PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Warlords and Armor

Demonix
2009-03-24, 11:36 AM
This is probably closer to a peeve/rant than anything, but I have to ask: Why are warlords, a martial power class depicted as leading/directing troops and even mixing it up on the front lines, have such limited armor choices (up to chain)?

I'm not trying to do it all here, but since I dont have range or stealth to fall back on, I need to be a little harder to hit (current AC 17 in scale, just made level 3); I'm a little irked I had to use a feat to wear scale, and honestly I wouldn't mind encasing myself in plate. I've managed to mitigate some of the necessity of being on the front line by using a reach weapon and defending the cleric (which also gives my powers a bit of range too), but I'm just wondering why the limited armor choices.

A few magic items wouldnt be amiss either, but I have to talk to the DM about that :)

Side note: is there a feat anywhere in 4E that could give me threatening reach?

NecroRebel
2009-03-24, 11:51 AM
This is probably closer to a peeve/rant than anything, but I have to ask: Why are warlords, a martial power class depicted as leading/directing troops and even mixing it up on the front lines, have such limited armor choices (up to chain)?

I'm not trying to do it all here, but since I dont have range or stealth to fall back on, I need to be a little harder to hit (current AC 17 in scale, just made level 3); I'm a little irked I had to use a feat to wear scale, and honestly I wouldn't mind encasing myself in plate. I've managed to mitigate some of the necessity of being on the front line by using a reach weapon and defending the cleric (which also gives my powers a bit of range too), but I'm just wondering why the limited armor choices.

Warlords actually have the best possible armor choice available for a tactical warlord available from level 1, namely Hide. With +3 Int mod, which many if not most taclords will possess, Hide armor matches Scale while being less expensive and not as heavy, while +4 or more Int means that it matches or exceeds Plate. Of course, once you get into masterwork armors you'll fall behind unless you've been boosting Int at every available opportunity, but you'll still have decent AC.

For other Warlords, most seem to be expected to take a shield or use a reach weapon, both of which increase the difficulty of getting hit. Further, do note that 17 AC at level 1 is very good; Paladins and Fighters cap out at 20 if they sword-and-board with plate mail, Rangers are the same with 20 Dex, Hide armor, and a light shield, and everyone else hovers in the 15-18 range depending on defensive optimization.

Also, IIRC plate mail costs only 1 feat for a Warlord to go into, since you don't need Scale Proficiency to get it. I might be wrong, though, and I'm away from my books until tomorrow so I can't check.

Side note: is there a feat anywhere in 4E that could give me threatening reach?

Not that I'm aware of, and believe me when I say I've looked. The only thing that approaches it is the Polearm Master PP's level 12 utility stance, which allows you to take OAs in any square within your reach, which amounts to threatening reach. Unfortunately, it's a daily power, so one battle of threatening reach per day :smallannoyed:

ColdSepp
2009-03-24, 11:58 AM
The Goliath Racial Paragon Path gives threatening reach for 2 rounds/encounter, and the Spike Chain Master feats in Dragon 372 give a Daily Stance that has threatening reach.

Joran
2009-03-24, 12:58 PM
I have an Inspiring Warlord and am level 2 and have 19 AC. I took Scale, got a light shield and I'm only behind the two defenders for AC.

BTW, according to my calculations, you should have 18 AC. 7 for scale, and another +1 for hitting level 2.

Tengu_temp
2009-03-24, 01:29 PM
Also, IIRC plate mail costs only 1 feat for a Warlord to go into, since you don't need Scale Proficiency to get it. I might be wrong, though, and I'm away from my books until tomorrow so I can't check.

It does require scale armor proficiency. I'd say that scale is a better choice than plate for a warlord, though, at least starting at paragon levels - 1 more speed is worth more than 1 more AC for a non-defender, and you probably have the dex required for scale armor specialization already, as it's also required for sword-related feats.