PDA

View Full Version : Half-Alien template (PEACH)

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-06-30, 06:00 PM
Inspired by another thread:

Half-Alien
Born of a twisted union or a bizarre magical project, a half-alien creature is touched with a heritage that defies mortal understanding. They often project no outward signs of their strangeness, but there is an aura of fear and power around them. Other do have signs of their heritage, in the form of tentacles, oddly mutated skin or eyes, or other odd features. These have the Terrifying Form ability, listed below.

Creating a Half-Alien
“Half-Alien” is an acquired or inherited template that can be applied to any living, corporeal creature.

A half-alien uses all of its base creature’s statistics and abilities except as described here:

Size and Type:
Change creature type to Outsider (Far Realms). Do not recalculate HD, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged.

Speed:
A half-alien doubles its base speed in all its movement forms, but gains none that they do not already possess.

Armor Class:
A half-alien may apply its Charisma modifier as a deflection bonus to armor class. This is a supernatural ability.

Special Qualities:
A half-alien has all the properties of the base creature, as well as the following:

Darkvision out to 120 feet
Resistance 5 to all elements
Damage Reduction 5/-
Fast Healing 5
Spell Resistance equal to the base creature’s HD+10 (Max 35)
Unnatural Aura (su): Normal animals will not willingly attack a Half-Alien. All opponents suffer a -2 morale penalty to attacks against a Half-Alien
Terrifying Form (ex): If a Half-Alien has an obviously strange appearance, all foes who start their turn within 60’ of the Half-Alien must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Half-Alien’s Charisma modifier) or be frightened for 1d6 rounds. A successful save does not give immunity to any further exposure to this ability. Additionally, a character immune to fear (by any means) must skill save or be affected, but such characters have a +10 bonus to resist.

Abilities:
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4, Int +4, Wis +0, Cha +2.

Skills:
A half-alien gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD + 3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-alien gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.
CR:

Only question is appropriate CR/LA modifications. I tried to make it about in line with the other Half templates, but I'm not sure about my abilitiy to do so.

Fax Celestis
2006-06-30, 06:04 PM
The one thing I'd say is cap the SR at 30 or so.

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-06-30, 06:06 PM
Ack, forgot that. Set it at 35, as half-fiend.

Pagz
2006-07-01, 02:17 AM
Maybe give it "True strike" and for an addition to its terrifying form, give them a -1 morale to hit, just like a peusuado-natural creature eg. prestige class Alienist, or did you want to not have the same kind of alien?

Also with these abilities, the affected creature clearly knows its not normal, right. i could just imagine a kid turning into this gnarly green mass saying "wow i didnt know i could do that" :P

Draco_Ignifer
2006-07-01, 04:44 AM
Definately +4. Although it doesn't get the spells that the other halves get, the null-typed damage reduction, fast healing, and a constant fear effect that cannot be overcome by saving against it make it as least as powerful when used by a combat character.