PDA

View Full Version : How old is World 2.0?

Sutremaine
2009-03-23, 09:47 PM
The Snarl undid creation, and then a while later the gods redid it, trapping the Snarl in the process. How long ago was that? Haley's father was a First Edition thief, and it would be kind of odd if the laws of reality remained stable for more than, say, a couple of centuries before being rewritten twice in the span of a human lifetime. Yes, I know that the ABD is older than that, but the gods apparently created an established world from nothing.

Just an idle question really. :smalltongue:

Lira
2009-03-23, 09:53 PM
Check out the timeline thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35936

They're currently in year 1184 of the new world.

MReav
2009-03-23, 09:58 PM
Check out the timeline thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35936

They're currently in year 1184 of the new world.

Hmm... that means Sabine is older than the current world.

Chronos
2009-03-23, 10:13 PM
Yup. It also means that there are no Great Wyrms native to this world, and only a few generations of dragons before Black Momma.

The Minx
2009-03-23, 10:42 PM
Yup. It also means that there are no Great Wyrms native to this world, and only a few generations of dragons before Black Momma.

One possibility: some might have come from another plane, seeing as ABD was planning on leaving the plane after her revenge. That would save the gods the trouble of having to create all of them.

I wonder whether Familicide can cross planar boundaries. Not that I think it will arise in the story, mind.

silvadel
2009-03-23, 11:18 PM
And who is to say that everyone was created as an infant. It makes a lot more sense if when the world were created with adults. Hence there might have been great wyrms on day 1 in world 2.0.

Volkov
2009-03-24, 07:00 AM
Tiamat might have put many of it's dragons in the nine hells with her, thus allowing world 1.0 dragons to reach great wyrm age. Tiamat is very prudent, she'd keep some if not most with her.

Sutremaine
2009-03-24, 07:01 PM
Ah yeah, thanks, I'd forgotten that the year was given in one of the strips. I did read a little of the timeline, but there was so much SoD/OoPCs material that I stopped. (I really should pick those up, shouldn't I?)

Chronos
2009-03-24, 07:05 PM
One possibility: some might have come from another plane, seeing as ABD was planning on leaving the plane after her revenge. That would save the gods the trouble of having to create all of them.Right, that's why I said "none native".

Volkov
2009-03-24, 08:01 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that Tiamat is the creator of all dragons as she's the only known deity of dragons? Which would kind of explain the seeming rarity of Metallic dragons.

MReav
2009-03-24, 08:28 PM
So... was Sabine imported to this world? I would think she'd notice the god killing abomination when it was around.

Chronos
2009-03-24, 08:58 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that Tiamat is the creator of all dragons as she's the only known deity of dragons? Don't forget about Dragon, head of the southern pantheon. And so far in the comic we've only seen one metallic dragon and two chromatic ones (plus heard mention of two more), which doesn't seem like metallics are much rarer than chromatics, given the habits of adventurers.

Dagren
2009-03-24, 09:08 PM
Wait, the calendar counts up from the creation of the world? That doesn't make any sense, if the gods covered up the thing with the Snarl. Yet, the people know when the world was made? I guess they could know when the world was made without knowing anything to happen before that, but the idea that people were around and civilized right from the beginning sounds a little odd to me. Civilizations grow over centuries, they don't crop up overnight.

ocdscale
2009-03-24, 09:29 PM
I guess they could know when the world was made without knowing anything to happen before that, but the idea that people were around and civilized right from the beginning sounds a little odd to me. Civilizations grow over centuries, they don't crop up overnight.

I think things are different when there are honest to god Gods mucking around in the world. It's easy enough to conceive they just *plopped* towns left and right to repopulate the world.

GSFB
2009-03-24, 10:56 PM
I don't think just because the year is 1184 that it means the world is necessarily 1184 years old. It only means it has been 1184 years since people agreed on that calendar.

A million years could have elapsed between the Gods making World 2.0 and the sentient races inhabiting it deciding to start counting years.

3Power
2009-03-24, 11:04 PM
Hmm... that means Sabine is older than the current world. Assuming this is referring to the "time of the millennium" line she spouted while talking to nale, it's very likely that it was a lie.

Tass
2009-03-25, 06:05 AM
Assuming this is referring to the "time of the millennium" line she spouted while talking to nale, it's very likely that it was a lie.

Besides, she said century...

Volkov
2009-03-25, 06:55 AM
Don't forget about Dragon, head of the southern pantheon. And so far in the comic we've only seen one metallic dragon and two chromatic ones (plus heard mention of two more), which doesn't seem like metallics are much rarer than chromatics, given the habits of adventurers.

I don't think Dragon cares much for "European" Dragons, save for Gold dragons due to their chinese cat fish whiskered face. But I think he could give Tiamat a good run for her money, though I doubt he'd be able to challenge her for worshippers.

She is worshipped by every last kobold, and kobolds are the only sentient race to outnumber goblins.

Chronos
2009-03-25, 02:09 PM
Assuming this is referring to the "time of the millennium" line she spouted while talking to nale, it's very likely that it was a lie.There's also a bonus strip in one of the books where she meets an old flame she hadn't seen for 3 or 4 millennia.

MReav
2009-03-25, 03:20 PM
There's also a bonus strip in one of the books where she meets an old flame she hadn't seen for 3 or 4 millennia.

2 actually, but that was what I was talking about.

I don't think Dragon cares much for "European" Dragons, save for Gold dragons due to their chinese cat fish whiskered face.

Well, actually, he had stated "Whoever heard of dragons that can't breathe fire?" in the first Crayons of Time scene. Of course, he might not be that interested in dragons because someone else got to make them their way.

Personally I think the world is older, since the people of Azure City use a different calendar, so the calendar is simply a representation of some arbitrary established time in the North.

The Minx
2009-03-25, 05:53 PM
So... was Sabine imported to this world? I would think she'd notice the god killing abomination when it was around.

The formless chaos which the gods used as raw material may be quite extensive, as might the multiverse (other material planes, etc). It's possible that the Snarl didn't get around as much. Just a thought. :/

Don't forget about Dragon, head of the southern pantheon. And so far in the comic we've only seen one metallic dragon and two chromatic ones (plus heard mention of two more), which doesn't seem like metallics are much rarer than chromatics, given the habits of adventurers.

Except for all those blacks killed by Familicide.

Chronos
2009-03-25, 06:28 PM
Except for all those blacks killed by Familicide.Oh, yeah, those. Well you can't expect me to remember something from that long ago! I mean, that was a whole...

zero...

strips ago.

...oh.

OK, I feel stupid now.

zero
2009-03-25, 06:52 PM
Wait, the calendar counts up from the creation of the world? That doesn't make any sense, if the gods covered up the thing with the Snarl. Yet, the people know when the world was made? I guess they could know when the world was made without knowing anything to happen before that, but the idea that people were around and civilized right from the beginning sounds a little odd to me. Civilizations grow over centuries, they don't crop up overnight.

Agreed

I don't think just because the year is 1184 that it means the world is necessarily 1184 years old. It only means it has been 1184 years since people agreed on that calendar.

A million years could have elapsed between the Gods making World 2.0 and the sentient races inhabiting it deciding to start counting years.

And agreed.

Is there any official statement from the Giant saying the calendar is counting from the world's creation? I saw his post on the timeline thread, it had no comment of that sort.

I never assumed the calendar was counting from the world creation. In fact, I will be VERY surprised if that's indeed the case.

Chronos
2009-03-25, 07:19 PM
According to Shojo, it was a thousand years and more (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html) after the creation of the world that Soon found the first rift. Now, technically, this could be millions of years, depending on how long "and more" is, but it at least suggests that it was closer to a thousand years than to two thousand years. And given that we have a calendar which is in that same range, I think it's a safe conclusion that the calendar dates from the creation of the world.

zero
2009-03-25, 07:44 PM
According to Shojo, it was a thousand years and more (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html) after the creation of the world that Soon found the first rift. Now, technically, this could be millions of years, depending on how long "and more" is, but it at least suggests that it was closer to a thousand years than to two thousand years. And given that we have a calendar which is in that same range, I think it's a safe conclusion that the calendar dates from the creation of the world.

Ah, well, yeah, ok, that's indeed a strong indicative of the one-thousand years old world.