PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Fragments of Reality

kingofthemorning
2006-08-30, 08:04 PM
Here's a cool (I think) prestige class I made in my free time (my first), I hope to add and organization and another PrC to go with it, but give me time.

The alley was cold and damp, as it was on these dark nights. Borg walked forward, carefully. Betrayal he was expecting, he just knew not how it would come. He heard the sound of a man muttering, no… whispering. His hand gripped tighter on his battle-axe. Then he saw him, a sorcerer. Borg laughed, “How foolish your masters are to use such magics against me.” He quickly advanced and swung his axe right through the sorcerer’s neck. The sorcerer stood there unfazed, still muttering. An illusion, thought Borg, Hmm, a challenge. Borg whispered a few words of his own, expecting the illusion to vanish from sight. The illusion flinched then reached out to touch Borg on the forehead. Borg never felt the sorcerer’s finger…

Illusion:

Prestige class:
Illusions are a small select group of arcane casters. Characters who become and Illusion are usually illusionists or at least ones devoted to the magic of trickery. These casters have chosen to go beyond simply manipulating reality and have succeeded in doubting, not only the reality of the world around them, but also the reality of there own existence. Almost all Illusions are sorcerers, though some are bards, and there have been known to be one or two wizard Illusions in existence.

HD: d4

Skills: 2+ intelligence modifier
Class skills: Same as sorcerer - proffesion

Requirements:
Arcane caster level: 8
Feats: Spell focus (illusion), Greater Spell focus (illusion)
Skills: Knowledge (arcane): 10 ranks
Spells: Able to cast 4th level illusion spells.

Level BAB Fort Reflex Will Special

1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Illusion (silent); +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Extra illusion (1); Illusionist +1; +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Illusion (minor) +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Extra illusion (2); +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Illusion (major); Illusionist +2; +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Extra illusion (3); +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7 +3 +2 +2 +5 Illusion (persistent); +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

8 +4 +2 +2 +6 Extra illusion (4); Illusionist +3; +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9 +4 +3 +3 +6 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Illusion (permanent); Extra illusion (5)

Spells per Day

For every level other than ninth, when a new Illusion level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of Illusion to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became an Illusion, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Illusion for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Illusion (silent)

At first level, the Illusion gains the ability to stop existing. With the expense of one 1st level or higher spell slot (if sorcerer or bard) or a prepared illusion spell of first level or higher (wizard) he disappears completely and in his place, there is an exact copy of himself, equivalent to a silent image. This ability lasts for the duration of the silent image spell (concentration). You may not cast a spell in the same round, unless quickened.

The illusion can cast spells that have no material, verbal, or focus components. If the character has the feat “Eschew Materials” then they can cast spells with material components. If the character is using the feat “Silent Spell” the spell is considered to have no Verbal component. To successfully cast a spell they must make a concentration check on both the spell being cast and the illusion ability itself (DC 10 plus spell level for both). The player must declare which roll is for which before the rolls. If the Illusion fails the check for the spell being cast then the spell fails and the slot or prepared spell is wasted. If the Illusion fails the check on the illusion ability then they come back into existence normally and then casts the spell. The Illusion provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.

This is a move-equivalent action and provokes an attack of opportunity (but you’re an illusion by the time the character would be struck, so who cares?). When the Illusion stops concentrating, he comes back into existence, which does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

This ability can be dispelled, and if a dispelling attempt succeeds then the caster takes 1d6 damage from the effects of being forced back into existence.

Extra Illusion

At second level, and every two levels after that, the Illusion gains one extra spell slot at their highest level that can only be used for illusion spells or their Illusion ability (sorcerer or bard) or they gain one “use” of their Illusion ability (any kind which they possess) (wizard).

Illusionist

At second level and every three levels after that, the Illusion gains a +1 to all numeric factors in there illusion spells and illusion ability. This includes DC’s and duration. Example: When casting the spell silent image the normal duration is concentration, but with Illusionist +1, the duration is concentration plus one round. When using the ability illusion (silent) with Illusionist +1 it lasts concentration plus one round, and in that last
“extra” round, the Illusion can cast spells without needing to make a concentration check.

This also adds a negative modifier equal to the positive one to the DC for dispelling the Illusion ability.

Illusion (minor)

At third level, the Illusion, with the expense of one 2nd level or higher spell slot (if sorcerer or bard) or a prepared illusion spell of second level or higher (wizard) he disappears completely and in his place, there is an exact copy of himself, equivalent to a minor image. This ability lasts the same duration as the spell.

The rules are equivalent to Illusion (silent) except that in the extra rounds when the Illusion does not need to concentrate, the Illusion can cast spells without concentration checks, also the damage taken from dispelling is increased to 2d6

The Illusion can still use the Illusion (silent) ability.

Illusion (major)

At fifth level, the Illusion, with the expense of one 3rd level or higher spell slot (if sorcerer or bard) or a prepared illusion spell of third level or higher (wizard) he disappears completely and in his place, there is an exact copy of himself, equivalent to a major image. This ability lasts the same duration as the spell.

The rules are equivalent to Illusion (minor), except that the Illusion can cast spells with verbal components, also the damage taken from dispelling is increased to 3d6

The Illusion can still use the Illusion (silent) and (minor) ability.

Illusion (Persistent)

At seventh level, the Illusion, with the expense of one 5th level or higher spell slot (if sorcerer or bard) or a prepared illusion spell of fifth level or higher (wizard) he disappears completely and in his place, there is an exact copy of himself, equivalent to a persistent image. This ability lasts the same duration as the spell.

The rules are equivalent to Illusion (major), except that the Illusion can cast spells without the check to sustain the ability (but still the check for the spell) and that the damage taken from dispelling is increased to 4d6

The Illusion can still use the Illusion (silent), (minor), and (major) ability.

Illusion (Permanent)

At tenth level, the Illusion, with the expense of one 6th level or higher spell slot (if sorcerer or bard) or a prepared illusion spell of sixth level or higher (wizard) he disappears completely and in his place, there is an exact copy of himself, equivalent to a permanent image. This ability lasts until dispelled, or voluntarily ended.

During this ability, the Illusion still suffers from lack of sleep, drink, and/or food, and must end the ability to do these things.

The rules are equivalent to Illusion (persistent) except that the damage taken from dispelling is 5d6.

The Illusion can still use the Illusion (silent), (minor), (major), and (persistent) ability.

Edit: More drawbacks to spellcasting while using Illusion ability.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-30, 08:19 PM
Wow. I can become permanently immaterial, without need for food, dirnk or sleep, as well as having no downsides whatsoever and still be able to cast all spells? Sign me up!

I understand the idea and your reasoning for your abilities, but to there has to be some drawbacks to it. and no, low BAB and fort/Ref saves aren't drawbacks, they come with the territory. Also, I would eleiminate the Permanent and Persistent versions altogether, as they are really far too powerful if caught alone, or if backed up for that matter. You could never be cornered or damaged if you're aware of the attack. Try toning the bonuses down a bit; remember, you don't have to make the class skills identical to the spells. This is your creation.

kingofthemorning
2006-08-30, 08:24 PM
I see your point and what if I made the ability extra succeptible to dispelling?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-30, 09:04 PM
That would go a long way towards balance, but still needs something to make sure that the Illusion can't just run circles around melee combatants not backed by arcane spellcasters.

kingofthemorning
2006-08-30, 09:34 PM
Changed it so the ability is vunerable to dispelling and that Illusionist also gives negative bonuses to the DC for dispelling. PLayer also takes damage from dispelling.

Also all spells cast during the Illusion ability still need to have a concetration check to not fail.