PDA

View Full Version : [4e]The Way of the Warrior

Blackdrop
2009-03-25, 05:05 AM
Samurai

"I do not fear you oni. Now come. Meet your doom."

Role: Defender. You are terrifying site on the battlefield, capable of scaring your enemies with but a look. Your wield impressive and exotic weapons in combat and your specialized training with them makes even the most skilled warrior looks like an amateur. You lean toward striker as a secondary role.
Power Source: Ki. Your training takes not only skill, but extreme inner discipline.
Key Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Charisma

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Simple Ranged, Military Ranged
Bonus to Defense: +2 Fortitude

Hit Points at 1st Level: 16 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 10 + Constitution Modifer

Trained Skills: Intimidate. From the class list below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), History (Int), Intimidate (Cha)

Class Features: Combat Art, Stare Down

Samurai Class Features
The following are features of the samurai class

Combat Arts
Kenjutsu
You wield the classic samurai weapon, the katana. Your skill with this weapon is unmatched and most are envious of this. During combat, you and your blade dance across the floor, with superhuman speed and grace.
Proficiencies: You gain proficiency with the Katana. In addition, when wielding this weapons you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Feat: You gain Quick Draw as a bonus feat.
Feature: You gain the Lightning Draw power.

Kyujutsu
The yumi is a powerful weapon and you are its master. At a distance you are menace, but even in the thick of it your trusted bow doesn't let you. On the battlefield, your precision and speed with the bow is unnatural, almost as if the yumi is an extension of yourself.
Proficiencies: You gain proficiency with the yumi. In addition, your ranged attacks with this weapon don’t provoke opportunity attacks from adjacent enemies and you can make opportunity attacks with it.
Feat: You gain Far Shot as a bonus feat
Feature: You gain the Defensive Shot power.

Sojutsu
The bladed spear in your hand is a naginata and it is a terror not to be reckoned with. As you work your way across the field you slice, dice, and stab all who oppose you and when the battle is over, all that is left of your foes is a gruesome mess.
Proficiencies: You gain proficiency with the naginata. In addition, when wielding this weapons you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Feat: You gain Powerful Charge as a bonus feat.
Feature: You gain the Impale power.

Stare Down
You are so terrfiying, even a look from you is enough to freeze an enemy in its track. You can use your Stare Down power to mark enemies.

Samurai Powers
Samurai powers are called techniques.

Class Features
Each Samurai has the Stare Down power. Your Combat Art determines whether you have the Hail of Arrows, Impale, or Lightning Draw power.

Stare Down Samurai Feature
The orc lets a terrified squeal, because it knows from the look in your eyes, you’re a murderin’ man.
At-will * Ki, Fear
Minor Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Effect: The target is marked. Once per round, if the target makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target, you can push the target a number of squares equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. You can only have one target marked with this power at a time. If the target is no longer in your line of site or moves more than 5 squares away, these bonuses no longer apply

Defensive Shot Samurai Feature
Encounter (Special)* Ki, Weapon
Immediate Reaction Ranged Weapon
Trigger: An enemy enters a square adjacent to an ally
Requirement: You must be wielding a yumi
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity + 2 vs. AC
Damage: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter. At level 16 you can use this power three times per encounter
Level 11: Dexterity + 4 vs AC, 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Level 21: Dexterity + 6 vs AC, 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage

Impale Samurai Feature
You push your spear through your foe, holding them in place.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Free Action
Requirement: You must be wielding a naginata
Trigger: You hit with a charge
Effect: Add 1 [W] to the damage roll and the target is immobilized until you move.
Level 21: Add 2 [W] to the damage roll and the target is immobilized until you move or make an attack.

Lightning Draw Samurai Feature
An enemy approaches you, assuming you are unarmed. Silly enemy.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Minor Action Melee Weapon
Requirement: You must not be wielding a weapon
Target: One Creature
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Damage: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage
Special: You may use this power in place of a melee basic attack on opportunity attacks. When the power is resolved, you are now wielding your weapon.
Level 21: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage

Level 1 At-Will Techniques

Eagle-Eyed Attack Samurai Attack 1
You see your opponent's weak-point and, with perfected training, cripple them temporarily
At-will * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged Weapon
Attack:Strength + 2 vs. AC (Melee) or Dexterity + 2 vs AC (Ranged)
Hit:[/B ] 1[W] + Strength modifier damage (Melee) or 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage (Ranged), and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier damage (Melee) or 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage (Ranged) at 21st level

[B]Recuperating Attack Samurai Attack 1

At-will * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged Weapon
Attack:Strength vs. AC (Melee) or Dexterity vs AC (Ranged)
Hit:[/B ] 1[W] + Strength modifier damage (Melee) or 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage (Ranged), and you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier

[B]Terrorizing Shot Samurai Attack 1

At-will * Fear, Ki, Rattling, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Attack:Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage at 21st level

Vengeful Slash Samurai Attack 1

At-will * Fear, Ki, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Attack:Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage
Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier damage at 21st level.
Effect: If the target attacks an ally before the end of its next turn, it takes damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

NPCMook
2009-03-25, 05:40 AM
That mark is useless, it should be an At-will, not immobilize, give a -2 to attack rolls, and do something different, maybe allowing you to do something to reduce the damage or attack the target for not attacking you, Also Burst 10 is pretty extreme. Yes a Swordmage can get that high, but that's him focusing on Wisdom and taking a specific Paragon Path.

Meek
2009-03-25, 06:31 AM
The Mark is completely unbalanced. You could basically mark and immobilize the entire encounter or half of it in one go. Yet, if you fail, you can't mark the entire encounter and are therefore a step back from every other Defender in the game. And it's save ends on an encounter power, which is extremely rare and so far reserved only for damage. Make it at-will and change those effects, especially that burst range.

I don't understand why Hail of Arrows is a class feature. It reads more like a straight encounter power, unlike the other two which allow you to bend the rules a bit in favor of your class (as all good class features do). Make it trigger off something or change something, but not just be a totally straight extra power.

Xvos
2009-03-25, 06:46 AM
May I make a suggestion for the Stare Down power something more along the lines of:

Stare Down Samurai Feature
The orc lets a terrified squeal, because it knows from the look in your eyes, you’re a murderin’ man.
At Will * Ki, Fear
Minor Action Close Burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Attack: Intimidate vs. Will
Effect: The target is marked and slowed until the end of your next turn or until you use this power on another creature.

I think thats close to your original intent whilst not being so game breakingly swingy.

Meek
2009-03-25, 08:14 AM
Using a skill to attack seems unorthodox. With a decent cha, you're bound to always hit, since with training and skill focus you'd be comparable to an implement user with a +6 implement and like a 20 in his main stat...at 1st level. I would devise another method but nonetheless, this is way better than the first one.

Xvos
2009-03-25, 09:28 AM
Intimidate checks made to get people to surrender in combat give the enemy a +10 to Will, maybe applying a similar thing here (+5?) would work.

Whether you like my previous suggestion or not that might be worth considering for the skill based attack.

Meek
2009-03-25, 09:56 AM
Why not just remove the skill thing altogether? It'd be easier for it to mark without a miss chance or attack roll, and then have a secondary effect which triggers the slow (again, without an attack).

Thus far, no marks have a chance to fail. All marks are just delivered, end of story and then have triggers which the enemy suffers if they ignore the mark and attack another character.

The Fighter's is particularly powerful, as it gives you a free attack against the opponent, WITH bonuses to attack, that stops movement. I don't think Slow is so tough an effect that it needs to buck this system and be delivered through successful attacks only.

Edit: By the way, I am assuming your power box is wrong and you meant "Hit", not "Effect" in there...because Effects don't NEED an attack roll, they always happen. So I assume that's a typo.

Blackdrop
2009-03-26, 04:27 AM
Alright I updated Staredown. Hail of Arrows is gone and replaced with Defensive Shot (Name change to come).i

NPCMook
2009-03-27, 11:21 PM
Stare Down is still a bit powerful, -2 to the attack, and either the 2+Cha mod damage, or they get Dazed for a turn

Edit: also Burst 10 is a bit high, and honestly I don't think an intelligent enemy would really be able to tell if you were staring him down or his buddy next him at that range, bring it down to a Burst 2

Meek
2009-03-28, 12:06 PM
Ranged 10 seems thematically too high...you'd be staring at a guy from 50 feet away in a really menacing way. You couldn't even reach him for a turn from that distance. Make it 5.

Remove the Daze. Daze is too powerful an effect for a mark. You can basically daze anyone you want as a minor action. You would ALWAYS be beating on a dazed enemy. This is WAY too powerful.

The secondary damage doesn't really fit the theme I feel and it's a rip on the Paladin.

I would have it mark as a free action with an attack, and if it disobeys the mark, it is slowed and you can shift 1 square towards it, or something like that. I don't know what to tell you (as I don't really feel Samurai needs to be its own class anyway) other than that it's broken as it stands.

Blackdrop
2009-03-28, 07:38 PM
Added 1st level at-wills, and corrected Staredown. Again.