PDA

View Full Version : What if I want to play a bunny?

Cedrass
2009-03-23, 09:24 PM
Well yeah, don't ask me why, but I've got this urge to play an anthropomorphic bunny... Actually, it's because of that picture: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Azaezelbunny-16960756

So yeah, I decided to look for those guys in Savage Species, but they are not there. So I thought about doing it myself, but it seems there are no stats for bunnies (I can't believe I looked for those...) So I was wondering if any of you had an idea about what I can do with that.

I was guessing I could use the Catfolk's stats to base my bunny race on, but just in case someone else did a race and played with it I'm asking here (I'm not even hoping for an answer :smalltongue:)

Thanks, and don't laugh too much please :smallbiggrin:

Edit: It's for 3.5 D&D

Jayabalard
2009-03-23, 09:27 PM
FRom your title I was thinking of suggesting http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/bunnies/... but it doesn't do the anthropomorphic bit.

Tiki Snakes
2009-03-23, 09:47 PM
Well yeah, don't ask me why, but I've got this urge to play an anthropomorphic bunny... Actually, it's because of that picture: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Azaezelbunny-16960756

So yeah, I decided to look for those guys in Savage Species, but they are not there. So I thought about doing it myself, but it seems there are no stats for bunnies (I can't believe I looked for those...) So I was wondering if any of you had an idea about what I can do with that.

I was guessing I could use the Catfolk's stats to base my bunny race on, but just in case someone else did a race and played with it I'm asking here (I'm not even hoping for an answer :smalltongue:)

Thanks, and don't laugh too much please :smallbiggrin:

3.5? Well, this seems pretty rubbish, but carefull what you ask for. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Rabbit-Man_(DnD_Race)

If it was 4th, it'd be pretty simple to homebrew. Actually, there's probably a 4th ed version of the anthropomorphic horror i just linked somewhere on the same site...

Ravens_cry
2009-03-23, 10:03 PM
Anthro bunny
How about +2 to perception/listen checks, +2 to jump/acrobatics checks, +2 move silently 40 landspeed (or 30 if they're small) +2 dex, as they are agile -2 constitution, as if actually caught they tend to die. Or maybe +2 to wisdom ,as they are great noticing surroundings.

Cedrass
2009-03-23, 10:14 PM
Well, this seems pretty rubbish, but carefull what you ask for.

I don't get it...

And I think I like that "horror" on the Wiki. I may propose this to my DM. But I'm not sure I quite like it...

Me and my stupid ideas... :smallannoyed:

Human Paragon 3
2009-03-23, 10:16 PM
Or you could play a non-anthro bunny and just take all your levels in unarmed swordsage, focusing on Tiger Claw. Imagine the surprise of your enemies when you leap across the battlefield and decimate them with your double claw pounce!

Cue Monty Python jokes.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-23, 10:29 PM
I don't get it...

And I think I like that "horror" on the Wiki. I may propose this to my DM. But I'm not sure I quite like it...

Me and my stupid ideas... :smallannoyed:

No, I think he was referring to his link as possibly dumb, not your idea. :smallsmile:

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-03-23, 10:34 PM
I'd modify the cat stat block to suit rabbit traits, then tack on Anthro. I'll post up my suggested stats once I finish brewing them.

Kris Strife
2009-03-23, 10:37 PM
Or you could play a non-anthro bunny and just take all your levels in unarmed swordsage, focusing on Tiger Claw. Imagine the surprise of your enemies when you leap across the battlefield and decimate them with your double claw pounce!

Cue Monty Python jokes.

Like they'd wait till then. :p

Or it would need to be non anthro.

Graymayre
2009-03-23, 10:40 PM
for a non-anthro flavored one, awakened animals are the easiest way (not sure where to find them though).

Having a rabbit deliver death threats would be a truly "hare-raising" spectacle. :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-03-23, 11:30 PM
FRom your title I was thinking of suggesting http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/bunnies/... but it doesn't do the anthropomorphic bit.

Heh, I was going to suggest the same thing. Bunnies & Burrows is one of those RPGs I've heard a lot about and want to get my hands on, but never have.

In any case, I'd say your best bet may be to try to find some sort of Redwall d20 (based on Brian Jacques Redwall book series). I don't know if there's a complete one, but you could at least look at the Hare from this very forum's homebrew Redwall d20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11753) from several years ago and go from there. (Don't post there, though - it'd be thread necromancy of the vilest sort.)

BobVosh
2009-03-24, 01:27 AM
lol...were dire rabbit...

Teron
2009-03-24, 01:59 AM
I'd modify the cat stat block to suit rabbit traits, then tack on Anthro. I'll post up my suggested stats once I finish brewing them.
The anthropomorphic template is hopelessly broken. You'd be better off working from scratch.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-03-24, 03:35 AM
OP: Would you rather medium or small sized?

T: Faith. :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-24, 03:46 AM
I thoughtthe Rabbit Man race looked quite good, but it seems underpowered. I'd go with +2 Dex, -2 Con, Small size, +2 to all Jump, Listen and Survival checks, 30' movement, low-light vision, and a bonus Luck feat. That Redwall homebrew post is interresting (it would be fun to try it out).

bosssmiley
2009-03-24, 05:28 AM

Play a Halfling in a bunny suit. That goes for all cutesy talking animals from Reepeycheep or Redwall to the Care Bears or Teddy Ruxpin.

Job done. No, I'm not joking. :smallamused:

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-24, 07:08 AM
Some animals have characteristics which Halflings don't, though. (Admittedly, I remember 1 person mentioning that Halflings and Half Orcs became much more popular in their games when they were reflavoured as environment-dependant half-animals when I posted my Apefolk race in the Homebrew section.)

Cedrass
2009-03-24, 07:23 AM
OP: Would you rather medium or small sized?

T: Faith. :smallbiggrin:

I prefer medium size. There's something about Small that I don't like...

I don't know how you guys manage to homebrew stuff, I tried and do this race last night but I couldn't get anything done. Guess this isn't my branch =/

THanks a lot, didn't think I'd have that much response for this haha :smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-24, 07:34 AM
I've had a fair bit of practice with this sort of thing. Do you think my version, if it was medium sized, would be balanced with 40' movement?

EDIT: I just remembered this anthro-hare race which a friend made: http://forum.mydndgame.com/index.php/topic,191.msg6841.html#msg6841 .

Heliomance
2009-03-24, 08:07 AM
To play that thing, use the stats from the smallest fluffy thing you can find, tack on the anthropomorphic template, and add half-fiend on top of that. Maybe give it a +4 racial bonus to Jump. Not sure how you'd make it end up medium rather than small, though.

Irreverent Fool
2009-03-24, 08:44 AM
I would suggest using the Catfolk race from Races of the Wild as a base. Remove racial skill bonuses to hide and move silently. Add a racial bonus to jump (+4). I think I'd even remove the +1AC and add something like the ability to make a running leap from a standing start.

I think we sometimes get too hung up on race-specific stats when they want to play something new.

obnoxious
sig

Cedrass
2009-03-24, 11:49 AM
I thoughtthe Rabbit Man race looked quite good, but it seems underpowered. I'd go with +2 Dex, -2 Con, Small size, +2 to all Jump, Listen and Survival checks, 30' movement, low-light vision, and a bonus Luck feat. That Redwall homebrew post is interresting (it would be fun to try it out).

Didn't see it this morning (it was morning after all :smalltongue:). I quite like it, no LA, not OP. This is what I'll show to my DM next time I actually play in a campaign :smallsmile: Or even one of my NPCs.

Maybe I'd just go with Medium size and 40ft for speed like you suggest Fennac.

I'll cry to my DM to have horn and voila :smallbiggrin:

Thanks a lot guys

Oh, Hadrian_Emrys, if you end up finnishing what you were trying with this (if you even started to begin with) I'd be glad to see it :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2009-03-24, 02:34 PM
Dragon 341- Rabbit Familiar- as cat, but grants spellcaster +3 to Listen.

So, for an actual bunny, Cat is a good base creature, statwise.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-03-24, 09:59 PM
Lepus
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Movement Speed: 40
Special Quality: Darkvision (60 feet)
Attributes Bonuses: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Cha
Racial Skill Bonuses: +4 Jump, +4 Listen, +4 Survival, +4 Tumble
Agile Jumper: Lepi add their Dexterity instead of Strength on Jump checks, and are treated as having made a running start even if jumping when standing still.

I'm not sure about the skill bonuses balance-wise, but this is the rough draft OP.

Cedrass
2009-03-24, 10:01 PM
Mhh, won't you have to put some LA on this guy to balance him out? He's got a positive bonus on his stats, Darkvision and a superior speed than standard races...

I am wrong?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-24, 10:55 PM
I really don't think it should be medium. It's based on a rodent. Granted, a fat rodent, but it's an animal that's prey to things that weigh less than 10 lbs. Try:Humanoid
+4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con
Small size
Low-Light vision
Base speed 30
+4 Jump, +2 Move Silently
Dex instead of Str to JumpMay need adjusting, but Makes a decent but not OP Rogue/Scout, IMHO.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-03-24, 10:59 PM
Rabbits are lagomorphs, not rodents.

I support that take on the statblock, though, and was about to suggest something very similar.

It's about on par with a Goblin with Dex to Jump instead of Darkvision, different skills, and slightly more minmaxable stats (not a bad thing, as goblins are sub-PC race in stats). I give it a thumbs up.

wykydtron
2009-03-24, 11:05 PM
Found this for you, buddy.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Perfectly_Ordinary_Bunny_Rabbit_(DnD_Creature)

Might help. I hope it does. I really want to try an awakened rabbit monk. I mean come on, come on!

Tengu_temp
2009-03-24, 11:13 PM
I would suggest using the Catfolk race from Races of the Wild as a base. Remove racial skill bonuses to hide and move silently. Add a racial bonus to jump (+4). I think I'd even remove the +1AC and add something like the ability to make a running leap from a standing start.

I think we sometimes get too hung up on race-specific stats when they want to play something new.

obnoxious
sig

I like this - cats are little more than rabbits that developed a bigger appetite for meat anyway.

Cedrass
2009-03-24, 11:22 PM
I really don't think it should be medium. It's based on a rodent. Granted, a fat rodent, but it's an animal that's prey to things that weigh less than 10 lbs. Try:Humanoid
+4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con
Small size
Low-Light vision
Base speed 30
+4 Jump, +2 Move Silently
Dex instead of Str to JumpMay need adjusting, but Makes a decent but not OP Rogue/Scout, IMHO.

I'm liking this one actually! No weak, no LA, nice bonus (the Dex to Jump). I'd boost the Speed though. Those guys are supposed to be fast, well IMHO anyways.

Still surprised by the amount of answers to that thread, but I like what you guys posted. Only this one happens to be my fav =x.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-03-24, 11:24 PM
30' movement is fast for a small character - they're normally stuck at 20'. I mentioned Goblins earlier, and the 30' movement thing is their biggest mechanical strength as a PC race, though +4 to both stealth skills doesn't hurt either.

Cedrass
2009-03-24, 11:33 PM
Oops, didn't see he made them Small. 30ft. is fine then :smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-24, 11:48 PM
30' movement is fast for a small character - they're normally stuck at 20'. I mentioned Goblins earlier, and the 30' movement thing is their biggest mechanical strength as a PC race, though +4 to both stealth skills doesn't hurt either.I actually was based on a Kobold. Didn't realize Goblins had 30', otherwise I might have used them.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-03-24, 11:49 PM
Yeah, the -2/+4/-2 is koboldesque, now that you mention it. The other features are closer to gobbos with the details changed, though. It's a good hybrid.

ridly
2009-03-25, 05:17 PM
I though you meant that you were going to play a bunny like floppy ears, 1foot tall,white, bushy tail, and loving carrots.

imagine that a bunny that casts a fireball at a swarm of goblins.

hamishspence
2009-03-25, 05:19 PM
Awakened bunny mage?

(larger cat stats are in Silver Marches- lynx- could be used to represent a hare, compared to small cat stats for a bunny)