PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed this?

Sequinox
2009-03-23, 07:38 PM
V's home is on the western continent. I'm not sure if this means anything, but it seems interesting. What could this mean?

(Panel that shows the world) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html)

Gamiress
2009-03-23, 07:51 PM
Since V is currently on the Western Continent, it's possible that after the Splice ends and everything with his family is sorted out, he'll contact Durkon and tell them to bring the fleet to the elven homelands. Durkon can tell V about Haley's message, so they can find someone (Aarindarius? A Thieves' Guild member?) to teleport her, Roy and Belkar over as well.

Regardless of how it happens, I think the Order will be reunited on the Western Continent.

Lissou
2009-03-23, 10:34 PM
V's home is on the western continent. I'm not sure if this means anything, but it seems interesting. What could this mean?

(Panel that shows the world) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html)

Not trying to contradict you, but how do we know that? We don't know which way is North, and even if we did, the planet is round so any continent could qualify as "western continent".

EDIT: Okay, I guess Rich would have put North up to prevent the readers from being confused. Still though, we can't see what's West of where V is, and I can only see 2 continents on this map (and some islands) when we know there are more than that.

TSED
2009-03-24, 01:12 AM
I'd interpret the place where all the lightning is originating from as V's current location, which is on the westernmost landmass...

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-24, 01:28 PM
Not trying to contradict you, but how do we know that? We don't know which way is North, and even if we did, the planet is round so any continent could qualify as "western continent".

EDIT: Okay, I guess Rich would have put North up to prevent the readers from being confused. Still though, we can't see what's West of where V is, and I can only see 2 continents on this map (and some islands) when we know there are more than that.
I'm inclined to think that there are no significant landmasses on the far side of this globe. This would be consistent with the idea that all land is divided between the three pantheons of gods (the Eastern gods having been destroyed by the Snarl): the largest land mass is split into Northern and Southern sections, and the smaller one, which lies just to the west of the other two, is therefore dubbed the "Western Continent" because it's just a short journey west of the mainland but would take a hell of a lot longer to reach by travelling east.

Remember that two continents need not necessarily be separated by water; a land border will do. Viewed from space, Europe and Asia are not visible as two separate continents, for example.

Nekomata
2009-03-24, 01:46 PM
You're assuming there are no more continents on the other side of the planet, and that it's positioned so that "north is up", while we could as well be seing it from above the northern pole.

By the way: http://xkcd.com/503/

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-24, 02:08 PM
You're assuming there are no more continents on the other side of the planet,
Well, I did say that in my post.

and that it's positioned so that "north is up", while we could as well be seing it from above the northern pole.
Dude, Rich doesn't even use proper perspective in his art. You really think he's going to deliberately draw his planet "upside-down" just so he can confuse his readers?

I think it's much more likely that he originally drew out a simple (2D) map with three main continents on it, and has transposed that map directly onto the front of the globe every time we see it. The planet looks much the same in strip #273 as it does in Start of Darkness, and it's not much different (apart from being better-drawn) in the latest strip.

The primary goal of Rich's art is communication, not accuracy. The fact that every time we've seen the planet so far, it's been from pretty much the same angle, does kind of back up what I said. There's no proof for it, sure, but it does follow common sense.

King of Nowhere
2009-03-24, 02:31 PM
In War and XP it is explicitly stated that elven lands are in the western continents. V's home is likely to be in the elven lands, thus in the western continent.
We also got a map of the area around Azure city, and putting the two together someone who is willing to do so should be able to locate azure city in the planet.

hamishspence
2009-03-24, 02:36 PM
Cyan Peninsula, where Azure City is, looks like the lower peninsula on the map- island, bulge on the north side.

Ladorak
2009-03-24, 09:50 PM
Girard's gate is on the Western continent, that's where team EVIL is heading. That's it really...

V'icternus
2009-03-25, 11:17 AM
So, I guess we just tune in next time on "How the five gates got destroyed", just in time to see something happen to number four? (Of course, the fifth might not be destroyed. But I do expect the fourth one too, personally.)

Of course, V's not likely to contact Durkon. V didn't exactly leave on friendly terms with the dwarf.
Haley, on the other hand, V still wants to find, so maybe Haley, Celia and Belkar (and Roy, hopefully) will soon be making their way to the Western Continent.

Donald
2009-03-25, 11:52 AM
and that it's positioned so that "north is up", while we could as well be seing it from above the northern pole.

The white-ish mass on top of the globe would indicate Polar regions, most likely the Northern Pole, and the lack of White-ish area in the middle of the globe would indicate it's seen from the side.

By the way: http://xkcd.com/503/

because you're American-centric. Think Euro-centric and it makes more sense.

Laughing Dragon
2009-03-25, 12:20 PM
I'm inclined to think that there are no significant landmasses on the far side of this globe.

Then why are the bolts of the "familicide" spell going around to the "backside" of the planet? And not just a few to pick off random islands, but several.

NerfTW
2009-03-25, 01:00 PM
V's homelands are on the western continent. That does not preclude there being more to the west of that island, or for that matter, a landmass on the other side that was originally the "Eastern continent". Remember that there was a set of gods for the East. For all we know, there is a continent there as a reminder for the gods.

Also, since the elves raised their own gods, it's also possible that the area controlled by the Western pantheon are further west.