PDA

View Full Version : Island in Time question (ToB)

Dacia Brabant
2009-03-24, 01:00 AM
I was looking at this ability for a character I'm working on for a high-level game, and it's pretty incredible but I have a question about it.

Now with it you get to take your turn as an immediate action, but it also says you get to take all your actions during this turn. Would this not include your swift action, which is generally considered used up when you use an immediate action instead? Or, as I'm hoping, would it be that the swift action for your next regular turn (the one at your normal initiative count) would be the one that's spent?

I ask because I want to be able to use Divine Recovery during my Island in Time turn to regain (and immediately reuse) Time Stands Still. For what it's worth the basic 20-level build is Elf Paladin 4/Crusader 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 2/Eternal Blade 10, so this little trick is kind of the point and I'd like to know if it'll actually work. :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2009-03-24, 02:00 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Since it doesn't affect your init count, you gotta wonder...which Swift action would it consume? Would it take the one you gain from Island of Time, or would it take the one from your next turn. I guess I'd guess its the "next" immediate action you'd gain, which is the one gained from IiT, although you could really rule it either way.

Douglas
2009-03-24, 06:19 AM
Technically an immediate action only "effectively" uses up next turn's swift action - the actual restriction is that you can't take immediate or swift actions until the end of your next turn.

Having just scrutinized the text, here's how I would rule on it:
It takes an immediate action to use. This comes with the normal restriction of no more immediate or swift actions until the end of your next turn, but "your next turn" is the normal turn you get in the next round. However, the stipulation that you can use all your actions during the extra turn overrides the restriction due to having used an immediate action, so you can use a swift action during the Island in Time turn. Effectively, the immediate action uses the swift action from your next normal initiative turn and doesn't touch the one from your Island in Time turn.

I think this is open to interpretation, though, so you should really ask your DM. Depending on interpretations for what "your next turn" and "all your actions as normal" mean, it could be interpreted to use your swift action from either turn or from both.

Eldariel
2009-03-24, 09:39 AM
I think the RAW is quite clear: Your next turn is the Island in Time-turn and if you used Immediate Action to initiate it, you'll "lose" your swift action for the Island in Time-turn. That said, if you initiated Island in Time as a swift action on your own turn, you'd have a swift action on the Island in Time-turn. The "all your actions"-part merely seems like a clarification. But as previously said, check with your DM.

Dacia Brabant
2009-03-24, 11:38 AM
if you initiated Island in Time as a swift action on your own turn, you'd have a swift action on the Island in Time-turn.

That could work, but since you're taking both turns on the same initiative count wouldn't that be trying to get two swift actions on the same turn? Hmm, maybe if I used Island in Time before my normal turn comes up in the round then I'd get a swift action during it.

But yeah it was the "you can use all your actions as normal" part of the text that led me to even think of this combo anyway. It might be a clarification that yes, you can act again even though it's not your turn, or it might be an override of the basic rules for actions--which it already kind of is by letting you take your turn out of order.

I'll definitely be asking the DM for his ruling but I just wanted to get some other opinions first.