PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Bard Multiclass Versatility

ocato
2009-03-24, 09:33 PM
I think I overdid it in an attempt to use the Multiclass fun of a bard.

I took Sneak of Shadows, Arcane Prodigy, Novice Power, and Sorcerous Blade Channel. Now I have Stormwalk (half-elf dilettante) and dancing lightning as melee strikes. Also, I can either sneak attack and/or add +2 damage once per encounter. My character is dual-wielding a longsword and a dagger (for implement and sneak attack).

Now, my goal is to make a melee bard who has a few interesting tricks up his sleeve for damage (on top of regular leader viability). Stormwalk is a really neat dilettante power when coupled with sneak attack and blade channeling, but I can't help but feel like I invested too much for a few minor tricks.

So, the question of the thread is: What are some cool multiclass ideas for Bards that you guys have come up with? When is too much too much?

Darth Stabber
2009-03-24, 09:50 PM
I don't know but beginning multiclass feats sure do make a fine alternative to skill training.

TheEmerged
2009-03-24, 10:09 PM
Well, one of my players came up with a 'cool Bard multiclass trick' but it's in a direction other than what you're thinking.

The *wizard* took the multiclass bard feat, in order to qualify for the Bardic Knowledge feat at 4th level :smallbiggrin:

-----------------------
Seriously now.

RANGER: qualifying might be a trick (neither Str nor Dex are primaries for a bard) but you'd get to declare a Hunter's Quarry once per encounter. +1d6 damage for a swing or three is certainly worth the feat, and Ranger has a particularly nice skill list to choose from.

ROGUE: if you've got Dex 13 for the ranger feat, you can get the rogue. You have the disadvantage of getting a set skill, but it's a nifty one (Thievery). Keep in mind that Sneak Attack only works on attacks using a short list of weapons though.

WARLORD: not a bad skill list, and the extra healing power or temp HP bonus (if you take Inspiring Leader from Martial Power pg 150) can never hurt. The prereq isn't a good one for bards (13 Str) though. On the other hand, if you go into a warlord PC you could snatch up Battle Instructor (Martial Power pg 149) to give your party +2 to initiative.

SORCERER: actually, this one may not be as nice as it looks. The skill gained from it is redundant (a Bard already knows Arcana). It will allow you to use a Dagger as an implement (which has synergy with the rogue MC feat) and gives you +2 damage once an encounter -- not much, IMO.

Sophismata
2009-03-24, 11:36 PM
This is what I did:

Be a Half-Elf Bard.

Multiclass Barbarian, Warlock and Avenger.

Grab the Barbarian's Storm of Blades power, and one of their At-wills for dilettante . Take Student of Caiphon for an 18+ crit with Radiant powers.

Grab a Radiant <Adjective>Axe. Call yourself Val Hallan, Viking God of Rock :smallbiggrin:.

It's a reference of a reference, but still awesome. When the need comes, Oath the big bad and unleash the Storm of Blades. You can then spend an action point to do it again next round (Versatile Master).

Townopolis
2009-03-25, 12:56 AM
If you get Martial Power, Sly Dodge is a really nice multiclass feat to take.

Requires: Dex & Cha 13
Training Included: Bluff or Intimidate (your choice)
Benefit: Artful Dodger against 1 OA/encounter.

That's all I have to say at this moment.

TheOOB
2009-03-25, 01:18 AM
If you get Martial Power, Sly Dodge is a really nice multiclass feat to take.

Requires: Dex & Cha 13
Training Included: Bluff or Intimidate (your choice)
Benefit: Artful Dodger against 1 OA/encounter.

That's all I have to say at this moment.

It's nice, but as long as you are using a valid weapon, the sneak attack one is better.

Thajocoth
2009-03-25, 01:13 PM
A Bard in a campaign I'm running has been collecting multiclass leader daily heals.

He can heal 4 times in a single round right now... (Spending an AP and 3 dailies.) This is quite useful as you can't cast the same healing spell/ability in the same round (Like, 2 Healing Words in 1 round is not allowed), but having a bunch of differently named heals bypasses that (Healing Word & Inspiring Word are ok to cast in the same round).

Darth Stabber
2009-03-25, 01:25 PM
I like the bards unlimited multiclass shtick. I think I am going to make a Bard with strait 14 stats and take every feat as multiclass. I would have like 800 encounter/daily abilities that don't make me win. I will sucessfully minimize my character's ability to do anything productive, except maybe throw heals all day. Oh, yeah, this character is soooooo lame, he loops back around to awesome.