PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Elemental Knights/Druids

slexlollar89
2009-03-25, 02:08 AM
I was wondering what people consider to be an ideal elemental knight. I need four for the classic elements, but I don't want to use druids. The idea I have is that amongst druids (which are heretical in my homebrew) there are several who are sort of "palladins of nature" or basically the palladin equivalent of the druid tied to a particular element. Yes I am aware of the ranger and it's similarities, but it is more of a proffesion, and I need a mystical sub-order of druidism, not the guy who giudes people in the woods that hates goblins.

Basically my idea is to use the pyrokineticist as a base class, and change some of it to fit differeing elemets themes (like instead of a flame whip, a stone maul or ice blade).

What do you guys think of the pyrokineticist, and how would you guys modify it as a base class?

What can I do to add some druid flavor to this idea (not just elemetn power and no wildshaping)?

Finally, if any of these ideas seem foolih or too strange, what do you suggest to make this idea a reality?

Thanks in advance... I know this is a lot to consider, and I appreciate the input. I've hit a sort of DM block :smalleek:!

arguskos
2009-03-25, 02:14 AM
You can use the Warmage + Elemental Savant (both in C. Arcane) to represent warriors of the given elements. Earth... I'm a bit fuzzy on, but you can probably make it work somehow.

Alternately, in the Faiths and Pantheons book for the Forgotten Realms there is a prestige class for the elemental lords. You might wanna check that out (I don't have access to the book atm, so I can't really help out much, sorry).

Eloel
2009-03-25, 02:45 AM
CArc, Wu-Jen. It's cool, it's non-broken, and it comes in quite a few flavors :)

KIDS
2009-03-25, 04:35 AM
Spirit Shaman, Warmage, Duskblade or Gish are all capable of producing a focus on an element (or more) and being solid in melee like one would expect from a knight.

Note that all of these are just ways to bypass the most obvious combination: Druid/Paladin, which the game designers in their infinite wisdom thought to be an impossible line of thought and disgraced themselves.

Xefas
2009-03-25, 06:01 AM
Since most of the suggestions that make obvious sense have already been made, I'll attempt to avoid repetition by submitted a somewhat...stretch of an idea.

Use the Artificer class, and flavor his creation of magic items as instilling elemental spirits into his equipment. That way you can get access to pretty much all the spells you want of whatever element.

Have Earth Knights with self-made Maces that cast Flesh to Stone, Breastplates that cast Stoneskin, and Gauntlets that cast Earthen Grasp.

Fire Knights have Flame Blades in one hand, shields that cast Fire Shield in the other, with Helms of Animate Fire.

And so on. The Artificer has medium BAB and can wear medium armor, which while not *super* warrior-esque isn't bad.

Fishy
2009-03-25, 07:50 AM
Once again, Psionics does it better.

1) Elemental Mantles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a)
2) Mantled Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)
3) Profit!

slexlollar89
2009-03-26, 10:55 AM
I think the artificer idea is actually very very interesting... I might try something based off the incarnum rules, although I'm slightly shaky on that front and reading may be required... hmmm

That sounds a lot like the buffs from the Secret of Mana (seiken Densetsu) games... I Like that idea! Thanks Xefas, you got me thinking... I run low magic so actual magic equipment would be too out of place, but a simple brown robed commoner who summons a massive stone saber and granite full plate just brings very cool image with it.

OZgun92, I think I might give them restricted access to their element form the wujen lists, and some druidy spells too.

arguskos, I thought about elemental savant, but they really are less like elementals than men with power OVER their element, not actualy incarnations of them. But the thought makes me wonder about elemental turning/summoning...