PDA

View Full Version : The DSi thread.

Oregano
2009-03-23, 03:21 PM
With the DSi's release just a few weeks away(less than two actually), I thought I'd make a thread about the new iteration of the top selling handheld.

The DSi has a lot of cool new features that admittedly aren't for everyone but look to be both fun and useful:

Two VGA cameras(0.3 Megapixels); Not much but more resolution than is needed for the DSi screen.
A unique photo editor for playing with photos on the move, including face recognition technology.
The two screens on the DSi are now 3.25 inches compared to the Lites 3 inches; Nice for those who wanted a better view.
AAC Music playback with built in playlists and Nintendo themed visualisers.
Sound recording and editing tools; they're only simple but are just meant for fun.
Enhanced hardware with a suspected(not been confirmed) 133mHz processor and 16mb of RAM as opposed to a 64mHz preocessor and 4mb of RAM.
258 MB of internal flash memory as well as SD and SD-HC support for expanded storage.
An enhanced interface akin to the Wii channels format.
Soft reset of all DS games to the main interface as well as hotswapping of cards.
Ability to change brightness at any time by holding select and using the volume control.
Internet features such as downloadable games, apps(including a free animation kit and a browser).
Lighter and thinner than the DS Lite with a longer stylus for ease of use.

There's only a few downsides to the DSi really, a bit less battery life than the DS Lite but still more than the original model and lack of GBA backwards compatibility although there is a rumour that GB and GBA games will be available in the DSiware store. Here's hoping Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal are available.

I've had a pre-order for one since February and I can't wait for it, so who else is interested/excited about the new model of the DS with significantly enhanced multimedia capabilities? It's available from April 2nd in Australia and New Zealand, April 3rd in Europe and April 5th in North America. It's Ł150 in the UK but prices vary from region to region.

Off Topic: May be I should get a job advertising for Nintendo?:smalltongue:

Crispy Dave
2009-03-23, 04:25 PM
IF I buy another DS it would be a DSi. I really do want one but I really want lots of things right now. All the options are very cool and if I see one at a discount and I have the money it would take a low will roll for me not to buy one.

also a question. does it support video playback? if so any idea what formts?

Oregano
2009-03-23, 04:34 PM
IF I buy another DS it would be a DSi. I really do want one but I really want lots of things right now. All the options are very cool and if I see one at a discount and I have the money it would take a low will roll for me not to buy one.

also a question. does it support video playback? if so any idea what formts?

Some retailers are doing a trade in a Lite get the DSi half price trade in but I don't think that's much help to you?

It does not have video support but I think if a lot of consumers ask for it it could come in a firmware update or as a downloadable app. That's the thing I'm most excited about with the DSi, it has room to expand.

Crispy Dave
2009-03-23, 04:39 PM
Some retailers are doing a trade in a Lite get the DSi half price trade in but I don't think that's much help to you?

It does not have video support but I think if a lot of consumers ask for it it could come in a firmware update or as a downloadable app. That's the thing I'm most excited about with the DSi, it has room to expand.

ahh that makes it less appealing. I didn't read the article but somewhere I saw something about an app making stem similar to the apple touch screen things. You know anything about this?

and yes as you mentioned you should be in advertising for Nintendo so I will ask you questions like you do:smallwink:

by deal I mean if amazon has a sale or I see one on craigslist for cheap.

Oregano
2009-03-23, 04:49 PM
EDIT: Misinterpretted your question. Here's my only answer; I'm not completely sure about the ease of making custom apps but with the SD card support it may be just a case of making them compatible.

Yes, there will be Apps like the ipod touch(and other smart phones) although as of now they're considerable more simple. The main two are the Moving Notepad and the browser, the browser's just a custom Opera browser. The moving notepad is an animation pad similar to Pictochat in style which allows users to draw their own animations, save them and there is also plans for uploading to the internet(as well as with the photos). The browser and Moving Notepad are both free at launch.

Some current ideas that have been mentioned by Nintendo are simple things like a Legend of Zelda calculator or a custom clock(although the DS's built in clock is still there). It is rumoured that Nintendo are actively encouraging developers to make apps as well as games and this weeks GDC could see some news on that front.

A good way to give Nintendo feedback is to join Club Nintendo and take part in the surveys offered. It's also a good way to get free merchandise or even Nintendo points to use for downloads.

Enlong
2009-03-24, 01:55 AM
This is why I will be upgrading to a DS Lite instead of a DSi when I replace my current DS.
The DSi has no GBA slot.
No GBA Slot means I can't take advantage of linked benefits from the GBA Slot.
This means that if I play Pokémon Diamond on the DSi, I will not be able to trade in from Sapphire, and therefore, cannot catch 'em all.
And that is just unacceptable.

DS Channels, downloadable demos, and music does not compare to my burning need to catch 'em all.

Dihan
2009-03-24, 05:10 AM
I'll probably try to get one for my birthday. I don't really play my GBA games much any more, and if I do get the urge to play one again I'll just play it on my Lite.

Oregano
2009-03-24, 10:35 AM
Exactly, same with me, I'm keeping my DS Phat and GBA SP.

The reason the GBA slot has been taken anyway is because of space limitation but more important durability as it's a very weak point.

Oh yes Enlong if you like Pokémon you may have to get the DSi as they've said they may take advantage of the DSi's unique features.

Hang on, wouldn't a red DSi look like the original Pokédex?

Crispy Dave
2009-03-24, 01:29 PM
Hang on, wouldn't a red DSi look like the original Pokédex?

I figured it out! Nintendo is planning on releasing genetically made pokemon into the world. And then they will have the monopoly on Pokeballs and pokedex's.

Ascension
2009-03-24, 02:25 PM
This is why I will be upgrading to a DS Lite instead of a DSi when I replace my current DS.
The DSi has no GBA slot.
No GBA Slot means I can't take advantage of linked benefits from the GBA Slot.
This means that if I play Pokémon Diamond on the DSi, I will not be able to trade in from Sapphire, and therefore, cannot catch 'em all.
And that is just unacceptable.

DS Channels, downloadable demos, and music does not compare to my burning need to catch 'em all.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Plus, Guitar Hero On Tour won't work without the GBA slot either. I was already annoyed enough that the standard DS (and Lite) won't play GBC games, knocking out GBA compatibility as well is almost a deal breaker.

I might feel differently if I still had my SP, but I lost it a while back and I can't stand playing GBA games without a backlight anymore.

That being said, I still might get a DSi. There's a complicated situation you don't need to hear me explain involving some funds that might be coming my way, and if I do get the cash it will be substantial enough to excuse the purchase of a DSi without trading in my ol' reliable. If I can have cake and eat it too I won't mind that the cake I'm eating is lacking one of the primary features of the cake I'm having... or something like that. I guess this metaphor doesn't really work. You get my meaning, though, I hope.

I will appreciate the upgrade, I'm sure, if I do upgrade. I never bothered to buy a Lite, but I have envied the brighter screen for some time, and ol' reliable's touch screen is starting to show wear despite all attempts to preserve it. Oh, and that new fangled stuff they added is pretty cool too, I guess. :smallwink:

Oregano
2009-03-24, 02:49 PM
Yer, I'd say don't trade if your older DS models for the DSi. That'd be foolish.

In other news the rumour that GB and GBA games being downloadable are still persisting and now it's been added that Sega are interested in rereleasing old Gamegear games. If true that's awesome.

Dublock
2009-03-24, 04:27 PM
I was just given my DS Lite a little while ago (my first one was stolen). So I don't know if I'll upgrade soon or not.

But a question I wonder, and it should be able to is this. If Nintendo does sell GBA games for the DSi, the DSi should be able to be connect to the DS games for the pokemon. It would be foolish if it isn't. Because I just bought Platinum and it would be a shame to alienate possible customers.

Oregano
2009-03-24, 05:07 PM
That would seem logical. It would be great if it did. I'm personally hoping that Nintendo will listen to feedback from their fans and update the DSi with the most requested features and stuff.

The rumours have apparently been confirmed but only for Japan. Apparently GB games will be 500 Nintendo points and GBA will be 800 Nintendo points. Unfortunately you can not play them off SD cards which means the 258mb flash drive will get full quick. Does anyone know how much memory a standard GBA game takes up?

Dihan
2009-03-24, 05:21 PM
I don't know about official cartridges, but the flash cartridges used for homebrew could be anything from 64 Mbit to 8 Gbit.

Oregano
2009-03-24, 05:58 PM
I don't know about official cartridges, but the flash cartridges used for homebrew could be anything from 64 Mbit to 8 Gbit.

They can hold tons of games thought right? because I've heard the biggest capacity DS cards that have been used are only 64mb but 128mb is possible(but it's slower).

Dihan
2009-03-24, 06:04 PM
A DS game has been released in Japan which is 2 gigabits, which is 256mb. So I guess that's the largest size.

Oregano
2009-03-24, 06:21 PM
A DS game has been released in Japan which is 2 gigabits, which is 256mb. So I guess that's the largest size.

Really? Did not know that. From what I'd previously read they said that 64mb was the most they had used because of slow down with bigger capacity cards, seems they sorted that out.

EDIT: I seem to be wrong, but the 64mb is the lowest capacity DS gamecard with 128 and 256 models also being available. I reckon the majority of GBA games would be smaller though?

EDIT2: Up to 32mb for GBA games, although I doubt many used that much and compression techniques are bound to have improved over the years so they may take even less space.

Geno9999
2009-03-24, 08:36 PM
I figured it out! Nintendo is planning on releasing genetically made pokemon into the world. And then they will have the monopoly on Pokeballs and pokedex's.

HOLY *BOOP* YOU'RE RIGHT! so this means that I better figure out were I can get a Pipulp. The swamp pokemon would be no problem for me, considering just what I'm sitting next to.

I'm thinking of getting one, but the lack of GBA slot is... a slight turn off for me. But then I can just use my brother's DS lite for all my Pokemon/Other GBA needs.

Dihan
2009-03-25, 04:49 AM
HOLY *BOOP* YOU'RE RIGHT! so this means that I better figure out were I can get a Pipulp. The swamp pokemon would be no problem for me, considering just what I'm sitting next to.

I'd probably start with a Mareep. They say you're never 10 feet away from a Rattata, well in Wales you'd never be 10 feet away from a Mareep! After that I'd get a Miltank and probably a Pidgey. Yay for boring animals!

Oregano
2009-03-25, 01:15 PM
I would probably have a Growlithe if anything.

Apparently the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is confirmed for the DSi but not the DS, but that may be a mistake.

Also with the Wii SD Card channel being released(solving storage problems for many users) it is believed that the DSi too will be able to use software from SD cards.

Should be confirmed soon.