PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Disguise Self (PEACH)

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-05-07, 08:30 PM
Disguise Self, Psionic
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Telepath 1, psychic rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) 1
Display: Visual, see text
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Emanation centered on you
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Save: No; Special, see text and p. 222 of PHB
Power Resistance: Yes
You project an image of how you wish to appear to everyone within the affected area. The false image works in all other ways ways as if you were affected by the spell disguise self (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#disguise-self) (including susceptibility to the effects of true seeing and similar effects) on page 222 of the PHB.
A creature that has no visual senses or is immune to mind-affecting powers is not affected by psionic disguise self.
Augment
1: By spending 1 extra power point, the power’s duration increases to 10 min./level.
2: By spending 4 extra power points, the power’s duration increases to 1 hour/level.
3: By spending 8 extra power points, the power’s duration increases to 1 day/level.
4: By spending 4 extra power points, the power’s range increases to Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level).
In addition, for every 2 power points used to achieve the additional effects, increases the save DC by 1. For example, a manifestation augmented to last 1 day per level at Long range has a DC 6 higher than normal.

[hr]Although I purchased Complete Psionic on Friday, I have not had a chance to really digest the new classes. If you feel this would make a good lurk or mantle power, let me know.

Of course, anything else that looks like it needs PEACHing is fair game as well.

Munchy
2006-05-07, 09:10 PM
I'd change the spell from telepathy to psychometabolism or metacreation and modify the mecanism to just be a duplicate of the 'disguise self' spell. I'd also cap the duration at the hour/lvl stage as day/level seems overpowered.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 10:19 PM
Yeah, Lurk would go fine. Hiowever, definetely go psychometabolism. Mind illusions are great and all, but the ability to mold your own flesh is greater ;)

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-05-07, 10:27 PM
Yeah, Lurk would go fine. Hiowever, definetely go psychometabolism. Mind illusions are great and all, but the ability to mold your own flesh is greater ;)
But molding your own flesh would be psionic alter self. ::)

Munchy
2006-05-07, 11:29 PM
But molding your own flesh would be psionic alter self. ::)

Not as long as you don't grant all the extra things that alter self gives you. Also, you could make the flesh and clothing "feel funny" so that anyone that touches you gets a Will save to realize that something is up (As with 'Disguise self'). The mechanics would then be nearly identical, only the fluff would vary.

Everyman
2006-05-07, 11:50 PM
The problem is that if you mold your flesh, why would someone get a Will save to notice the change when they touch you? You've changed form...interaction shouldn't negate the effect.

I don't know why, but projecting an image of your new form sounds like it should entitle people to will saves even without interaction, since you are essentially trying to influence their mind.

In that case, you may want to up the power's level by one, to help grant a better save.

I'm sorry I'm not more help, but psionics are not my strong suit.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-05-08, 12:15 AM
I don't know why, but projecting an image of your new form sounds like it should entitle people to will saves even without interaction, since you are essentially trying to influence their mind.
Well, I needed it to be useful somewhere. It's already got a bunch of drawbacks compared to regular disguise self. Area of effect for one. The fact that it's an emanation makes things interesting when you go up against something that blocks line of effect but not line of sight (wall of force, anyone?). Then, of course, there's also the shorter (unaugmented) duration, the mind-affecting type, and power resistance.

Yeah, psionic illusions suck a lot compared to magic illusions. They're almost always going to be mind-affecting telepathy. (I suppose you could mimic shadow illusions with metacreativity, though.) And you'll always have to worry about the limited targets (or, in this case, area of effect). But then, those shortcomings allow you to beef things up in a few other areas. Cloud mind, the psionic equivalent to invisibility, for example, erases every sign of your presence, making you inaudible, unsmellable, and unable to be felt by one target.

But, hey, I just love the concept. Maybe I've just seen The Shadow or read Ultimate X-Men one too many times.

Seriously, folks. I'm sticking with the illusion. :P

Munchy
2006-05-08, 12:54 AM
The problem is that if you mold your flesh, why would someone get a Will save to notice the change when they touch you? You've changed form...interaction shouldn't negate the effect.

The form change is not permanent and requires magic to keep working. Because magic is involved one could cook up a millon explanations to justify the Will save. E.g. you could argue that the magic sometimes causes an odd "tingly" feeling on anyone that touches affected flesh/clothes and hence the Will save.