PDA

View Full Version : "Smoking Smarties" or how people keeps getting dumber

FdL
2009-03-23, 02:22 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123750945477390601.html

Supposedly there's this new trend among kids where they buy Smarties candies and grind them, then inhale the dust to later exhale the resulting "smoke" to make it look like they're smoking tobacco.

Now, why would anyone think that LOOKING like you're smoking tobacco could look cool?

How many smokers think that exhaling toxic smokes looks cool? Actually, how many smokers got into this disgusting addiction by thinking it would make them "look cool"?

My opinion is that this is another proof of how our society is losing its values and the kids and teenagers are clueless as to what to make of their lives. I mean, to me this is a quite stupid thing to do, even if it didn't have potential health risks (irritation and even getting maggots on your respiratory tract).

I welcome you to express your opinion on the subject.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-23, 02:34 PM
Today on "Slow News Day"

I spent most of the time reading that suppressing laughter at the extreme stupidity shown on all sides.

A gateway drug to actual smoking or pot? Seriously?

A detention for having Smarties? Come on...

of course, to top it all off...

Smoking Smarties? I know these kids probably have a lot of time on their hands, but still, read a damn book.

Copacetic
2009-03-23, 02:41 PM
I but what that no makey sense.

Who would you want to look like your smoking? WHY?

Alleine
2009-03-23, 02:43 PM
I can't decide if it's better or worse than snorting pixie sticks.

late for dinner
2009-03-23, 02:57 PM
I think it would hurt too much for me to even try/think about trying. I have no idea why someone would do it....as for getting a detention cause you have smarties, you are a stupid teacher for doing that. Let the kids learn the hard way. Detention doesnt protect them. They are going to leave and do it right after.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-03-23, 02:59 PM
And here I was, the uncool and old twenty year old who was under the impression the look was one of th eleast attractive aspects of smoking, right up there with the smell.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-23, 03:01 PM
And here I was, the uncool and old twenty year old who was under the impression the look was one of th eleast attractive aspects of smoking, right up there with the smell.

Nah, the smell was worse. Trust me. Even my smoking buddies back then didn't like it.

Which of course begs the question...

Dragonrider
2009-03-23, 03:04 PM
Cigarette smoke makes me hurl.

That is all. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-03-23, 03:12 PM
Just wait until they grow up and try anything the Internet says may have mentally affecting qualities.

People are imbeciles. I have a cousin who tries anything he's told might get him high, which is how he ended up drinking pure cough syrup and finding out that the resultant high did not mitigate the lovely side effects of sorbitol.

If I told him there was an inhalable stimulant in Smarties, he'd probably do it.

Ugh. :smallannoyed: I hate imbeciles.

Jibar
2009-03-23, 03:13 PM
Guys, we've had rather epic flame wars start on the subject of smoking.
Might be best not to start that again.

SurlySeraph
2009-03-23, 03:18 PM
Silly. Disturbing, and adds to the ever-mounting pile of evidence that our civilization's decadence must be purged in fire, but silly nontheless.

Mr. Moon
2009-03-23, 03:19 PM
What the...
That's just...
What?

Honestly.
Kids these days.
Wasting perfectly good Smarties.

What got me is the kid talking about how "hard core" this stuff is.
Dewd. It's candy.
That's the least hard core thing I can think of.

Madmal
2009-03-23, 03:37 PM
this reminds me of my late days of high school, when i notice one of the stores down at the elementary school area sold chocolate in the shape of cigarretes, even with the bok looking like it.

I spend the rest of the day, going around the teachers lounge, dividing the fools that A) thought i was actually smoking, B) wondered why i didn't had it lighted, C) weren't fools at all and figured out i was just trying to mess with their minds (the minority) D) were surprised that i actually smoke, E) asked me for one and F) threatened me to call a teacher.

someone actually called the teacher in charge of my classroom. good inside laughs for me. :smallbiggrin:

rankrath
2009-03-23, 03:46 PM
I'd actually say the people that are freaking out over this are the ones who need to get smarter, and remember two basic facts of childhood.

1: Taboo/dangerous = fun, especially for kids. When our health classes vilify and degrade drugs, casting them as the type of substance that will destroy your life if you touch it even once, all they're really doing is making it more likely that kids will use it. If we want to stop kids from drinking/smoking/whatever, well, we can't. The best we can do is tell them the truth. "If you want to smoke, drink, use drugs, go ahead. Just do it responsibly. Don't get killed, and don't kill anyone else."

2: Kids are stupid, and do weird things. This is one of them. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing to write home about.

Elm11
2009-03-23, 03:58 PM
Uhhhhh... wow. People can be kind of stupid.

BUT, that's the only opinion i'm expressing here (concerning smoking).
While this is a good enough topic, Jibar is right. This is a recipe for a flame war. Bye :smallsmile:.

*leaves thread*

TheBST
2009-03-23, 04:00 PM
How many smokers think that exhaling toxic smokes looks cool?

Me, Bill Hicks, Miles Davis, Freud, Einstein, Tolkien, Hubble, Orwell, Groucho Marx, Frank Zappa, Johnny Cash, Sinatra, Hitchcock, Picasso and Popeye, apparently.

JOKE

My opinion is that this is another proof of how our society is losing its values and the kids and teenagers are clueless as to what to make of their lives

Don't be so reactionary. It's a silly thing to do but 'losing our values'? let's just think about that one for a minute.

Torchship
2009-03-23, 05:08 PM
My opinion is that this is another proof of how our society is losing its values and the kids and teenagers are clueless as to what to make of their lives. I mean, to me this is a quite stupid thing to do, even if it didn't have potential health risks (irritation and even getting maggots on your respiratory tract).

I welcome you to express your opinion on the subject.

While I do think this is a spectacularly stupid thing to do, I'm with TheBST when it comes to your rant here. What these kids are doing is no stupider than some of the things the previous generation undoubtedly did. Every generation complains that their kids are out of control and 'losing their values', and every generation conveniently forgets about the inadvisable stuff they did as kids. In 30 years, these kids will be fine, upstanding pillars of the community (I hate that phrase), busy bemoaning how unruly their kids are.

This is no symptom of some greater malady, it's just people being people.

Unless you count that as a malady.

EDIT: This sounds a great deal more counter-rant-y than it was intended to be.

Leper_Kahn
2009-03-23, 05:18 PM
Honestly... Kids these days...

Next thing you know they'll start holding hands in public and wearing clothes above the knee.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-23, 05:43 PM
Apparently I'm in the minority, as I just think this is hilarious and ridiculous. Kids do idiotic things all the time. This doesn't strike me as much stupider than dying your hair green or seeing who can chug the most Yoohoo at lunch (the latter of which is actually probably a worse idea).

As far as smoking looking cool, have you guys seriously never seen a movie where someone looked awesome or badass while smoking? Never? Now, of course, any fourteen year old snorting Smarties dust out of his nose will NEVER look even remotely cool, but to say that one has no idea how anyone can ever view smoking as cool is another matter.

Of course, smoking is still very dumb, dangerous to your health, and all that. I'd never do it. It's gross and expensive. However, this story just amuses me rather than worries me.

Jack Squat
2009-03-23, 05:59 PM
I don't see a problem with what the kids are doing...I've done things for stupider reasons than that.

But getting detention because of carrying candy? At my High School, I saw everything from knives to tobacco to crowbars in the hallway. I can't begin to understand how parents aren't in an uproar about this.

Anuan
2009-03-23, 05:59 PM
To start; kids are idiots. PEOPLE in general are idiots, kids even more so. DERPDERPDERP SMOKING DERPDERPDERP DRUGS. Just...Just stop. Stop being an idiot. Please.
Second;

Cigarette smoke makes me hurl.

That is all. :smalltongue:

Going to have to tell a story here, just to see how much it grosses out poor li'l DeeRee. Sorry in advance, DR. :smallbiggrin:
My mother smokes. A lot. Before I moved out away from my less-than-desirable family's presence, I used to have to go on an 8-hour drive every few months, or at least once every year, at christmas, with my mother driving. The one that smokes a lot. In the car. Bearing in mind that I lived, at the time, in outback Queensland, where Christmas hits about 45 celcius quite often, and along with my mother and I was my obese brother. Now, driving 8 hours with my mother smoking wasn't the worst part, nor was the heat, nor was the stopping for fast food (actually, that part wasn't so bad. Theres some good local take-outs in some towns we go through.).

Coming back was the worst part. This would be about four to five weeks later. Eight hour drive in the back seat of a car that smells of old cigarette smoke compounded into every porous surface in the car, heat, dirt, grease and the stale sweat of three people is a terrible, terrible thing. Especially if you get travel-sickness. Which I do.
I'm happy I fly when visiting my parents.

A Rainy Knight
2009-03-23, 06:07 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Reading this reminds me of something my cousins told me about: snorting pepper. Apparently, one of the kids at their school came up with the genius idea of laying pepper out in lines and inhaling it.

I have nothing further to add to this.

Knaight
2009-03-23, 06:13 PM
There seems to be over reaction all over. Sure, smoking smarties isn't particularly bright, if one tries to snort it out their nose, or breath into their lungs. But it seems pretty harmless to me. I hardly see this as todays youth being behind that of our parents and grandparents, even distant ancestors. Most of the movies encouraging smoking and the like came out a while ago.

Personally I hate cigarettes. I'm mildly anemic, and don't process oxygen well. The last thing I need is cigarette taint in the air making it harder to breath. I have grandparents who smoke, its disgusting, and can make it hard to breath, because second hand smoke that accumulates is enough to induce coughing. That and I've seen plasticized smoker lungs and the like. People today are probably more aware of the risks of smoking than other groups, and kids today probably smoke less.

Most of the people who ended up looking stupid in the article were the people trying to regulate this. Claiming that smoking smarties is going to lead to drug abuse is absurd, detention for possession of smarties is absurd(you can eat them without smoking them, so they aren't inherently harmful), and the concerned parents are being paranoid.

On the pepper. I was considering starting an internet rumor on snorting pepper. Chili pepper. Would have been entertaining.

Killersquid
2009-03-23, 06:16 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Reading this reminds me of something my cousins told me about: snorting pepper. Apparently, one of the kids at their school came up with the genius idea of laying pepper out in lines and inhaling it.

I have nothing further to add to this.

...Proof that we need cartoons.

Tensu
2009-03-23, 06:23 PM
Hey, if it keeps people from doing real drugs, I'm all for it.

I think you're not giving these kids enough credit. They clearly don't want to smoke. If they wanted to get ahold of real cigarettes, they could. They're clearly just having a little fun. We all have stuff we do that amuses us more than it logically should. Let these kids play with their candy.

Quincunx
2009-03-23, 06:38 PM
Blowing out particulates, even if it's (snicker) candy, has got to be easier than trying to make smoke rings just by exhaling in below-freezing temperatures, that's my opinion! Also I cling to the belief that somewhere, a pre-teen busted for "smoking" his candy is relaxing right now and his friends are agreeing, amiably, that adults are so stupid for thinking that was real smoking.

Also, note for British, Canadians, and some others: The "Smarties" here are compressed powdered sugar tablets, not candy-shelled chocolate. Same name, different product.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-23, 07:15 PM
I'm avoiding a guy who used to be my friend. He decided to snort sugar from the lunch line and it realy worried me.

:smalleek:

Collin152
2009-03-23, 07:28 PM
Hey, Kid! Wanna smoke some candy with me?! (http://www.homestarrunner.com/cheatcommandos4.html)

TwoBitWriter
2009-03-23, 08:00 PM
Perfect link, Collin. :smallbiggrin:

And I think smoking does look cool. I agree with Queenfange, it's not like it's an unpardonable sin here.

The measures being taken regarding the candy are ridiculous. Remember pogs? My elementary school eventually forbid the playing of pogs in the playground because apparently it promoted "gambling."

Stupid kids? I say stupid parents and teachers.

Killersquid
2009-03-23, 08:08 PM
Pfft, people are going to start blaming the companies. Who they should be blaming is me, because I had this idea in my head for years, and psychically planted it in every child's head with my super powers.

Felixaar
2009-03-23, 08:49 PM
I think the greatest crime here is the waisting of a precious resource :smallannoyed: Smarties.

And, yeah, these kids are idiots, and lightweights. If you're going to be so stupid as to look like you're smoking, might as well go the whole nine yards.

Also, I'm on the smokers are jokers side of the debate. Smoking? Not cool. I've told alot of friends who are smokers that because they are, they're simply not cool, and until they quit, nothing can reverse that.

zeratul
2009-03-23, 09:00 PM
I just don't get it, why don't they just actually smoke cigarettes or pot or something? I mean inhaling any kind of smoke is bad for you even if it's smarties so if your gonna do it might as well smoke something with an actual affect right? And though I don't smoke (just a friend of several smokers and potheads and such) I must say that at least with certain people smoking does in fact look very cool. Slash would me a good example of this, smoking whilst playing guitar = cool.

wojonatior
2009-03-23, 09:26 PM
Believe me there is a lot more of this stupid crap that happens at the schools that doesn't even reach press. 90% of of the stuff is caused by the general stupidity level of the students.

My friend found a Senior who did not know where America, Europe, or Africa is on a map. Nor did they know that they were that big on a map.

And seriously?

Some have even started snorting it.
Kids have been daring each other to snort pixie stix for like years. And it happens because of stupid little dares.

DraPrime
2009-03-23, 10:05 PM
Children, just get some real cigarettes. It's not really that hard.

Mauve Shirt
2009-03-23, 10:05 PM
This kind of stuff happened when I was in elementary/middle school. Snorting pixie sticks too. I didn't participate. Though chocolate/bubble gum cigarettes are tasty, and useful accessories for some outfits.

Rutskarn
2009-03-23, 10:33 PM

No, no, no.

Kids imitating stupid and dangerous behaviors in an attempt to fulfill societal definitions of coolness?

Like hell this is a new thing.

At least this isn't actually that dangerous.

Anuan
2009-03-23, 11:15 PM
As much as I think these kids are morons, I'mma have to agree with Rutskarn. In the fifties, seven year olds smoked. They didn't even HAVE age-limits then.

Not to say I havn't seen seven year olds and younger smoking...
Not just tobacco, either... :smallannoyed:

FdL
2009-03-23, 11:26 PM
Kids imitating stupid and dangerous behaviors in an attempt to fulfill societal definitions of coolness?

Like hell this is a new thing.

At least this isn't actually that dangerous.

You're right, this isn't new by itself.

Even if harmless, what I see here is that many of those kids will be smokers in no time for the exact same reasons they do that.

And I do think that the media and advertising could have an influence on this whole thing. Though for what I know advertisment of cigarrettes is pretty restricted in the US, no?

Rutskarn
2009-03-23, 11:27 PM
Pretty much.

The glamorization of smoking is just about the only advertisement of cigs allowed out here...and there are groups looking to restrict even that, lobbying to give any film that portrays smoking in a non-historical, casual fashion an "R" rating.

thubby
2009-03-23, 11:28 PM
did anyone else catch the comment about mentos' being abused with the whole diet coke craze?

smarties, because compared to the people who huff them, they just are!

i would put this on the same level as taking scopes in shooters to the female character's chest.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-23, 11:38 PM

I like the smell, hate the smoke
>>

Em Blackleaf
2009-03-24, 12:10 AM
*Achoo* Sorry, I'm allergic to stupid children.
Middle school students? Aren't they a little young to be stupid teenagers?
I just think it's lame. Kids trying to look cool by blowing candy dust out of their mouths? Go do something productive.

I wouldn't find that cool or in any way amusing. It's just a waste of candy.
I, personally, would rather eat my Smarties, like a normal person.

I don't like drugs at all, and I don't think they make anyone look cool.
It's like saying, "Hey, I have no will power over the drug I'm addicted to, I'm a loser, and I will be an unpleasant person when I don't get my fix. But I still look cool right?"

Seffbasilisk
2009-03-24, 12:13 AM
Waste of good Smarties.

Anyone else notice the doctor's warning of maggots in the nose?

The Neoclassic
2009-03-24, 12:18 AM

Yeah, well, no disagreement there. Smarties are delicious. Any noneating use for tasty food is a waste.

It's like saying, "Hey, I have no will power over the drug I'm addicted to, I'm a loser, and I will be an unpleasant person when I don't get my fix. But I still look cool right?"

Yeah, but that's not why people think they look cool. It's not about the mindset or chemical effects, but rather the... just the visual. I can't explain it too well, but I have seen shots in movies where someone smoking looked awesome. And, again, it only looks cool for a few people in the movies in a few situation. The vast majority of people look ridiculous smoking (plus they have to deal with the realities of addiction), and if they think they're doing it because they will look cool doing it, they're just fooling themselves.

Waste of good Smarties.

Exactly.

Anyone else notice the doctor's warning of maggots in the nose?

Yeah, and it freaked me out! Can that actually happen? Has that ever seriously happened? Wouldn't that require having flies going up your nose and... *Shudders*

TheBST
2009-03-24, 12:48 AM
I just think it's lame. Kids trying to look cool by blowing candy dust out of their mouths? Go do something productive.

I think we can forgive children for being unwise. Life's a learning curve.

"Hey, I have no will power over the drug I'm addicted to, I'm a loser, and I will be an unpleasant person when I don't get my fix. But I still look cool right?"

Well if we include alll drugs in that statement, including alcohol and narcotics, then I'm going to have to extend my above list of 'losers' to include well, nearly everyone bar Ian McKaye. Smoking has no bearing on your worth as a person. To assume it does seems to be snobbery with a unmerited sense of self-superiority.

Alarra
2009-03-24, 01:08 AM
I don't understand why they would have to go through the trouble of snorting smarties....don't they still make candy cigarettes? that actually could make 'smoke' if you pretended to smoke it and didn't actually involve putting candy up your nose? Cause we so had those when I was a kid.

Granted, I think smoking is dumb and an icky habit that I wish every member of my family would give up....Candy cigarettes were kinda cool back then though.

BRC
2009-03-24, 01:15 AM
While the concept is stupid, this article means that even more kids will try it..

I fear for the future.

Trog
2009-03-24, 01:21 AM
I don't understand why they would have to go through the trouble of snorting smarties....don't they still make candy cigarettes? that actually could make 'smoke' if you pretended to smoke it and didn't actually involve putting candy up your nose? Cause we so had those when I was a kid.

Granted, I think smoking is dumb and an icky habit that I wish every member of my family would give up....Candy cigarettes were kinda cool back then though.

No. They no longer make candy cigarettes. Or Bubble gum cigars. Or if they do the vast majority of stores no longer carry them. Because smoking is bad, remember?

<.< er... wait.... I mean... er... Trog means... um... >.>

*puffpuffpuff* Carcinogentastic. :smalltongue:

Raging Gene Ray
2009-03-24, 01:37 AM
I really don't see the big deal. They're just kids and - wait, 18 YEARS OLD!?! 14 years old...Eighth Grade? I was expecting this to be a trend for eight year olds when I read it.

thubby
2009-03-24, 03:51 AM
No. They no longer make candy cigarettes. Or Bubble gum cigars. Or if they do the vast majority of stores no longer carry them. Because smoking is bad, remember?

<.< er... wait.... I mean... er... Trog means... um... >.>

*puffpuffpuff* Carcinogentastic. :smalltongue:

they are a pain to find, but they're out there. i buy them in bulk when i find them, and my sister somehow comes home with a pack every halloween.

Tensu
2009-03-24, 10:10 AM
Everyone needs to stop being judgmental.

Yes, they could have gotten real cigarettes, but they didn't, so no,they're not going to start smoking because of this anymore than I'm going to start smoking for exhaling on a cold day.

And maggots in the nose? I doubt that. The kids are inhaling them in the mouth, and even if some accidentally got in the windpipe the powder would probably just be exhaled back out. Plus the crushing will most likely destroy any maggot eggs.

And haven't you even done something silly for the heck of it? I'm sure everyone here has had some crazy idea that amused them much more than it should have, like the time my best friend and I converted my old wagon into a working catapult. Boredom is a tenacious foe and we've all taken extreme measures to combat it.

So does smoking make one look cool? I'd say it depends largely on the person, and how long they've been smoking. smoking is a short-term gain for long term damage kind of thing. That said, I don't condone the use of smoking because even if it makes you look cool it also makes you look like an idiot and smell unbearable.

These kids are in no way exercising poor judgement save underestimating the stupidity of nearby adults. There is nothing wrong with what they're doing and it in no way displays a lack of intelligence.

calling people idiots for trying to have a little fun, however...

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-24, 10:14 AM
And maggots in the nose? I doubt that. The kids are inhaling them in the mouth, and even if some accidentally got in the windpipe the powder would probably just be exhaled back out. Plus the crushing will most likely destroy any maggot eggs.

I think that, if they exhaled through the nose, and if enough of the powder remained behind, then maybe if say, one was asleep and a deep enough sleeper to not notice that a fly (for whatever reason) had crawled up your nose to lay eggs, then perhaps it could happen.

As it stands, though, scaremongering in order to make what would usually be a back-page story (if even that) interesting.

they are a pain to find, but they're out there. i buy them in bulk when i find them, and my sister somehow comes home with a pack every halloween.

Yeah, I still see them around from time to time too. Bubblegum cigars more than candy cigs, though.

Quincunx
2009-03-24, 11:22 AM
Flies eat wet sugar. Maggots eat, and flies lay their eggs on, dead flesh.

Tensu
2009-03-24, 01:50 PM
But it's not like we stop breathing when we sleep. The breaths of the nose would scare the fly away or prevent it from getting in. And even then we have mucus, which exists for the sole purpose of keeping things from laying eggs in our noses.

the fly thing is indeed a load, as is most of the controversy over this.

zeratul
2009-03-24, 03:21 PM
Children, just get some real cigarettes. It's not really that hard.

Yeah really, they're slackers is what they are, don't have the drive to go out and find real cigarettes :smalltongue:

Tensu
2009-03-24, 03:33 PM
Yeah really, they're slackers is what they are, don't have the drive to go out and find real cigarettes :smalltongue:

Or they're too smart to go out for real cigarettes:smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-03-24, 03:48 PM

Kids these days are so lazy. When I was young, you put all your effort into coughing and dying! None of this silly candy stuff.

Warpfire
2009-03-24, 03:54 PM
I don't know what's more entertaining: the stupidity of smoking smarties, or the overreactions to it.

Anyway, kids aren't stupid. Everyone does stupid things, adults just have less people to call them on it.

BizzaroStormy
2009-03-24, 03:59 PM
See, this is why we need to stop putting warning labels on products and ban the resulting lawsuits. We need to let natural selection take it's course.

I say to let people smoke tobacco, candy, cheese, whatever. If the stupid kill themselves off in the process it can only make humanity better as a whole.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-24, 04:02 PM

I wouldn't find that cool or in any way amusing. It's just a waste of candy.

Indeed Em, they do not make you look cool.
But most actual regular drugs users and smokers that I know(and I know some) don't do it because they want to look cool. They do it for the feeling they get then.
Now the wannabes do it for looking cool and wanting to be respected or something. Dunno, never was a wannabe, ain't a wannabe and never gonna be a wannabe. Ditto that for drugs and smoking.

Is it stupid? Yes.
Is it new? No.

I dunno if I'm getting old, but back when I was that old, we used chocolate sigarettes.

Am I really getting that old?:smallsigh:

Delaney Gale
2009-03-24, 04:10 PM
In my opinion, people aren't getting dumber, the media just likes reporting on it more.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Attributed to Socrates by Plato... evidently the more things change, the more they stay the same :)

As for actual smoking? If you're of legal age to do so, it's my opinion that you can make the calculated decision to take on a health risk for a sensation you find pleasurable. Just like with sex and alcohol. Hence why I'm known to enjoy the occasional hookah when it's offered (a grand total of once in the past year). I just know that I won't take up cigarettes because 1. they get expensive and 2. I don't like smoking them enough for them to weigh out the health consequences. Other people might think differently, but hey, we're all going to die of something...

zeratul
2009-03-24, 04:26 PM
1. they get expensive

Yeah that aside from the whole death thing is the main reason I wont get into smoking. I have too many other things that I want to buy to have that expensive of a habit haha.

Bayar
2009-03-24, 04:26 PM
Great. Another thing I'll add to the "Things I'll probably do because I like to do retarded stuff" list.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-03-24, 05:20 PM
Man, no-one else smokes smartie dust? It's cool, and makes people look up to you and respect you.

Tensu
2009-03-24, 08:46 PM
If you're of legal age to do so, it's my opinion that you can make the calculated decision to take on a health risk for a sensation you find pleasurable. Just like with sex

Hold it!

Humanity is breeding itself into extinction. All of our problems can find their root in our acceptance of sex. nobody should be having sex right now.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-24, 08:49 PM
Nobody? :smallconfused:

Collin152
2009-03-24, 08:50 PM
Nobody? :smallconfused:

Yes. Nobody should be having sex right now, but he isn't. You know why? He has a job. He contributes to society.

Jack Squat
2009-03-24, 09:03 PM
Yes. Nobody should be having sex right now, but he isn't. You know why? He has a job. He contributes to society.

I feel like I'm missing a reference to something. That sounds familiar, but I don't know where it's from.

DraPrime
2009-03-24, 09:35 PM
Yeah that aside from the whole death thing is the main reason I wont get into smoking. I have too many other things that I want to buy to have that expensive of a habit haha.

You could just grind up all those metal albums you buy into a fine powder and smoke them. That way, you get to smoke and get music. And really, the high that you will get from Blind Guardian will be so amazing that your brain will melt and leak out your ears.

TheBST
2009-03-24, 09:50 PM
Humanity is breeding itself into extinction. All of our problems can find their root in our acceptance of sex. nobody should be having sex right now.

More proof that contraception is mankind's greatest invention after the wheel and the stratocaster.

Collin152
2009-03-24, 10:29 PM
More proof that contraception is mankind's greatest invention after the wheel and the stratocaster.

Feh, I don't see it being useful in my life.
Much like the wheel.

BizzaroStormy
2009-03-24, 10:55 PM

Actually, the reason Nobody doesn't get any is because he's a wuss and spends all his time at work. If he were setting an example for the rest of humanity, we would be a massively efficient, peaceful society that is extremely drab and will die out in roughly 60 years.

TheSummoner
2009-03-25, 01:17 AM
Well, the article says it happened in america, so the following will be from a completly "This is whats wrong with this country" perspective.

America has become a country where it is not only acceptable to act completly stupid, but it is often encouraged. Spill some coffee on your lap? Lets sue because the cup didn't say caution: hot. Nevermind that you can feel the warmth through the cup against your hand, it wasn't literally spelled out for you. It greatly saddens me that America will accept anything these days. Atleast in my eyes, theres such a thing as "too stupid to live" but thats not "politically correct." Because behavior like that is considered acceptable, a good portion of the people in this country are whiny lumps of human garbage.

If it were up to me, I'd smack the little bastards upside the head and tell them when they start choking on the stuff that no one will be allowed to help them as they die from their own idiocy. [whiny idiot voice]But thats not politically correct.[/whiny idiot voice]

I suppose all of the human garbage out there is why I consider myself a social darwinist... if you can't make it, you don't deserve to make it. If maggots begin feasting on the inside of your nose because your dumb ass blew powdered sugar out of it, then the maggots deserve it more than you do.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-25, 01:28 AM
Spill some coffee on your lap? Lets sue because the cup didn't say caution: hot.

Would you expect third degree burns from spilling coffee on yourself? Or if you had tens of thousands in medical bills because the coffee was far hotter than anything homebrewed would you brush it off as "Wow, I was silly!"?

Because behavior like that is considered acceptable, a good portion of the people in this country are whiny lumps of human garbage.

You picked a really terrible example for your position, and it is worded in an aggressive rather than constructive or honest way.

If it were up to me, I'd smack the little bastards upside the head and tell them when they start choking on the stuff that no one will be allowed to help them as they die from their own idiocy.

Do you really think kids will die from inhaling smarties dust for a few days?

I suppose all of the human garbage out there is why I consider myself a social darwinist... if you can't make it, you don't deserve to make it. If maggots begin feasting on the inside of your nose because your dumb ass blew powdered sugar out of it, then the maggots deserve it more than you do.

The maggots thing is nonsense. I personally detest people who lack personal responsibility, but your examples are hardly relevent to that problem and your wording is inflammatory rather than addressing the actual issue (which may be political anyway so I won't go into my take on it).

Seriously. If kids inhaling smarties dust is enough to make you flip out, you may reconsider whom you call overly sensitive. :smallannoyed:

TheSummoner
2009-03-25, 01:40 AM
Would you expect third degree burns from spilling coffee on yourself? Or if you had tens of thousands in medical bills because the coffee was far hotter than anything homebrewed would you brush it off as "Wow, I was silly!"?

Jebus, here comes another 30 page debate - -.

Why was the coffee in her lap instead of say... the cup holder? How is it McDonalds's responsibility that she spilled it? Perhaps most importantly, how would a single line of text on the cup have changed the outcome of what happened? Do you really think that happened because the woman didn't realize the coffee was hot?

You picked a really terrible example for your position, and it is worded in an aggressive rather than constructive or honest way.

I picked a well known example and worded it in a way that reflects my feelings on the matter.

Do you really think kids will die from inhaling smarties dust for a few days?

Of course not, thats just silly. I do, see such behavior as an example of idiocy being acceptable, boardering on being encouraged (because its cool to pretend to be addicted!)

The maggots thing is nonsense. I personally detest people who lack personal responsibility, but your examples are hardly relevent to that problem and your wording is inflammatory rather than addressing the actual issue (which may be political anyway so I won't go into my take on it).

Maggots were in the article, so I mentioned maggots. I'm no scientist, so I don't know how it would happen. We both realize its not likely, but if it happens, I have no pity. People deserve the consequences of their own stupidity.

Seriously. If kids inhaling smarties dust is enough to make you flip out, you may reconsider whom you call overly sensitive. :smallannoyed:

I'm not flipping out at all. I see the people as human garbage, no one in their right mind flips out if a piece of garbage blows across their path... maybe when it smacks them in the face and they're covered with cold, dripping dumpster juice, but thats another story ^_^.

Ascension
2009-03-25, 01:42 AM
I've only skimmed the first and last page, but in the face of the absurdity of this entire concept I simply must ask, what if it's a hoax? I mean, mainstream media also reported that jenkem (http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/jenkem.asp) was widespread. I'm linking the Snopes page due to work-safeness, but if you dispute its accuracy the Encyclopedia Dramatica article on the alleged substance is arguably more informative.

What I'm saying is that the kids interviewed could be trolling the media. Heck, has this popped up on /b/? If it has, they're probably Anons trying to force this into infamy. Is there any substantial proof that this is actually occurring on anything like a widespread basis?

TheSummoner
2009-03-25, 01:45 AM
I've only skimmed the first and last page, but in the face of the absurdity of this entire concept I simply must ask, what if it's a hoax? I mean, mainstream media also reported that jenkem (http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/jenkem.asp) was widespread. I'm linking the Snopes page due to work-safeness, but if you dispute its accuracy the Encyclopedia Dramatica article on the alleged substance is arguably more informative.

What I'm saying is that the kids interviewed could be trolling the media. Heck, has this popped up on /b/? If it has, they're probably Anons trying to force this into infamy. Is there any substantial proof that this is actually occurring on anything like a widespread basis?

It could very well be a hoax, but why ruin a perfectly good chance to bash on the stupid?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-25, 01:52 AM
Well, the article says it happened in america, so the following will be from a completly "This is whats wrong with this country" perspective.

America has become a country where it is not only acceptable to act completly stupid, but it is often encouraged. Spill some coffee on your lap? Lets sue because the cup didn't say caution: hot. Nevermind that you can feel the warmth through the cup against your hand, it wasn't literally spelled out for you. It greatly saddens me that America will accept anything these days. Atleast in my eyes, theres such a thing as "too stupid to live" but thats not "politically correct." Because behavior like that is considered acceptable, a good portion of the people in this country are whiny lumps of human garbage.

If it were up to me, I'd smack the little bastards upside the head and tell them when they start choking on the stuff that no one will be allowed to help them as they die from their own idiocy. [whiny idiot voice]But thats not politically correct.[/whiny idiot voice]

Guess what, sweetheart?
Its not just America. You can find kids doing stupid crap all across the world.

wadledo
2009-03-25, 01:53 AM
Guess what, sweetheart?

Those crazy Belgians and their craziness.:smallbiggrin:

TheSummoner
2009-03-25, 01:54 AM
I never said the rest of the world was any better. I just didn't have any firsthand experience and didn't want to make assumptions.

Ascension
2009-03-25, 01:56 AM
It could very well be a hoax, but why ruin a perfectly good chance to bash on the stupid?

If the stupid is fake there's no stupid to bash... well, other than the stupid of the media buying the stupid hoax.

Sloppy reporting bugs me. I feel like I can hardly trust any news these days.

Tensu
2009-03-25, 02:01 AM
Oh for the love of...

Look people, exhaling smarty powder in no way signifies a lack of intelligence. What signifies a lack of intelligence is calling people stupid for exhaling smartie powder. I doubt pretending to be addicted was forefront on their minds. They where in all likelyhood just messing around. I'd also point out that cool is in the eye of the beholder, and just because you think something doesn't look cool doesn't mean someone else doesn't. If you ask me, the only reason smoking is uncool is that it symbolizes a lack of two things: realization of the long-term damage you'll inevitably do to yourself and those who care about you, and the lack of respect to other people you display by blowing smoke into their faces. this effectivly removes both problems. Does that make it cool? I wouldn't think so, but they have little to no risk of harming themselves in any way.

Coidzor
2009-03-25, 02:50 AM
This is why we need goblins. So we have bloody little savages that our children have to fight off and outsmart in order to survive to become us. And they'll never have too much time on their hands ever again. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2009-03-25, 06:07 AM
If the stupid is fake there's no stupid to bash... well, other than the stupid of the media buying the stupid hoax.

Sloppy reporting bugs me. I feel like I can hardly trust any news these days.

you can throw it in the youtube search and get plenty of demonstrations.
i doubt it's any kind of epidemic sweeping the nation.

GoC
2009-03-25, 06:16 AM
Not to say I havn't seen seven year olds and younger smoking...
Not just tobacco, either... :smallannoyed:

I saw a few sniffing glue!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-25, 08:49 AM
If maggots begin feasting on the inside of your nose because your dumb ass blew powdered sugar out of it, then the maggots deserve it more than you do.
Actually maggots just eat dead tissue, not live.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-25, 09:14 AM
Why was the coffee in her lap instead of say... the cup holder? How is it McDonalds's responsibility that she spilled it? Perhaps most importantly, how would a single line of text on the cup have changed the outcome of what happened? Do you really think that happened because the woman didn't realize the coffee was hot?

No, I think she was aware that the coffee was hot. However, when we purchase things, we have some reasonable assumptions about how they will behave. If people expected third degree burns to be a usual consequence of coffee splashing, then they would be far more careful. The "Hot" label was only part of it (Silly, yes, but I don't ever remember her suing because she wasn't aware it'd be hot, just not third-degree-burn-hot)- McDonald's lowered the temperature of the coffee it sold, which was the actual issue.

It isn't McDonald's fault that she spilled it, but it is their fault for selling a product which could cause such severe harm to a person during a very common mishap. If she'd been bathing her pet cat in coffee and something went wrong, that'd be an entirely bizarre situation and McDonald's shouldn't be held responsible. However, McDonald's is well aware that people occasionally, for any number of reasons, will accidentally splash coffee on themselves. I've spilled drinks. I reasonably expect a discomfort or mild burn from my experiences with spilling drinks. If I picked up something that looked to be a usual hot beverage and spilling it caused third degree burns, I shouldn't be surprised?

I picked a well known example and worded it in a way that reflects my feelings on the matter.

Yes, but it’s not a very accurate example for the reasons I’ve explained Even if you think she shouldn’t have gotten the money, I think that calling someone “too stupid to live” is absolutely ridiculous simply because they had a common mishap with a beverage and got a very unusually destructive result which could not have reasonably been expected from the product, and then asked the company for enough money to cover their medical bills (which was all the woman originally sought- she didn’t take it straight to court or ask for all the millions extra that the jury tried to reward her). It’s possible to express very strong opinions in a way that isn’t blatantly insulting or apparently designed to be inflammatory.

Of course not, thats just silly. I do, see such behavior as an example of idiocy being acceptable, boardering on being encouraged (because its cool to pretend to be addicted!)

The coolness has nothing to do with the addictiveness, as others have stated. Please explain what is “idiotic” about this other than

Maggots were in the article, so I mentioned maggots. I'm no scientist, so I don't know how it would happen. We both realize its not likely, but if it happens, I have no pity. People deserve the consequences of their own stupidity.

I’m not a scientist either, but I have common sense and to me, it seems ridiculously unlikely that this would cause the alleged result. You seem to think that anything that happens to a person from an action should be assumed as likely and therefore they deserve no pity for it. It’s like, if I walk down the street in the middle of the day in a decent part of town and get mugged, I should be laughed at for being silly enough to let that happen to me. I know it’s physically possible, but reasonably it’s very unlikely. What if you get maggots in your nose because one time you laughed and soda squirted out your nose (leading to the same amount of sugary substance in your nostrils as the smarties would cause)? Should we point and laugh at you?

Also, you’ve yet to explain why snorting smarties is stupid. You’ve explained why you wouldn’t enjoy it or why it’s ridiculous, but stupid usually involves something which is likely to harm one’s self or others. This seems very unlikely in this circumstance. How is this “idiotic” (apparently close to “too stupid to live”)? What differentiates this from wearing an orange hunting hat for giggles or drinking a virgin pina colada?

I'm not flipping out at all. I see the people as human garbage, no one in their right mind flips out if a piece of garbage blows across their path... maybe when it smacks them in the face and they're covered with cold, dripping dumpster juice, but thats another story ^_^.

I still think that calling anyone who makes any mistake or does anything silly “too stupid to live” is overreacting a little bit. Accusing anyone who defends any such person as basically a politically correct wuss isn’t at all flipping out? Human garbage is a term for murderers, not for any person who has ever at one time: Drank alcohol, smoked cigarettes, snorted smarties, spilled coffee, driven above the speed limit, or any other potentially dangerous activity. It’s very easy to make claims about other people being garbage, but you still have yet to provide any strong support- namely how they are actually causing serious harm to others or society. There are some people who have caused such serious harm, but you’ve been very far from addressing those people.

Exactly. If you don’t think that how real the story is impacts your reaction, then essentially saying that you just enjoy talking about how idiotic people are rather than actually caring about the validity of those claims.

Look people, exhaling smarty powder in no way signifies a lack of intelligence.

Unless anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I am inclined to agree.

They where in all likelyhood just messing around. I'd also point out that cool is in the eye of the beholder, and just because you think something doesn't look cool doesn't mean someone else doesn't.

You’re entirely entitled to think other people look ridiculous, but that doesn’t mean that you are objectively right and they must therefore be an idiot. I still have a friend who apparently doesn’t understand that different people have different preferences. If he doesn’t enjoy something, he thinks that it’s “dumb” and criticizes people who do it. This is like saying that because I enjoy carrots and you don’t, I must be an idiot for eating them.

I wouldn't think so, but they have little to no risk of harming themselves in any way.

Apart from alleged maggots in the nose, which is only a step or two step more likely than space aliens abducting. To be blunt, I’d look up whether this is actually a possibility, but maggots are gross and I’d rather not peruse the internet for information on them.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-25, 09:33 AM
Apart from alleged maggots in the nose, which is only a step or two step more likely than space aliens abducting. To be blunt, I’d look up whether this is actually a possibility, but maggots are gross and I’d rather not peruse the internet for information on them.

You'd need enough powder in your nose to attract the fly, to not notice that there's a fly in your nose, and as Quincunx pointed out, dead flesh for the fly to want to lay its eggs. The possibility is so low as to be completely laughable.

Also wanted to point out, since she seems to come up so often, the MacDonald's woman was burned badly enough to need skin grafts and was originally only suing for payment of her medical bills. She was awarded the extra money in the decision.

chiasaur11
2009-03-25, 01:13 PM
Man, I was hoping this would be more impressively dumb.

I mean, it's true. If you do it right, smoking looks awesome. Just check out old Bogart films, Hellblazer comics, and a good deal of other material featuring major characters who smoke. If they're just trying to look cool without the health risks (in an admitedly moronic way) well, live and let live.

Now, if you'll excuse me, "Ow, My Balls!" is coming on.

GoC
2009-03-25, 01:19 PM
I can understand fireworks, building-climbing, home-made catapults and computer viruses, but smoking smarties? That's not even cool.:smallconfused:

zeratul
2009-03-25, 01:46 PM
Guess what, sweetheart?

Yeah seriously, kids all over the world have been doing stupid stuff for multiple millenniums. I've heard of various kids smoking smarties or koolaid powder in elementary school, and sure it's stupid but it;s not like they're going to die from it, just one of the newer developments in the list of stupid things kids might do. People who are outraged by this article or think it's some huge sign of the awful state of society or something need to know that kids are young and lack a lot of knowledge and experience and such which they will hopefully gain later in life and therefor they will do stupid things, and it ain't gonna change so get over it.

Jalor
2009-03-28, 06:29 AM
Supposedly there's this new trend among kids where they buy Smarties candies and grind them, then inhale the dust to later exhale the resulting "smoke" to make it look like they're smoking tobacco.

Hey, Kid! Wanna smoke some candy with me?! (http://www.homestarrunner.com/cheatcommandos4.html)

This is awesome. Sigged.