PDA

View Full Version : 4ed Feylock

BobVosh
2009-03-22, 05:34 AM
4ed, standard point buy, level 4 (maybe 5...meh)
I am a fey pact lock and def a halfelf.

What can I do to build a strong character. My friends elven ranger is making me feel inadequate :smallredface:

Thanks for all help, full builds/recommendations, etc I will take any help.

Kurald Galain
2009-03-22, 05:47 AM
What can I do to build a strong character. My friends elven ranger is making me feel inadequate :smallredface:
Don't play the damage game, because rangers are better at that.

Instead, focus on area effects and debuffs.

Look for the Sacrifice to Caiphon feat from dragon magazine, which lets you retain an encounter power if it misses.

FoE
2009-03-22, 05:47 AM
My friends elven ranger is making me feel inadequate :smallredface:

In the sack? Can't help you there. :smalltongue:

Look for the Sacrifice to Caiphon feat from dragon magazine, which lets you retain an encounter power if it misses.

But that's for starlocks.

BobVosh
2009-03-22, 05:55 AM
In the sack? Can't help you there. :smalltongue:

Nope, in the pants. Although split the arrow would be hilarious in the sack.
Split the tree? Bah, I ain't the ranger. You know what I'm talking about.

NPCMook
2009-03-22, 06:00 AM
Feylock's tend to be the I teleport all over the field, and are best played using the Eladrin, or Shadar-Kai.

Also next month is Arcane Power, which means even more Warlock pacts! Now, while the Warlock doesn't do the massive amounts of damage that a Ranger will do, they do have a lot of cooler effects

Best I could do, I don't normally play Warlocks

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
level 5
Eladrin, Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 17, Wis 11, Cha 19.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 18.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
HP: 47 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception, Bluff, Religion, Insight, Arcana.

FEATS
1: Improved Misty Step
2: Toughness
4: Improved Initiative

POWERS
1, Encounter: Witchfire
1, Daily: Crown of Stars
2, Utility: Ethereal Stride
3, Encounter: Otherwind Stride
5, Daily: Curse of the Bloody Fangs

ITEMS
Mercurial Rod +2, Darkleaf Leather Armor +1, Skull Mask (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit

Kurald Galain
2009-03-22, 06:35 AM
But that's for starlocks.
Flavor-wise, perhaps. But by the rules, any warlock (with 13 constitution, which is a good idea anyway) can take it.

I'd actually recommend not putting all your powers in the teleportation basket. For instance, that grasping hand that moves enemies around is extremely useful in numerous situations. Go for versatility, since the ranger is not nearly as versatile as you are.

Artanis
2009-03-22, 10:47 AM
Go for versatility, since the ranger is not nearly as versatile as you are.
I just want to reiterate this because it is so very, very true. There are times when it seems like all of your choices are, "you do n[w]+STAT damage whether you like it or not; now choose a goody to go with it."

Hell, if you leave out MP, there are times when this is literally true (L5 shooty dailies, I'm looking at you!)

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-22, 07:33 PM
@ Mook. He said Half-elf.

You may be able to keep up with the ranger in the damage department. This build requires that you have access to the Player's Handbook II, Dragon Magazine content, and that your DM rules that Weapon Focus applies to weapons used as implements (WotC ruled that it does, but it is still controversial):

level 5
Half-Elf, Warlock
Build: Deceptive Warlock
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Eldritch Pact: Fey Pact

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 20.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 17.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 17 Will: 19
HP: 47 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion, Intimidate, Bluff, Insight, Arcana.

FEATS
1: Arcane Prodigy
2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
4: Action Surge

POWERS
1, Encounter: Witchfire
1, Daily: Crown of Stars
1, Encounter: Dragonfrost
2, Utility: Ethereal Stride
3, Encounter: Eldritch Rain
5, Daily: Fury of Gibbeth

ITEMS
Magic Dagger +2, Deathcut Leather Armor +1, Cloak of Distortion +1

I only picked 3 magic items using the rules for starting at lvl 5. You can do whatever with the gold.

NPCMook
2009-03-22, 07:37 PM
I said Eladrin and Shadar-kai make better Feylocks since the Feylock is all about teleporting.

Also, your build gives him no implement, unless you want him to use the standard Rod that gives no bonuses. a Magic Dagger can not be used as an Implement, the Pact blade on the other hand can, but is a Level 2 Magic item, he'd need to start at level 6 for a +2 Pact Blade

Also, his post made me think that he has yet to actually build the character

Knaight
2009-03-22, 07:49 PM
Take thunderwave with Dilleante if you have any wisdom at all, then take the PHB II feat that turns it into an at will.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-22, 07:55 PM
Also, your build gives him no implement, unless you want him to use the standard Rod that gives no bonuses. a Magic Dagger can not be used as an Implement, the Pact blade on the other hand can, but is a Level 2 Magic item, he'd need to start at level 6 for a +2 Pact Blade

He multiclassed Sorcerer at level 1, so he may use daggers as implements.

Kind of taking advantage of the whole weapon focus/implement thing. I don't like the way WotC ruled on that issue, but it legal at LFR tables so I thought I'd throw that out there as a potential way to catch up to a ranger in damage.

There are a handful of powers with the Cold keyword in both the Sorcerer and Warlock's list, so in paragon he can do a little power shifting and take advantage of the Lasting Frost - Wintertouched combo, with Burning Blizzard thrown in for good measure.

NPCMook
2009-03-22, 07:59 PM
The Dagger as an implement only works for Sorcerer powers

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-22, 08:07 PM
The Dagger as an implement only works for Sorcerer powers

I'm pretty sure they changed that with the release of PHBII. Look at the new way they have worded it:

Arcane Prodigy
[Multiclass Sorcerer]
Prerequisite: Cha 13
Benefit: You gain training in Arcana.
Once per encounter as a free action, you can gain a +2 bonus to your next damage roll. The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.
In addition, you can wield sorcerer implements.

No more "when using a sorcerer power or sorcerer paragon path power" clause. They also changed it to let you qualify for Epic Destinies with Multiclass feats... Multiclassing is much less restrictive now.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-22, 08:11 PM
Where did he get Dragonfrost at level 1 from? The Sorcerer Multiclass just gives tier-based bonus damage to one attack/encounter, not an at-will as an encounter power.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-22, 08:19 PM
Where did he get Dragonfrost at level 1 from? The Sorcerer Multiclass just gives tier-based bonus damage to one attack/encounter, not an at-will as an encounter power.

He's a half elf.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-22, 08:25 PM
He's a half elf.

Right, my bad. Sorry, forgot about Dilettante.

NPCMook
2009-03-22, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure they changed that with the release of PHBII. Look at the new way they have worded it:

No more "when using a sorcerer power or sorcerer paragon path power" clause. They also changed it to let you qualify for Epic Destinies with Multiclass feats... Multiclassing is much less restrictive now.

Why multiclass Sorcerer? Why not Bard, take an instrument and then you have two free hands, or a divine class since they don't have to wield their Holy Symbol either

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-22, 08:35 PM
Why multiclass Sorcerer? Why not Bard, take an instrument and then you have two free hands, or a divine class since they don't have to wield their Holy Symbol either

Why not? Build one for him, you've got the character builder.

I briefly considered MCing Swordmage so he could use a pact blade and get a big defense bonus, but I was going for a damage build here.

ColdSepp
2009-03-22, 08:48 PM

This is likely an error. See the FAQ on Swordmages

Q: The update for the swordmage multiclass feat Blade Initiate adds the words "In addition, you can use swordmage implements" to the end of the feat. Does this mean I can use light and heavy blades as implements for any implement attack?

A: Ability to use the implements of a class ("You can use swordmage implements") means that you can use them in the same way that the class uses them. For instance, the ability to use swordmage implements means you can use swordmage implements with swordmage powers. You don’t gain the ability to use those implements with powers of another class.

NPCMook
2009-03-22, 08:54 PM
This is likely an error. See the FAQ on Swordmages

Q: The update for the swordmage multiclass feat Blade Initiate adds the words "In addition, you can use swordmage implements" to the end of the feat. Does this mean I can use light and heavy blades as implements for any implement attack?

A: Ability to use the implements of a class ("You can use swordmage implements") means that you can use them in the same way that the class uses them. For instance, the ability to use swordmage implements means you can use swordmage implements with swordmage powers. You don’t gain the ability to use those implements with powers of another class.

inb4FAQdoesn'tequalRAW

Thank you for the Clarification, I knew I read something like this before

Kurald Galain
2009-03-23, 06:09 AM
inb4FAQdoesn'tequalRAW
This just bugs me: WOTC is being massively unclear on the whole weapons-as-implements, implements-as-weapons, and using-another-class's-implements issues.

That said, it strikes me as reasonable and not overpowered to allow the warlock to use sorcerer implements after taking a feat to do so.

That said, multiclassing to sorcerer isn't such a stellar option for a 'lock, so I'd recommend some other MC. But taking an MC feat is definitely worth it, they're among the best feats in the books. Wizard is fitting, and has good powers (e.g. thunderwave). Bard fits the stats, if you want to become a part-time healer. And for a good defensive combo, don't do swordmage but take rogue. With the right combo of powers (and a few more levels) you can be more-or-less permanently stealthed on the battlefield. If they can't see you, they can't hit you.

Also, don't try to out-damage the ranger; by design and by charop, the ranger is way better at damaging things than the warlock is. Don't play to his strengths, play to your own.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-23, 12:40 PM
That said, multiclassing to sorcerer isn't such a stellar option for a 'lock, so I'd recommend some other MC. But taking an MC feat is definitely worth it, they're among the best feats in the books...

Also, don't try to out-damage the ranger; by design and by charop, the ranger is way better at damaging things than the warlock is. Don't play to his strengths, play to your own.

Guess I should have posted a build strategy.

The idea with MCing Sorcerer is to:

*Take advantage Weapon Focus bonus damage applying to daggers as implements, without restricting oneself to pact blades.

*Paragon Multiclass as a Sorcerer to gain access to a collection of powers with the cold keyword in the Paragon Tier that can fill most power slots. Both Warlock and Sorcerer have a only a handful, but together, you can collect a bunch.

*Take advantage of the Wintertouched/Lasting Frost combo in paragon tier. This is an extremely powerful combo.

*Grab the Half Elf feat that turns Dragonfrost into an at will for you, so you have a spammable cold power that pushes, causes cold vulnerability, and grants CA.

I was intentionally following his request without modifying any of his parameters. I interpreted his request as build a 1) Fey pact Warlock, that is a 2) Half Elf, who can 3) rival the Ranger for damage output.

I'm not sure if this build can meet the third criteria, and if it does it is a late bloomer - mid Paragon Tier before all the widgets fall into place. If the third criteria can even be met, this might be one way to go about it. I'd have to build it at lvl 15 and 21 to be sure. There won't be an easy solution to the third criteria as Warlocks are Striker-Controllers and Rangers are Striker-Striker-Bo-Bikers.

There is probably a better way to make a sick damage dealing, Half Elf Feylock. This is just what I came up with off the top of my head, and it is not entirely clear if I even followed the letter of the rules, but I'm pretty sure I did.

I do not stand by this build. Trying to rival the Ranger for damage as a Warlock (especially a Fey Pact warlock) is foolhardy and therefore requires foolish character building. This build is foolish, if nothing else, but I have a hunch you can do some sick damage in Paragon with it.

sombrastewart
2009-03-23, 01:22 PM
For what it's worth, I've played a Feypact Warlock for a while. He's at level 14 right now, and he's done well so far. The biggest key, if you're doing a straight-up, Feypact warlock is hitting different defenses. Eyebite hits Will, Eldritch Blast hits Reflex, and so on.

The paragon path for Feypact is also very nice. And, since you're playing a Half-Elf, grab Action Surge for that +7 to hit when you use an action point.