PDA

View Full Version : Pain

Rowanomicon
2006-08-30, 04:04 AM
I'd like to create a PrC for a villain or maybe a supernatural ability for a monster that gives them the power to cause pain in others.
I don't really like the symbol of pain rules, especially as something to build a class off of.
Anyone know of other examples of pain in the rule books?
I'll post more on this as I come up with more.
RIght now I'm thinking about something that bestows -X on all rolls and deals X non-lethal damage

Fizban
2006-08-30, 05:03 AM
I'd suggest using the same penalties as sickened/nauseated, and tack on some non-lethal damage as that sounds nice. In the case of pain I think it's mostly just how you describe it. A spell that gives penalties could bestow them in any number of ways, depending on it's school, the actuall fluff/description given, and how you wish to describe it. For more pre-written stuff, try the ever despicable Book of Vile Deeds, full of all your torturing and maiming needs.

Rowanomicon
2006-08-30, 05:09 AM
Thanks. :) BoVD is definitelly on my wish list (as it has been for almost ever it seems).
Yes, my main concern is that players often don't care about pain for their characters because, well, it isn't real pain and if the DM says "It hurts." the player can so easily say "I fight through the pain and do this anyway." I want penalties that make the players fear in game pain as much as their characetrs would. Also ones that properly reflect one's loss of abilities when in pain.

BTW: Can anyone think of any rolls that would not be affected by pain? My only off-the-top-of-my-head thought is Fort, and maybe Con, not sure yet though.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-08-30, 05:36 AM
I've been thinking over pain rules, been planning on making a feat to overcome pain. Had no idea how to go about it though, something about a will save to overcome the feelings and resulting in being treated as having DR (amount you beat damage roll by w/ check) for that attack.