PDA

View Full Version : Those of dragon blood.<spoiler>

Half-blood
2009-03-22, 08:51 AM
If V has killed EVERYONE that is related to the mother black dragon, and from the dragon warrior and dragon centaur we know that this affects more than just full dragons.... Shouldn't that mean that sorcerers are also under the effects?? Thusly, V killed (or could have killed shouldn't the case merit), A whole bunch of humans, elves, maybe dwarves, etc,etc needless to say, V hasn't that thought this thing through

Thorin
2009-03-22, 09:22 AM
a) i suppose you mean "black dragons" and not just "dragons" (because the strip showed only black-dragon-related beings being slayed)

b) not sure how that should work. Until Rich show us the spell description (possibly never) we can only theorize.

MickJay
2009-03-22, 11:37 AM
A spell that was that far-reaching would have been both too difficult to research and too powerful to be really useful. I mean, Haera was a human, if the spell had that great an effect, she would never be sure if casting it on any human being wouldn't have killed her as well.

Errata
2009-03-22, 12:13 PM
The spell isn't called genocide. It targets families, not races. Every member of a species is related to every other member of a species, but we don't consider every member of a species to be family. The concept of family cuts off at some arbitrary threshold of relatedness.

slayerx
2009-03-22, 12:21 PM
A spell that was that far-reaching would have been both too difficult to research and too powerful to be really useful. I mean, Haera was a human, if the spell had that great an effect, she would never be sure if casting it on any human being wouldn't have killed her as well.

heh, who says it DIDN'T end up killing her =p

Bluelantern
2009-03-22, 12:39 PM
If V has killed EVERYONE that is related to the mother black dragon, and from the dragon warrior and dragon centaur we know that this affects more than just full dragons.... Shouldn't that mean that sorcerers are also under the affects? there are what, ten types of dragons? Thusly, V killed (or could have killed shouldn't the case merit), A whole bunch of humans, elves, maybe dwarves, etc,etc needless to say, V hasn't that this thing through

Maybe they need to be from the same type or subtype?

hamishspence
2009-03-22, 12:51 PM
Montrous Humanoid (centaur), + Humanoid (kobold) I don't think Type matters.

It would be funny if next strip shows it continued, with Plants, Oozes, Fey, Vermin, and more- dragons can reproduce with nearly anything.

Mr. Pin
2009-03-22, 01:13 PM
No, I don't think that sorcerers (who according to the PHB, "claim" to have a very small amount of dragon blood in them) would be closely related enough to be affected. if it did, you start getting into killing the children of sorcerers and their children and pretty soon everyone's dead.

hamishspence
2009-03-22, 01:16 PM
creatures with Draconic template though, maybe. Kobold looks like a Draconic kobold (or possibly one with various Draconic feats) (at least, the monster looks like a Kobold, I might be wrong)

Sorcerers with no Draconic feats to represent their closer relationship- less likely

Kyouhen
2009-03-22, 01:50 PM

Unless the spell doesn't skip over people who are already dead. What if every time it kills something it identifies anyone directly related to it (parents and children) then targets them? Against most humanoids it would work fine as it would quickly run out of identifiable targets after one or two generations. Dragons, on the other hand, live a LONG time and reproduce with anything that moves. It would be a while before the spell is unable to find the next target, so it would kill a much wider range of creatures.

Optimystik
2009-03-22, 02:19 PM

For all we know, that could be how Haera died. (And would be immensely funny if so!)

Montrous Humanoid (centaur), + Humanoid (kobold) I don't think Type matters.

It would be funny if next strip shows it continued, with Plants, Oozes, Fey, Vermin, and more- dragons can reproduce with nearly anything.

I think Bluelantern might be right; the spell targets via subtype or template. That would be a good way to cut it off so that it doesn't end up waxing every sorcerer that descended from a descendant of her descendants. (800+ years is a long time to sow your oats.)

hamishspence
2009-03-22, 02:32 PM
Dragonblood subtype + dragon type would cover everything down to Draconic creatures and sorcerers/characters with Draconic Heritage, but not sorcerers without Draconic Heritage.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-03-22, 03:28 PM
It would be funny if next strip shows it continued, with Plants

Dragonfruit?

Oozes

Dragonfruit flavored Go-Gurt?

Vermin

Would that involve a tubesock?

dragons can reproduce with nearly anything.

That doesn't mean they will in Rich's OotS-iverse. I don't think he spends his nights contemplating how Dragons mating with...say...cars would look like.

Volkov
2009-03-22, 03:33 PM
Dragonfruit?

Dragonfruit flavored Go-Gurt?

Would that involve a tubesock?

That doesn't mean they will in Rich's OotS-iverse. I don't think he spends his nights contemplating how Dragons mating with...say...cars would look like.
Dragons can reproduce with everything but Constructs and Undead post Negative plane's touch. EVERYTHING that doesn't lack the ability to reproduce. EVERYZING!!!!!!!!! Although it would be disturbing to see a dragon mate with the Tarrasque. *shudders*

Optimystik
2009-03-22, 05:38 PM
Dragonblood subtype + dragon type would cover everything down to Draconic creatures and sorcerers/characters with Draconic Heritage, but not sorcerers without Draconic Heritage.

Just because a sorcerer doesn't have Draconic Heritage, doesn't mean his powers aren't due to dragons. Even Dragon Disciples (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) (who HAVE to be descended from dragons) don't gain the subtype until level 10. Fluffwise, this is seen as them boosting the draconic element of their bloodline until they become half-dragons. Clearly, not all sorcerers/bards are capable of doing that, or it wouldn't be a prestige class.

So I take this to show that there are sorcerers/bards that may descend from her, that would be unaffected.

hamishspence
2009-03-22, 05:43 PM
Sorcerers with no Draconic feats to represent their closer relationship- less likely

I was meaning, the usual sorcerer very distantly descended from dragons would be much less likely to be affected by the spell.

(not all sorcerers are dragon-descended, but thats the most common version)