PDA

View Full Version : Candle of Invocation

shatteredhalo
2009-03-22, 11:17 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered in the past, but my forum search didn't turn up much in regards to my particular curiousity.

When using the Gate function of a Candle of Invocation to call a creature, does it still require the 1,000 XP cost as if you were regularly casting the Gate spell? Is there supporting text somewhere that I'm missing which would confirm it either way?

Thanks in advance.

Crow
2009-03-22, 11:21 AM
Yes. It gives the character the ability to cast Gate, but does not pay the XP cost for the character. Keep in mind, you only pay the XP cost when Gate is used to call a creature.

Kyeudo
2009-03-22, 11:22 AM
No XP cost needed. Items already had the XP spent by the creator of the item as part of the item's creation cost. It's absolutely free to the user, which is what makes Candles of Invocation broken to pieces.

shatteredhalo
2009-03-22, 11:28 AM
Wow... totally free then? :smalleek: I guess the best solution for that is to just Rule 0 it out of the campaign?

Thanks guys!

Kyeudo
2009-03-22, 11:33 AM
Wow... totally free then? :smalleek: I guess the best solution for that is to just Rule 0 it out of the campaign?

Thanks guys!

Excellent idea. The Candle of Invocation can be used to create an infinite Wish loop and infinite Gate loop, both of which are game breakers.

Eldritch_Ent
2009-03-22, 11:39 AM
One potential fix for this is to remove the XP cost from the creation of the item, and add it back in as needing to be payed by the user. At the very least, that will stop them from using it, At least until they can afford the 1000 xp cost. At which point it should be relatively less broken.

Or you can also have it throw down a Dimensional Anchor effect, so as to prevent the creature from escaping and/or gating in someone to kick your butt. (Creature can't leave area, if candle is removed effect ends for the user's safety... It makes sense from a practicality stand point, as well as nicely preventing chaingate abuse.)