PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Revenge is a dish best served cold...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-27, 08:51 PM
Heartsblood Boar

Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 6d12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+1 dex, +10 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
Attack: Gore +7 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Gore +7 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Chilling gaze, crimson retribution, unholy fury
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., hide death, immunity to cold, undead traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +10
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con -, Int 4, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Jump +7, Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness(B), Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Power Attack
Environment: Cold or temperate forest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 7-13 HD (Medium), 14-22 HD (Large), 23-30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

A heart's blood boar appears as a coal-black brute of a boar with dark splotches and freckles of dark grey. Its bulk is tremendous, with a broad back and mountainous muscles supported by thick legs ending in cloven hooves. Razor sharp tusks sprout from below a wide bristly snout. Above are empty eye sockets surrounded by veins of frozen white ice. The only bit of color about it is the deep puncture wounds caused by spear and arrow that bled and froze in scintilating dark red ice crystals.

A heartblood boar is a creature whom was hunted during mid-winter celebrations soley for sport and then left to die in the bitter snow. Angered by the injustice and waste on this sacred day, a chill deity gifts them with a false life during the cold months and instilled within it the wisdom to understand the deed done to it while living. It seeks out and follows hunters, observing them from afar to watch their actions with a jaundiced eye.

During the summer months in temperate lands a heartsblood boar weakens and dies only to rise up the next snowfall. In permanently chill locales however it remains active year long.

A heartsblood boar tends to be the same size and weight as normal boars. Heartsblood boars understand the language of the race of its killers but cannot speak any.

Combat
If a heartsblood boar finds a hunter hunting for sport alone it goes into an unholy fury and will not stop fighting until it or its opponent is dead. It tends to approach them slowly with a chilling gaze, weakening them before rushing with an angered roar.

Chilling Gaze (Su): Exhaustion and 1d6 cold damage, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 14 negates. Save DC is Charisma-based.

Crimson Retribution (Su): When a heartsblood boar is struck in combat while within a snowfield its blood soaks within, acting as the Blood Snow spell (Frostburn, p. 89) though all its affects are limited to within 10 feet. Those in this radius must succeed on a DC 14 fortitude save or take 1d2 points of consitituion drain each round they remain within the snow. This blood snow lasts for a number of rounds equal to the heartsblood boar's HD. A heartsblood boar that shares the same 10-foot section of blood snow as its opponent heals a number of hit points equal to three times that of the number of ability points drained. A heartsblood boar can retain up to twice its healthy total for an hour before they fade away. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Hide Death (Su): A heartsblood boar cannot be identified as undead by divination spells or clairsentience powers.

Relentless Ferocity (Ex): A heartsblood boar retains its refusal to succumb and can only be defeated with great difficulty. It is not destroyed when it is dealt enough damage to reduce its hit points to 0 or lower. Instead it may make a DC 20 will save to continue on. If it succeeds it may continue to fight without penalty until its hit points are reduced to -10 or lower. At this point it may make a second will save (DC 25) to continue fighting. For every 10 additional hit points recieved the DC increases by 5.

Unholy Fury (Ex): Thrice per day, a heartsblood boar may work itself into an unholy fury similar to the barbarian’s rage (+4 Strength, +2 morale bonus on Will saves, –2 AC penalty). The frenzy lasts for the duration of the encounter, and the boar suffers no ill effects afterward. While in this rage the boar's natural attacks are infused with negative energy that deal an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful hit. The boar cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-27, 09:52 PM
Hmmm, only active during the winter months? Why not make it so the Bloodboar can't enter any area above the freezing point? It fades from existence during the warm season, but reappears whenever the temp drops below freezing. Interior hearths and the immediate area around a campfire would be safe, which gives hunters a zone of safety. Then they can choose between hunting (and risking a Bloodboar attack) or staying close to the hearth (and suffering starvation).

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-27, 09:57 PM
Added a bit more info one when and where it can be found. Not going to make it not be able to go near a fire though, as for one it is no more affected by fire than normal creatures. Just seasonal heat.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-27, 11:15 PM
I can see that, but I think of it as an interesting quirk connected to its cold origins that could give cunning players an edge on it, just like a sphinx's riddles or a vampire's garlic allergies.

At the very least, there could be rumors that campfires/hearths keep the Bloodboars away.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 11:01 AM
I can see that, but I think of it as an interesting quirk connected to its cold origins that could give cunning players an edge on it, just like a sphinx's riddles or a vampire's garlic allergies.

At the very least, there could be rumors that campfires/hearths keep the Bloodboars away.
Naw, I'd think it'd actually be attracted to campfires. It means hunters are near...

bosssmiley
2006-08-28, 11:14 AM
"Friday 13th" meets "The Hogfather". :D

I really like this thing, reads like something from how Ravenloft should have been. This ain't no wandering xp waiting to be picked off; it's a proper 'presaging and slow reveals', star of the show horror movie monster.

Particularly tickled by the Hide Death SQ. Something like that is flavourful and stops players from breaking out the holy water and clerics as soon as they make the undeath connection. Has the potential for all sorts of entertaining misapplied strategies with a little NPC misinformation added to the mix.

Crimson Retribution is nasty though. Area effect Con drain from spilled blood is a great evocation of the whole "I'll kill you back" aspect of boars.

GJ VT.

"SOOOUUUUUWWWWEEEE!"

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-28, 07:19 PM
Naw, I'd think it'd actually be attracted to campfires. It means hunters are near...

Attracted, yes. Approaching? No. A bloodboar can still circle around the campfire from a distance, looking for a hunter to appear, without ambushing him while he's sleeping next to it and goring him to death. Besides, if they don't approach hearths/campfires, it strengthens their symbolism as the "revenge of the hunt".

Hunters must leave the safety of their campfire to hunt wild animals. If they risk a hunt, they risk a bloodboar. If they don't hunt, no bloodboars. That connection's lost if the bloodboar just attacks them indiscriminately. Would Friday the 13th hold so much impact if Jason just killed campers randomly instead of targeting the ones making out?

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-28, 09:12 PM
Um...do you know you said that last part twice, Mike?

I'd leave it the same as far as fires go. It makes sense. It's not sesitive to heat, it was pointlessly killed during the winter, and left to die in the cold, when it comes back. Not killing the people it hunted down just because they're close to fire doesn't make sense, imo.

As for the rest of the monster, this creature owns. The only thing wrong with the numbers that I see is that with a Dex of 12 its initiative should be +1, not +2. All of its special attacks and qualities are perfect. I just wish I knew what the Blood Snow spell did. Unless it just does what you wrote.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-28, 11:56 PM
Question: Why would a boar be able to become undead out of anger? Why would any deity waste the time to let an animal become undead? Or any non-sentient creature for that matter? It's a well constructed and powerful opponent, as should be expected from you, but I think its origins need tweaking.

smartdumkid
2006-08-29, 12:56 AM
I think most nature deities or deities of vengeance or deities of predators would see the point in raising an animal as undead for revenge. I really like the origin.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-30, 11:20 PM
Particularly tickled by the Hide Death SQ. Something like that is flavourful and stops players from breaking out the holy water and clerics as soon as they make the undeath connection. Has the potential for all sorts of entertaining misapplied strategies with a little NPC misinformation added to the mix.
Precisely ;D

The only thing wrong with the numbers that I see is that with a Dex of 12 its initiative should be +1, not +2.
D'oh! Will adjust.

I just wish I knew what the Blood Snow spell did. Unless it just does what you wrote.
Naw, its just a tad more complicated than what I wrote.

Question: Why would a boar be able to become undead out of anger? Why would any deity waste the time to let an animal become undead? Or any non-sentient creature for that matter? It's a well constructed and powerful opponent, as should be expected from you, but I think its origins need tweaking.
I dunno, why wouldn't a deity waste their time? Maybe the deity could merely be the 'spirit of the forest' or some such.