PDA

View Full Version : What perspective would you like to see this from?

Ascension
2009-03-22, 11:47 PM
Well, like so many others, I have an idea for a novel. And if you read past this sentence it will be SPOILED for you.

With that warning out of the way, here's the situation. It's going to be science fiction, with one of the main concepts being that the much hyped psychic super soldiers employed by the protagonists' faction in a human v human space war are, in fact, complete frauds being used to put a heroic human face on a war actually being won by impersonal combat drones.

I have three ideas about how to present this:

I.) The protagonist is a civilian, possibly an investigative reporter but probably just a random everyman, who has befriended an elderly veteran of the last great war. The veteran has been working on a book about the war, but has not ever let the protagonist read any of what he has been writing. After the veteran's death the protagonist learns that the unfinished manuscript has been left to him, but it quickly becomes apparent when he receives it that it has been clumsily censored. An investigation of the blanks in the old man's book leads him on a journey across the solar system, unraveling bits and pieces of a vast cover-up along the way. The truth, that the psychics who won the last war were fakes, is revealed roughly 2/3rds of the way through the book, and the last third or so deals with the protagonist attempting to break the story to the public.

II.) The (initial) protagonist is one of the early would-be super soldiers, from the days when the government actually was trying to create psychics. The truth is that he is no more psychic than the later super soldiers, the actors in pilot suits, but in an attempt to save their jobs the scientists who created him have done their best to fool both him and their superiors into thinking that he is psychic. He has doubts in his own abilities, but everyone assures him that he is what he is supposed to be... He dies the first time he sorties in combat and the rest of the book deals with the fallout... The government learns of his creators' falsehoods, becomes convinced that the super soldier program is a failure, and ultimately okays both the production of the combat drones and the cover-up via false psychics. The last chapter would be written as an ironic echo of the first, with the first of the new generation of pseudopsychics preparing for his deployment.

III.) To use a TV Tropesism, the protagonists of proposal III are Those Two Guys from II. We see the war from the POV of a pair of mundane pilots who serve alongside both the hapless boy who thinks he's psychic and the arrogant guy who knows he isn't. They are, of course, kept out of the loop, but they have their own suspicions about the supposed psychics. There will probably be a romance between them, and one of them will probably die. The survivor will get confirmation after the war that the psychics were a sham, but will be given a gag order and will be placed under surveillance for the rest of his/her life.

I feel it important to point out that it's the same story regardless of the perspective. The veteran in I is the captain of the carrier all the pilots in II and III are deployed from. The protagonist in I would come across the diary of the protagonist from II and would meet some of the scientists from II and the survivor from III. All the characters in II and III are present on the same ship and will interact with each other, all that differs is who is given the main focus.

In brief: I focuses more on the government conspiracy that covers up all the messy failed genetic experiments and on the public's reactions to the war. I also takes place after the fact, with the war itself being told only in flashback. II starts out sweetness-and-light, with the protagonist a child hero set to save his people from a senseless war, and turns dark quickly when his light is snuffed. From there on out II asks the question "What do you do when your hero is dead?" only to answer it with "Create another one." (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeUltimateHero) III is pretty much a straight senselessness-of-war piece, complete with tragic love story and meaningless death, with an extra kick in the gut in the form of the revelation that the protagonists' supposed salvation was a lie all along.

Which telling would you prefer to read?

Fawkes
2009-03-22, 11:52 PM
Do you necessarily have to pick one? It seems to me you could easily switch between protagonists between chapters, using all three POVs to build the overarching story.

Edit: Alternatively, you could use I as a frame, start the story with II, then switch to III after the initial protag dies.

Ascension
2009-03-23, 01:44 AM
Edit: Alternatively, you could use I as a frame, start the story with II, then switch to III after the initial protag dies.

That was actually the original plan, but if I is to have any element of mystery about the effectiveness of the psychics most of the information from II will have to be suppressed until late in the book.

I do want to utilize varying POVs, and III is the only option that doesn't make heavy use of them, but I'm afraid trying to look at things from every side would put too many balls in the air for me to juggle.

Hmm... I could... if the survivor from III doesn't have solid confirmation of the psychics' fraudulency...

Incomplete manuscript inherited from veteran > Initial investigation > Lead to survivor in nursing home > segue to II > Further investigation, using leads from II > Lead to boy's "mother" > I (diary + wrap-up from "mom") > Shootout? Chase scene? Violence of some sort. > Gov't in active pursuit, must reach final evidence prior to its destruction. > Failure? Cover story remains intact, investigator takes truth to the grave, Gov't wraps up remaining loose ends, everything buried in the sands of time, lost to history forever? Need to work in actor somewhere... in nursing home w/ survivor?

God I need to give these characters names. Using titles and pronouns gets really confusing, really fast.

I think you're right, though, that a composite is the best idea. As I said, that's what I was originally aiming for, but I lowered my sights... still, I might be able to make this work as originally planned...

Serpentine
2009-03-23, 01:53 AM
It's quite possible I'm reading your options wrong and you've already come up with this, but I've got a possibility.
Have it switch between your I.), and make the old man, I suppose, you II.). The story would switch between I.) trying to fill in the blanks of the book the old man wrote, presumably about himself (or not necessarily, really). Possibly as he fills in a section of the manuscript, it goes back and looks at what that section is describing. Alternatively, it switches between I.)'s search for the truth and the actual filled-in sections of manuscript.
I'm not sure whether I explained this properly... Anyway, I got this idea from another book (Alphabet of Thorns, I think). It's about a girl translating a book written in a strange and exotic alphabet. It alternates between her story, and what part of the book she's translated so far. Not really relevant here, but eventually she finishes the translation, and it and her life slam together.
Just a thought, anyways.

Groundhog
2009-03-23, 09:58 AM
If you're only going to use one POV, I'd go for the second one. But I agree that using all three would be better.

DraPrime
2009-03-23, 05:36 PM
Second is the best in my opinion. The idea of seeing a conspiracy from the perspective of someone who helps the conspiracy and doesn't even really know it fascinates me. Just don't make it too obvious that the soldier's psychic powers are fake until you confirm it. Have there be real ambiguity, so the reader wants to know if the guy is right with his suspicions, or if he's just crazy.

Ascension
2009-03-23, 11:50 PM
I'm not confident in my ability to make the frame story work. I think I'm going to try my hand at it, but if it doesn't start coming together I think I'll scrap it and go on to II. I think I might extend the first protagonist's survival in II as well... If I give him some initial success, even enough of a winning streak to begin to believe in himself, then I can let his overconfidence destroy him. If I can do it well I'll have the audience believing in him too, just before I crush their hopes.

A note: The reason why psychic abilities are supposed to be a war-winning breakthrough is that the space fighters in question employ laser weapons from distances up to several light-seconds. Their tactical computers give the pilots probability plots based on last observed data showing what general area the enemy fighters are likely to be in at the time their shots would reach the target, but everything is still guesswork. They're always shooting where their targets might be, never where their targets definitely are, and, given that their opponents possess similar technology, evasion is just as random. Telepathy or clairvoyance would give pilots the edge, would give them an idea of where their opponent is and where their opponent is firing. Psychic abilities would allow combat based on skill, not on blind luck.

Rutskarn
2009-03-23, 11:55 PM
If I had to go with just one, I'd use the first.

If I had my druthers, I'd instead take multiple perspectives. Maybe start with a brief interlude of 1 to set the stage for the mystery, work into 2, use snippets of 4, and work in just a little 3.