PDA

View Full Version : Making a pirate is 3.5e

theonesin
2009-03-22, 10:28 PM
We're going to be starting a new campaign soon, and I want to play a pirate-like character. We're starting at level 14, and pretty much any book or resource is allowed so long as we run stuff by the DM. I'm not sure how else to describe what I'm looking for other than just being a stereotypical pirate, though I want to be as effective at combat as I can. Thanks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-22, 10:34 PM
Swordsage or Warblade together model every type of martial character ever. Swashbuckler/Rogue gives you a tricky/canny Fighter. Bard/Dread Pirate is obvious, for the 'Inspiring Captain'.

Really, you need to give me more before I can give you anything specific.

Assassin89
2009-03-22, 10:37 PM
Depending on the setting, your character should have some capabilities in naval combat, meaning that stormwrack could be used. Otherwise I have no ideas except using a class that can give you ranks in profession.

theonesin
2009-03-22, 10:42 PM
Ok, our DM has given a few rules: "No gestalts and no homebrew unless otherwise stated, dragon magazine materials must be ok'd by me and any real dnd book info is allowed unless otherwise stated", and we're rolling our stats using d8+10.

The setting is that the party all follows the same deity, based on Catholicism (the DM is making it a custom religion thing), and we're basically playing out the Crusades: killing "heathens" in the name of our deity.

Playing as a pirate doesn't really "fit", but the DM already said I could play one, and it just sounds cool to me. But I doubt we'd be doing much, if any, navel combat.

Eldariel
2009-03-22, 10:48 PM
What type of a pirate are you looking to play? The capt'n? The boarder? The sailor? Just your average "dirty fighter"?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-22, 10:48 PM
Ok, our DM has given a few rules: "No gestalts and no homebrew unless otherwise stated, dragon magazine materials must be ok'd by me and any real dnd book info is allowed unless otherwise stated", and we're rolling our stats using d8+10.

The setting is that the party all follows the same deity, based on Catholicism (the DM is making it a custom religion thing), and we're basically playing out the Crusades: killing "heathens" in the name of our deity.

Playing as a pirate doesn't really "fit", but the DM already said I could play one, and it just sounds cool to me. But I doubt we'd be doing much, if any, navel combat.That's fine, but what do you want to do? Acrobatic fighting? Swordsage. Thug-at-sea? Warblade. Reformed Pirate Capitan? Bard/Dread Pirate. Criminal-at-sea? Rogue, maybe with Swashbuckler or Scout.

Pirate is too broad. All I see is options. More data on the concept will make it easier to pick a race/class.

theonesin
2009-03-22, 10:57 PM
Well, I'm assuming that I'll be the only "pirate" in the group, so I'd either be a captain-like figure, or more likely just a "dirty fighter".

Oh, and I'd rather not play Swordsage again, as I had already recently played one.

Eldariel
2009-03-22, 11:00 PM
I think Swashbuckler/Rogue (emphasis depending on whether you want to maximize skills or BAB & combat ability; at least 3 levels of both with Daring Outlaw though) fits that rather well if you don't feel the Swordsage for this character.

Although Swordsage is the kind of class you can build in 600 different ways making them all feel totally different, so replaying it wouldn't probably feel like playing the old character at all.

Indeed.
2009-03-22, 11:03 PM
For a captain-like figure, Dread Pirate is the way to go. It's a bard PrC that works with inspiring speeches for music effects and swashbuckling. Can be found in Complete Adventurer if I recall.

theonesin
2009-03-22, 11:10 PM
I tend to focus more on combat ability. As for the Swordsage thing, the way I played the class before was pretty much taking only maneuvers from....Desert Wind (the one with all the fire-based attacks)? So I guess a Swordsage that didn't use any of those could work.

I'm kind of interesting in the Swashbuckler class though, unless for some reason it doesn't actually make a good "pirate", despite how it sounds.

BRC
2009-03-22, 11:16 PM
In DnD, a Pirate is really 90% Fluff and 10% Crunch. With the exception of the Scarlet Corsair PRC from Stormwrack, any build that could be a Pirate could very easily also be an honorable sailor with a knack for combat.
Now, the origional crusades were full of scoundrels, as the pope had promised all crusders would go to heaven (I think), alot of unsavory types joined up. Plus the area had plenty of Plunder, and this was an opporotunity to do it legally, no questions asked.

So the question is, WHY is your Pirate joining with this. There are many options. Maybe he began to regret his choice of career and has decided to redeem himself. Maybe he got caught and, in order to escape the noose, claimed he was going crusading. Maybe he dosn't feel those armor-polishin' knights should get all the loot, so he joins up hoping to get some for himself.

Eldariel
2009-03-22, 11:19 PM
Swashbuckler (the class) sucks is the prime problem of it. It's built rather poorly and doesn't really have too many interesting abilities, especially none that are Charisma-derived, nor is there anything regarding Feinting (the Swashbuckler-move). But a Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17 with Daring Outlaw is a solid character, especially with Able Learner. Sneak Attacks like a fiend.

And if I were to imagine a Swordsage Pirate, it would mostly be Diamond Mind with a smattering of Tiger Claw (sudden leap, for example - also some Jump attacks and maybe some flurry-abilities) and Shadow Hand (all the "ambush" maneuvers and probably Assassin's Stance) along with possibly some basic stuff from Setting Sun (Counter Charge seems really appropriate), Desert Wind (mostly just Zephyr Dance along with possibly Desert Twister or the like; none of the flaming weapons-crap, although Flame's Blessing may be cool) & Stone Dragon (not sure really, Mountain Hammer might warrant inclusion although it isn't really your shtick).

Homebrew a feat that acts like "Kung-Fu Genius" to derive your AC bonus and abilities off Int instead of Wis (makes so much more sense for a swashbucklerish character), consider taking Invisible Blade (preferably a fixed version that doesn't limit you to Daggers; they're fine backup weapons but obviously your main weapon is a Rapier) for the Ambush-strikes (free action Feinting) and go to town.

Draz74
2009-03-22, 11:34 PM
But a Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 16 with Daring Outlaw is a solid character, especially with Able Learner. Sneak Attacks like a fiend.

Fixed (minor nitpick). (Rogue 4 is a much better level than Swash 17.)

I'd recommend either this build, or a Factotum (or Factotum/Rogue). Or Swashbuckler/Warblade.

Swordsage doesn't actually strike me as a very natural fit for a pirate. (It can be done, of course; Swordsage is very flexible and "pirate" is very broad; but "pirate" isn't as natural for a Swordsage, IMHO, as "dervish" or "ninja" or "monk" or "assassin" or "non-pirate swashbucker" or many other concepts.)

If you have access to Factotum and you haven't seen it played before, try it. It's widely acclaimed as an extremely fun class to play, and it can certainly be made pirate-y.

Hmmm, or "witch-doctor" "pirates" are fun. You could be a Binder. Or, again, a Factotum. Or a Dragon Shaman, but those are kinda weak.

theonesin
2009-03-22, 11:37 PM
I've never heard of Factotum. What book is it from?

Eldariel
2009-03-23, 09:40 AM
Dungeonscape. That said, it only has Int-synergies. But it does that part really well so it could work. A great class to be sure; as the name suggests, they can be literally anything.

Telonius
2009-03-23, 11:40 AM
Ahoy! There be a pirate build o' mine off the starboard Character Builder thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18300&page=38).

Halfling

Starting Stats:
Str (12-2) 10
Dex (12+2) 14
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 12

Rogue1 Quick Draw (1st level feat), Sneak 1d6
Jump 4, Balance 4, Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Tumble 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Appraise 4, Use Rope 4, Swim 4
Rogue1/Swashbuckler(CWar) 1 Weapon Finesse, Extreme Leap skill trick (from skills)
Balance 5, Bluff 5, Jump 5, Tumble 5, Profession (Sailor) 5, Intimidate 5, Extreme Leap Skill trick (CSco)
Rog2/Sws1 Evasion (Rogue), Tumbling Crawl Skill Trick (from skills), Freerunner (CSco) (3rd Level Feat) = Nimble Charge skill trick
Tumbling Crawl skill trick, Appraise 6, Profession 6, Intimidate 6
Rog2/Sws2 Grace +1, +1 Dex
Profession 7
Rog3/Sws2 Sneak 2d6, Hidden Blade skill trick
Profession 8, Bluff 8, Intimidate 8, Appraise 8, Hidden Blade skill trick
Rog3/Sws3 Insightful Strike (Sws), Daring Outlaw (6th level feat) = +3d6 sneak, +1 Dodge to AC
Rog4/Sws3 Uncanny Dodge, Sneak +4d6
Rog4/Sws3/Dread Pirate(CAdv)1 Two-Weapon Fighting, +1 Dex
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/Scarlet Corsair(Stormwrack)1 Improved Feint (Corsair), Improved TWF (9th level feat)
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/ScC2 Sneak +5d6
Rog4/Sws3/DrP1/ScC3 Corsair's Feint

Key Equipment: +1 Keen rapier, +1 Keen kukri, +2 Mithral chain, Gloves of Dex +4, Three-Cornered Hat, Spyglass, Parrot

So, at 11th level, that will amount to:

Str 10
Dex 16 (+4 gloves) = 20
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 12

+10 BAB
Fort +6, Ref +14, Will +6
Single Attack: 10 +5(dex) +1 (small) +1 (magic) = +17
Full attack: 15/15/10/10, d4+4 on the rapier, d3+4 on the Kukri, both at 15-20x2.
Sneak +5d6
AC = 10 + 5 (dex) +2 (magic) +4 (Mithral Chain) + 1 (Dodge) +1 (Size) = 23
Hidden Blade, Quick Draw, and Corsair's Feint will help the character get as many sneak attacks as possible. Nimble Charge and Extreme Leap will help the character navigate a pitching ship, or a barroom brawl. Relatively high (for a Rogue-ish combatant) attack bonuses help him connect. Insightful Strike puts his intelligence to use. The biggest catch I'm seeing is that for the build to work, he needs access to a ship.

Nice little 11th-level build, very piratey, and a Halfling. Biggest issue is getting the ship, which may or may not be possible. You can take it Rogue, Swashbuckler, or whatever you like for the rest of the way out.

Draz74
2009-03-23, 03:49 PM
Jack Sparrow (IMHO): Factotum3 / Rogue2 / Fortune's Friend2 / Uncanny Trickster3.