PDA

View Full Version : Harp of Nero(PEACH)

King_of_GRiffins
2006-06-26, 12:01 AM
Too much history channel and this is what I come up with. Enjoy.

Harp of Nero
This item was orriginally devised by a mad, greedy emporer determined to build a monument to his greatness in the heart of his capital city. To do this, he would have to remove all the homes and buisness located there, and resigned to the help of his wizard. Knowing the artist Nero took himself to be, the the result was a harp with the abilty to burn all in it's users eyes with a single playing. Once per day on a succesfull DC 17 Perform(String Instruments) check, the user may start a fire within 300ft that does twice normal fire damage and cannot be put out by mundane means. Those subject to the magical fire must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be set on fire. On succeses, if the subject must make a second save for the same fire, he is subject to normal fire instead. This effect last twenty minutes before becoming normal fire. Three time per day on a succesfull DC 15 Perform check, grants the user fire resistance 10 for thirty minutes.
Moderate Evocation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondorous Item, Continual Flame, Burning Hands, Resist Energy Price: 5,545 gp

Emperor Tippy
2006-06-26, 12:39 AM
Ah poor stupid Nero. :P

It seems a bit underpiced considerign all the fun uses I can come up for it (espically in sea warfare).

And honestly if eh wanted the instant disappearence thign it should go disintagrate instead.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-06-26, 01:05 AM
Historically IRL, I don't think there are any arcane casters at all, but since I'm trying to builkd a magic item based off RL, I considered magic little used and users to be very low(notice the levels of the spells and CL)

Pricing is always a problem. If too low I'll add the cost of burning hands. I put it in there to A) Make sence B)Flavor C)find a quick balance. So factoring in Buring hands adds in 720 gp to a total of 5,545 gp

And yah, I can see every pyromaniac instantly taking bard levels to use this at will.

Hario
2006-06-26, 01:35 AM
ummm this could be very broken.... lets see... let me set the king on fire, oh wait... he doesn't t ake a save... oh look hes turned into ash in 3 turns... and his castle is being set on fire for the next few hours.... hmmm nope nothings wrong.. :o

King_of_GRiffins
2006-06-26, 02:02 AM
Yah.. I think I'll find a solution. Standard reflex sace to not atch on fire sound good? Whats that 15 Reflex(yup)? I planned this item to be more usefull on ships/buildings/trees , so I think thats fair. You could afford it at 4th by sacraficing all your earnings and equipment, nad by the time they can actually afford it, most people can easily make the save.

snowfox090
2006-06-26, 04:07 AM
Maybe the fire can't be put out by mundane means, but there's a spell of a level higher than Burning Hands that could? I should have been in bed ten minutes ago so I can't look it up now, but it seems that for a low/rare magic campaign, that would still be unlikely enough that the item would be deemed useful.

Tokeloshe
2006-06-26, 05:57 AM
Just one change, make it Nero's Fiddle.