PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: The Nameless Mod

Muz
2009-03-24, 12:22 PM
A recent discussion with someone about Deus Ex 3 wound up eventually bringing into my awareness something called The Nameless Mod (http://www.thenamelessmod.com). It's a total conversion for the original game that puts you into the world of "a physical embodiment of Internet forums and bulletin boards."

I've just started playing it, and so far it's actually quite good. The dialogue is as to be expected from fanfic, but on the other hand, I've long been wishing for another game that's got the same gameplay as DX with a whole new story. So far, this seems to be it. The fact that it's set IN a Deus Ex forum is fun, too. I spent about 20 minutes in a fanfic shop (i.e. a shop in the game) talking to the proprietor about DX artificial intelligences and learned a few things about the original game I didn't know.

It's still buggy (a door to an always-open bar locked itself behind me, and I had to cheat to get it open, for example), but they're working on a patch.

So has anyone else played this? It's supposed to have about 20 hours of story, so don't forget your spoiler tags for that stuff...

Arbitrarity
2009-03-24, 07:14 PM
Downloading now. This looks awesome. Deus Ex was a great game, I remember when I finally could hit people with every shot from my revolver, rather than missing every shot and getting killed in a single hit.

Playing on Realistic was hard. That is all.

Muz
2009-03-25, 12:15 AM
It seems they've got the patch ready, too. (Which is good, because my quicksave corrupted itself and I lost my game.) It's not in the download section, it's in the Tech Support forum on the website.

I love that the two cults' favorite weapons are the throwing spork and throwing foon. :smallbiggrin:

Jahkaivah
2009-03-25, 08:38 AM
I downloaded it recently, and am currently stuck in the fisrt town where I have to earn 1000 credits for a train ticket.

So far I have found 4 ways of gaining credits

- Steal from two cafes (I only have one lockpick however so I can only steal from one)
-Get the unconscious guy from the Goat Cult and give it to the Lama Cult guard.
-Get the painting from the apartment and give it to the boy in the fanfiction shop.

That gets me 900 credits, now there is a 5th way which involves getting a floppy disk from that poor messed up fellow who talks to his teddy, that would get me enough , and to be fair I wouldn't have to kill him, but:

A, The person who wants the floppy disk smells of bad guy

B, The quest closes up if I talk to him, and the bar he was in is closed now (problably because I talked to phasmatis after I visited there).

And there doesn't appear to be any kind of walkthrough available yet, any tips?

Muz
2009-03-25, 11:17 AM
For another opportunity to get some cash (without having to be a bad guy, more or less): Go talk to one of the firewall guys (he looks different from the others) at one of the blockaded district exits. I think he's near Sol's bar. He'll give you something to do that will earn you...350? 500? I forget the exact amount.

And there are two more lockpicks to be found... at the bottom of the canal near a car chassis, if you haven't found those already.

There are two cafés you can break into? I only noticed the one.

valadil
2009-03-25, 12:21 PM
I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Deus Ex is my favorite single player game, but I'm halfway through several other games right now and don't want to add another one to the stack just yet.

Penguinizer
2009-03-25, 12:27 PM
You can break into the cafe that's in the high rise building by using the sword you can get from the goat cultists to break down the door.

Jahkaivah
2009-03-25, 12:52 PM
There are two cafés you can break into? I only noticed the one.

There are three, as far as I know, though the third one doesn't have any credits in it, not to mention in a really obscure location god knows how I managed to find it before I found that firewall guy.