PDA

View Full Version : I need a little build help on a ranger soulknife.

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-21, 11:23 PM
I'm trying to build a lvl 5 Character, probably 2 non-casting ranger and 3 soulknife(might go 3 ranger 2 soulknife though).
The main thing I need is a race that has +Str and +Dex and not -Con.

Also, general advice on the build.

<Info Edit
The campaign will probably run us into a little of everything, and a one-trick pony will probably be dead by the end of the first session.

My DM runs high power stuff, with a guaranteed 18 and the lowest stats usually 12 or 13 before racial stats. So I don't really need to worry much about one or two stats being horrible.
Edit>

I can use any book I want to, but I'm not really interested in min-maxed Uber-powered stuff. (Aka, only mildly broken and lower please. :smallwink:)

Thanks!

Flickerdart
2009-03-21, 11:26 PM
Soul knife is not good unless you're going into Soulbow. There is a feat which gives Psychic Warriors what is essentially the Soulknife's laundry list of class features.

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-21, 11:29 PM
Soul knife is not good unless you're going into Soulbow. There is a feat which gives Psychic Warriors what is essentially the Soulknife's laundry list of class features.

No, he'll be 2 weapon ranger, sorry. I'm mainly using soulknife for the generated weapons. is there another class I could use for that? I would like to be able to generate a bastard sword.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-21, 11:32 PM
Soulbow is one of about 3 things in CompPsi that doesn't suck. Look into it.

Soulknife itself is terrible, and multiclassing it makes it weaker, though, so you might want to reconsider completely. What flavor are you looking for? Theres probably an easier way to get it.

As for the race, with those restrictions you'll probably have an LA, unfortunately. Elf variants can get you one or the other, but not both bonuses.

Edit:Ninja'd. PsiWar does get the ability to generate a weapon with a specific power. BTW, how do you plan to TWF with a Bastard Sword? Unarmed Strike or Armor Spikes.

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-21, 11:42 PM
<trim>

BTW, how do you plan to TWF with a Bastard Sword?

Exotic weapon proficiency (bastard sword) would work for generated weapons, right?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-21, 11:48 PM
Exotic weapon proficiency (bastard sword) would work for generated weapons, right?Yes, but it's a waste of a feat. Short Swords deal 2 less damage on average, but base damage is secondary to weapon enhancements/PA/SA/spell channeling. If the feat you're spending is worth the same as Weapon Specialization, there's a problem.

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-22, 12:11 AM
Unless I'm missing something, all PsiWar can do is manifest a 1 round weapon, at the expense of a power point.

What I need is something like the Mindblade, free and sticks around as long as I want (or sundered.)

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-22, 12:33 AM
You're misreading it. The weapons in question sticks around for 1 min/level. Plus, you can take the Minds Eye Enhancement from Wizards, and it gets much better, faster than the soul knife.

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-22, 12:47 AM
You're misreading it. The weapons in question sticks around for 1 min/level. Plus, you can take the Minds Eye Enhancement from Wizards, and it gets much better, faster than the soul knife.

Where exactly do you mean, Wizards?

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-22, 12:50 AM
Wizards.com, in the dnd archive section, in the Minds eye section. It's one of the expanded classes articles. Of course, right now Wizards seems to be down...

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-22, 12:55 AM
Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03e9'

Out of memory

/welcome.asp, line 0

Classic.

This is why you don't run VB on a webpage.

Adumbration
2009-03-22, 01:07 AM

Soulbow is one of about 3 things in CompPsi that doesn't suck. Look into it.

*sniff* *sniff*

I don't know what to say. I'm proud of you! :smallbiggrin:

(No really, I've been pushing Soulbow so long it isn't even funny. That PrC rocks!)

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-22, 01:18 AM
I checked Wizards, and found the Enhancement.

Is there anything that can extend the length of summons? It still seems really short to me.

Graymayre
2009-03-22, 07:01 AM
The feat extended summoning can do that. There's also the PRC Thaumaturgist from the DMG (don't ask me what its power level is though).

RebelRogue
2009-03-22, 07:38 AM
I'm no psionic Expert, but it's always been my impression that the Soulknife is a sucky class. How would you go about building a Soulbow. you need at least 2 levels of Soulknife for the Throw Mind Blade thing, and at least 5 levels since there's the 8 ranks of Autohypnosis required. What are good choices for the remaining 3 levels?

JeminiZero
2009-03-22, 07:42 AM
I said it before but it bears repeating. If you want to play a class that can summon a magical weapon ad infinitum that does decent damage, go with a glaive-lock.

Samuel Sturm
2009-03-22, 10:33 AM
The feat extended summoning can do that. There's also the PRC Thaumaturgist from the DMG (don't ask me what its power level is though).

Where's that feat from?

Flickerdart
2009-03-22, 10:40 AM
I'm no psionic Expert, but it's always been my impression that the Soulknife is a sucky class. How would you go about building a Soulbow. you need at least 2 levels of Soulknife for the Throw Mind Blade thing, and at least 5 levels since there's the 8 ranks of Autohypnosis required. What are good choices for the remaining 3 levels?
Psychic Warrior or Factotum will both get Autohypnosis as class skills and are awesome classes in their own right.

If you really want to summon weapons, the Pyrokineticist PrC allows you to manifest a whip of fire that is a Touch Attack, meaning it will almost always hit, and you can take an alternate version of the PrC to get different elemental damage on it.It's not a very powerful class either, but I like it for the flavour.