PDA

View Full Version : Obscene Unarmed Damage

AdamSmasher
2009-03-22, 04:09 PM
I had an idea...

Kalashtar Chaos Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 13/Totemist 2/Barbarian (Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy) 1/Any 2.

Take Talashtora at level 3 to make monk and psychic warrior stack.

Now to stack some size modifiers:
Base 2d10 (Monk's Belt)
4d8 (Mighty Arms graft with Battlefist)
6d8 (Ectoplasmic Fist quori shard)
8d8 (Fanged Ring)
12d8, 16d8 (Augmented Expansion)
22d8, (Fanged Ring)
28d8, (Totemist Chakra Bind)
36d8, (Improved Natural Attack)

36d8 damage per attack. If you have a wizard, Greater Mighty Wallop will break this further beyond belief. You could use those last two miscellaneous levels on rogue to get UMD for your own CL 12 wand of Greater Mighty Wallop. That's 44d8, 54d8, 64d8 damage per attack. 64d8. Per. Attack.

Bonus? You should have around 15 BaB at the end of this, for 3 attacks. With Flailing Strike from Chaos Monk, you get +1d6 attacks each round. Use a psychic warrior feat to get Snap Kick. Whirling Frenzy or Haste gives one more.

That makes for 5+1d6 attack per round. We'll assume the highest for sheer awesome value: 11. The average is 8.5.

11x64d8 = 704d8 = 3168 average damage per full attack.

Add in the Vampiric Blade power to heal half of that.

It may also be possible to use a psychic warrior feat to get Metamorphosis and change into something and HOPEFULLY keep your graft and battlefist. The actual form's size won't matter, due to the cap on Mighty Wallop. If you can keep your battlefist, take a level of War Shaper. This will up you to 76d8 per attack.

Now you're at 3762 damage per full attack and healing half of it.

What does the playground think?

JackMage666
2009-03-22, 04:16 PM
I don't think you can take Improved Natural Attack more than once.

Chronos
2009-03-22, 04:19 PM
First of all, you can't take Improved Natural Attack multiple times for the same natural weapon. Second, Claws of the Vampire only works with claw attacks, not unarmed strikes.

AdamSmasher
2009-03-22, 04:26 PM
Hmm. I've misread the Eberron version. It loses four size categories, I guess. But the damage is still substantial.

And I'll edit that to say Vampiric Blade, which does the same thing but CAN be used on unarmed strikes.

Arbitrarity
2009-03-22, 05:05 PM
Greater Mighty Wallop doesn't increase size above colossal.
President of Smack (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-519517), King of Smack, (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=227556) and finally, Tashlatoran god of smack, (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-883674) with 48d8 attacks.
Those are the typical "unarmed damage" builds.

AdamSmasher
2009-03-22, 05:11 PM
True... but all the others but expansion do, and you can choose which order your bonuses apply. Two more size modifiers lost.

Arbitrarity
2009-03-22, 05:14 PM
OH. Yeah, This guy (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-316793). 43d20 fists.

Also, you're scaling wrong. 16d8 becomes 24d8, 32d8, 48d8, 64d8, 96d8, 128d8, etc, IIRC.

AdamSmasher
2009-03-22, 05:25 PM
Ah, thornskin and Initiate of Draconic Mysteries. That gives me an idea...

Trade out twelve of these levels for IoDM 8/Acolyte of the Fist 4 and get the thornskin. Apply thornskin first.

1d100 damage dice.
And where are you getting your scaling? I was under the impression that it increased by two more dice than the last every two sizes.

Paramour Pink
2009-03-22, 05:54 PM
Would Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle, page 33) help for this? I don't know if it stacks with the monk's belt.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-22, 08:35 PM
Would Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle, page 33) help for this? I don't know if it stacks with the monk's belt.

It would make your unarmed damage be the same as a monk four levels higher than yours. It would stack with a Monk's Belt.

Best bet, actually, is Unarmed Variant Swordsage. Rather than go for ungodly damage per hit, how about getting something like 16 hits per round?

Here's what you do:

First off, Unarmed Swordsage15/Bloodclaw Master 5. It has the advantage of not needing to dip in six different classes to be effective.

Superior Unarmed Strike, Monk's Belt, Improved Natural Attack, and let's not forget Snap Kick and Shadow Blade (which makes Strength a dump stat). Then TWF, ITWF, and STWF.

Size increases are easy, just get a friendly caster to Permenancy Enlarge Person.

Now you are doing something like 16d6 or so damage, so how do we get craptons of attacks?

First off, Pouncing Strike. Basically, lets you make a full attack on a charge. So, because Bloodclaw Master is a full BAB class, you have a BAB of +16, so you get that last iterative attack. That's 4 + 3 offhand + 1 from snap kick = 8, then boost with Raging Mongoose for an extra 4 attacks for 12 attacks. Now that you have closed, if it is still alive, you use Time Stands Still + Raging Mongoose Boost for 20-24 attacks, depending on how you read 'make a full attack' with the raging mongoose boost applying or not applying to the second 'round' of attacks.

theMycon
2009-03-22, 08:56 PM
Monk's Belt & SUA are usually considered not to stack on these board (as rules are usually interpreted as harmfully as possible towards the monk). They say they're both "damage as though you were 4 or 5 levels higher than you are." By RAW, however, they probably should- there's no reason they shouldn't, and DnD seems to like flexibility.

Magical & Feat bonii stack, unless they both specifically say "enhancement" or something. The spells Monk's Belt are based on also say only that Magical size bonuses don't stack, inferring they stack with other types of bonus.

DM's interpretation, however, is going to be pretty clear if they allow you to use a fanged ring. They'll probably let you get away with Pun-pun if they allow those.

Starscream
2009-03-22, 09:39 PM
For the 2 "Any" classes I'd consider Kensai. An extra +2 to all your natural weapons for little cost.

I'd personally sacrifice one of the pluses to get the "Keen" special ability. Doubling your crit range with so much damage would be deadly.

Xenogears
2009-03-22, 09:49 PM
Theres a feat in Oriental Adventures called Roundabout Kick that lets you get an extra attack after every Crit with unarmed attacks.

Arbitrarity
2009-03-22, 10:02 PM
Ah, thornskin and Initiate of Draconic Mysteries. That gives me an idea...

Trade out twelve of these levels for IoDM 8/Acolyte of the Fist 4 and get the thornskin. Apply thornskin first.

1d100 damage dice.
And where are you getting your scaling? I was under the impression that it increased by two more dice than the last every two sizes.

90% sure that it's scaling as "doubles every two size categories", as a *1.5, then *4/3.
The d100 was a possible interpretation of that monk build, but most consider it rather silly.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-22, 10:47 PM
Theres a feat in Oriental Adventures called Roundabout Kick that lets you get an extra attack after every Crit with unarmed attacks.

Relying on crits on unarmed attacks is not very worthwhile, because even with Improved Critical, your unarmed attacks only threat on 19-20. Best to grab Snap Kick from ToB, which just lets you add an extra attack at a -2 to all attacks that round.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-23, 02:27 AM
Now to stack some size modifiers:
8d8 (Fanged Ring)
22d8, (Fanged Ring)
36d8, (Improved Natural Attack)A Fanged Ring grants the Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) feat.
If a character has the same feat more than once, its benefits do not stack unless indicated otherwise in the description.

In general, having a feat twice is the same as having it once. You only get one size increase from these three entries.

Armads
2009-03-23, 03:46 AM
Swordsage 15/Bloodclaw Master 5 build

Bloodclaw master isn't full BAB and before higher level maneuvers the character will actually be quite weak.