells Per Day
1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Jack of All Trades +1, Wanderer's Lore, Wanderer's Knack | 3/2
2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Track | 4/3
3rd | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Endurance | 5/4
4th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Bonus Archery Feat, Expanded Knowledge | 6/5
5th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Jack of All Trades +2 | 6/5/2
6th | +4 | +5 | +2 | +5 | - | 6/6/3
7th | +5 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Survivalist, Bonus Class Skill | 6/6/5
8th | +6/+1 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Bonus Archery Feat | 6/6/6
9th | +6/+1 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Expanded Knowledge | 6/6/6/2
10th | +7/+2 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Jack of All Trades +3 | 6/6/6/3
11th | +8/+3 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Bonus Class Skill | 6/6/6/5
12th | +9/+4 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Bonus Archery Feat | 6/6/6/6
13th | +9/+4 | +8 | +4 | +8 | - | 6/6/6/6/2
14th | +10/+5 | +9 | +4 | +9 | Expanded Knowledge | 6/6/6/6/3
15th | +11/+6/+1 | +9 | +5 | +9 | Jack of All Trades +4 | 6/6/6/6/5
16th | +12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +10 | Bonus Archery Feat | 6/6/6/6/6
17th | +12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +10 | Bonus Class Skill | 6/6/6/6/6/2
18th | +13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +11 | - | 6/6/6/6/6/3
19th | +14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Expanded Knowledge | 6/6/6/6/6/5/2
20th | +15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +12 | Jack of All Trades +5, Bonus Archery Feat | 6/6/6/6/6/6/3[/table]

Spells Known
(Does not include Expanded Knowledge)
{table=head]Level | 0th | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th
1 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | -
2 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | -
3 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - | -
4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | -
5 | 4 | 4 | 1 | - | - | - | -
6 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | -
7 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | -
8 | 5 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | -
9 | 6 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | -
10 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 1 | - | - | -
11 | 6 | 6 | 4 | 2 | - | - | -
12 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 2 | - | - | -
13 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | -
14 | 6 | 7 | 6 | 3 | 1 | - | -
15 | 6 | 7 | 6 | 4 | 1 | - | -
16 | 6 | 7 | 7 | 4 | 2 | - | -
17 | 6 | 8 | 7 | 5 | 2 | 1 | -
18 | 6 | 8 | 7 | 5 | 3 | 1 | -
19 | 6 | 8 | 8 | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1
20 | 6 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 4 | 3 | 2[/table]

Necomancer
2006-06-27, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a ranger variant. Personly I'd just ask the DM if I could play a slightly modified ranger.

Cybren
2006-06-27, 09:52 PM
Is there any precedent for a wisdom-based arcane caster?

Raum
2006-06-27, 09:54 PM
This class isn't as compelling as your dreadnaught class was to me...it's not different enough. The bonus archery feat list makes it very similar to a ranger going down the archery path.

Rather than adding combat abilities, why not something learned from travels? Abilities to bypass or ignore various terrain types, powers gained from learning to deal with the terrain (similar to a Horizon Walker maybe?), more survival/woodsman type abilities (traps, dealing with animals, an animal companion), etc. Basically something to make it stand out.

Here's a couple more specific comments on abilities:

Spells: You may want to pick one or two schools to allow access to instead of a discrete list of spells. Mostly so you won't need to go through splat books as they come out and decide which spells are appropriate.
Jack of all Trades: The +5 DC may be a needless complication.
Wanderer's Lore: This is a bit overpowered. It nearly negates the need for ever putting ranks in any knowledge skill. As it is, I'd never put more than the 5 points required for synergy bonuses.
Survivalist: Again, why put skill ranks in it past 5 if you're giving the ability for free?

DMgrinder
2006-06-27, 10:43 PM
Oooooh :-*! Copies, Pastes, Steals.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-28, 02:41 AM
This class isn't as compelling as your dreadnaught class was to me...it's not different enough. The bonus archery feat list makes it very similar to a ranger going down the archery path.

Rather than adding combat abilities, why not something learned from travels? Abilities to bypass or ignore various terrain types, powers gained from learning to deal with the terrain (similar to a Horizon Walker maybe?), more survival/woodsman type abilities (traps, dealing with animals, an animal companion), etc. Basically something to make it stand out.

Here's a couple more specific comments on abilities:

Spells: You may want to pick one or two schools to allow access to instead of a discrete list of spells. Mostly so you won't need to go through splat books as they come out and decide which spells are appropriate.
Jack of all Trades: The +5 DC may be a needless complication.
Wanderer's Lore: This is a bit overpowered. It nearly negates the need for ever putting ranks in any knowledge skill. As it is, I'd never put more than the 5 points required for synergy bonuses.
Survivalist: Again, why put skill ranks in it past 5 if you're giving the ability for free?

The reason I went with a finite list was because the spells I chose are from both the divine and arcane lists, as well as are all (pretty much) directly linked to travel. I suppose I could go with Conjuration, Transmutation, and the Travel domain, but that'd be kinda strange.

As for Jack of all Trades, yeah, it might be.

As for putting ranks into skills with Wanderer's Lore and Survivalist, I'd still put them in, considering I like being able to do research (and take a 10 or 20) and get a decent result. Note how you can't take a 10 or 20, which would make this pretty much happenstance "OH I REMEMBERED THIS" information. In any case, do you have a better way to do it?

Fax Celestis
2006-06-28, 02:41 AM
Is there any precedent for a wisdom-based arcane caster?

There is none, but I don't see why there shouldn't be.

AmoDman
2006-06-28, 03:53 AM
There is none, but I don't see why there shouldn't be.

Actually, I think there is...somewhere *too tired to care or look right now* :P

Fax Celestis
2006-06-30, 10:24 PM
Updated, now reflecting suggestions: modification of spells from specific spells to schools and a domain, weakening of wanderer's knack and survivalist (making them similar to bardic knack in PHBII), and removal of extraneous Jack of all Trades DC modifier.

littlechicory
2007-08-07, 03:52 PM
Um... maybe it's just me, but I can't read your tables.

brian c
2007-08-07, 04:05 PM
Um... maybe it's just me, but I can't read your tables.

I noticed that with a couple other tables today. The board is being screwy I think.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 04:21 PM
Those are from tables dredged up from before the boardswitch. I'll fix this one now.

littlechicory
2007-08-07, 04:51 PM
... just joined this forum and already I'm causing trouble. I'm sorry! :smallfrown:

I really liked the overall look and feel of the class, I was just upset I couldn't read the tables.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 05:17 PM
... just joined this forum and already I'm causing trouble. I'm sorry! :smallfrown:

I really liked the overall look and feel of the class, I was just upset I couldn't read the tables.

No, no, it's cool. I've been meaning to go back and update my old threads anyway.

TheLogman
2007-08-07, 05:25 PM
So, their spell list is Conjuration Transmutation, and then Travel? Cool cool.

So, a Skill monkey, Ranger, and Caster, with good parts from each, but neither overpowering the other? NICE!

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 05:49 PM
So, their spell list is Conjuration Transmutation, and then Travel? Cool cool.

So, a Skill monkey, Ranger, and Caster, with good parts from each, but neither overpowering the other? NICE!

And to think, this is the first class I ever made.

Realms of Chaos
2007-08-07, 10:11 PM
I'll admit it... nice work.

You filled in a niche that the ranger didn't quite fill (ImO).

Honestly, I had tried making a similar class in the past, but your mechanics got it down pretty well.

nice work.

Morty
2007-08-08, 06:54 AM
Hmmm... would it unbalance this class to replace Conjuration with, say, Illusion or Enchantment? It looks preety cool, and non-teleportation Conjuration spells are notoriusly lame.