PDA

View Full Version : Flying Flame of the Forests [Creature]

Icewalker
2009-03-25, 12:56 AM
Inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber). Namely the etymology, or rather, the greek word. The term 'electricity' is based on, or at least related to (certainly related in terms of physics) the term 'electron', which is from the Greek word for amber, 'ēlektron'.

The thread title is an extension of Alfred Tennyson's description of lightning as 'flying flame'.
[hr]

Amber Spirit
Large Fey
HD 10d6+50 (85 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares);
Init: +6
AC 20; touch 15; flat-footed 14
(-1 size, +6 dex, +5 natural)
BAB/Grp +5/+13
Attack +9 Slam (1d6+4 +1d6 lightning)
Full-Attack +9 Slam (1d6+4 +1d6 lightning)
Space/Reach 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks Shocking Essence, Charged Return
Special Qualities Immunity to Electricity, DR 5/adamantine
Saves Fort +10 Ref +15 Will +11
Abilities Str 18, Dex 22, Con 20, Int 9, Wis 19, Cha 11
Skills Climb +17, Intimidate +13, Jump +17, Sense Motive +17, Survival +17
Feats Great Fortitude, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Lighting Reflexes (B),
Environment (coniferous) forests
Organization Solitary, Treebolt (2-8), Sapstorm (6-24)
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure Normal
Alignment Neutral
Advancement 11-18 (Large), 19-26 (Huge)

The hulking figure seems to be a massive humanoid form of solidified tree sap. Golden light streams through it's translucent body, marred only by cracks in the resin and pieces of the forest lodged within the creature. As it's fingers move a bright spark leaps from one finger to another.

Amber Spirits are strange natural spirits of the forest, which manifest when a forest feels it needs protection from a threatening outside world. The trees come together and their sap flows into a form, solidifying into a block of resin with thick arms and functional legs. These spirits then patrol their forests, waiting for and violently expelling intruders that they deem dangerous.

Shocking Essence (Ex): Amber Spirits have a constant slight electrical charge coursing over their bodies. Whenever they strike a target in combat or grapple the target takes 1d6 lightning damage.

Charged Return (Ex): As it shuffles through the forest, an amber spirit picks up an electrical charge from the forest's strength. When wandering the forest, the amber spirit gains one charge point per hour, up to a maximum of 10. These fade at the rate of one point per hour if the amber spirit is removed from its forest setting. Generally an encountered amber spirit will have its full 10 charges. Whenever physically struck in combat, an amber spirit regains one charge. If struck by an attack that deals lightning damage, the spirit regains one charge per die of damage of the lightning. These events cannot increase an amber spirits maximum charges beyond 10.

Amber spirits can expend these charges to take the following actions:

Amplified Shock: When an amber spirit strikes or grapples a target, it can expend 2 charge points to increase the additional damage of Shocking Essence to 2d6 for that strike.

Spirit of Lightning: As a free action an amber spirit can expend 4 charge points to greatly charge its speed and abilities. It gains the effects of a Haste spell for 5 rounds.

Electric Pulse: As a standard action, an amber spirit can expend any number of charges to send out a shockwave of lightning. This shockwave has a radius of 5 ft./charge point spent, and deals 1d6 damage/charge point spent.

[hr]
Just a bit of spontaneous homebrew. I've always liked the options abilities like Charged Return. Makes more interesting encounters.

I'm kind of sketchy on whether this thing should be a fey or an elemental. Fey seems kind of cool, because it fills the role well, but its physical form is much closer to an elemental. Also, Fey have 1/2 BAB and it's a physical combatant.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-25, 01:16 AM
I like it! :smallsmile:

The fluff raises an interesting question, though...

Amber Spirits are strange natural spirits of the forest, which manifest when a forest feels it needs protection from a threatening outside world. The trees come together and their sap flows into a form, solidifying into a block of resin with thick arms and functional legs. These spirits then patrol their forests, waiting for and violently expelling intruders that they deem dangerous.

Does this mean that the trees in this forest are intelligent, and can move at will? Or is this a collective intelligence of the forest as a whole, which wouldn't have much of an impact at an encounter-level?

Crunchy-wise, it seems really well thought out. I haven't encountered charged powers like your Charged Return before, but I really like the concept. I can see opening up with a max-power Electrical Pulse being a very common tactic when fighting multiple opponents, as it would weaken all the opponents at the outset, and would quickly be recharged with multiple people hitting on the spirit.

I do have one question, though. If struck by a lightning attack, does it take damage? Your quote below only mentions that it recharges the spirit, not whether damage is taken:

If struck by an attack that deals lightning damage, the spirit regains one charge per die of damage of the lightning.

Offhand I'd suggest that they be immune to electrical damage, but it's up to you as the creator.

Oh, and I'd definitely call it an elemental, not a fey. It'd be an odd-ball elemental, though...I'd make it of the element-type wood (from the old Oriental Adventures manual), if you're open to using those rules.

Icewalker
2009-03-25, 01:38 AM
Thanks!

It's got immunity to electricity under the qualities.

As to the trees, I intended 'come together' to be mental rather than physical, what with them being trees. However, considering nature in dnd, it wouldn't be out of place.

Vote for elemental, eh?

Hmm...

Pyrusticia
2009-03-25, 01:55 AM
It's got immunity to electricity under the qualities.

Ah, so it does. My fault for not seeing it.

Looks good! :smallbiggrin: