Heliomance
2009-03-25, 06:54 AM
Glory of the Martyr
Necromancy
Level: Sanctified 9
Components: V, S, Sacrifice
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 100ft burst, centred on caster
Target: A number of dead bodies, no two of which can be more than 30 ft from each other
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Throat burning with the raw power of the arcane words, power bursts forth from you, raising your fallen allies to fight one final time.

Each target you designate in the spell's area is immediately affected as by True Resurrection and Delay Death. They gain a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage for the duration of the spell, and will fight heedless of their own well being. At the end of the spell, or when there are no foes left to fight, whichever is sooner, they immediately die once more and their bodies dissolve into light, being utterly destroyed.

Sacrifice cost: 1 level.

Another_Poet
2009-03-25, 09:20 AM
A similar spell from Subversive in Master DM Competition 39: (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-967460)

9 Clarion Call (New Spell)
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Song 9; Bard 6
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Area: 40 ft radius emanation centered on caster
Duration: 5 rounds; see text
Saving Throw: Will (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

The caster blows a clarion call to fallen heroes, temporarily returning allies within a 40ft radius emanation to life. Allies returned in such a manner cannot have been dead for more then 1 round per level. Risen allies are treated as though a Raise Dead spell were cast upon them except they do not lose a level, have all remaining spells and spell slots available, and have half their full normal hit points. While under the effects of the spell, risen allies cannot be subject to spells or effects that would otherwise return them to life. Enemies who fight allies raised in this manner must make a will save or take a -1 moral penalty to attacks, damages, skill checks, and saves made against the returned allies

At the end of the spell’s duration, all allies returned to life crumple to dust, and cannot be raised again by any means short of a Wish spell. Allies returned to life with this spell must remain within the radius of the spell’s effect for the duration of the spell or crumple to dust as though the spell had expired. Subjects of the spell are aware of all of its effects and their souls must be willing to return for the spell to be effective on them. The caster must sing or otherwise play a musical instrument for the spell’s duration or the spell’s effect ends.

Material Component: The last breath of a fallen ally within 5 ft of the caster, used at the start of the casting
Focus: A mithril horn worth 1000gp, blown at the completion of the spell’s full round casting

Slightly more balanced in giving the allies a choice about coming back, restricting it to allies only, and placing a cap on their movement (must stay within the radius).

Yours is good too, just saying one that's already been community-reviewed is out there.

ap

Heliomance
2009-03-25, 10:04 AM
Doesn't need to be restricted to allies only - they're under no compulsions on which side to fight on. Why on earth would you raise enemies?

My version is somewhat more powerful, but I think it's balanced out by the sacrifice component.

Actually, I think I might make it go after all enemies are defeated plus two rounds - just long enough to say final goodbyes.

Another_Poet
2009-03-25, 12:25 PM
Doesn't need to be restricted to allies only - they're under no compulsions on which side to fight on. Why on earth would you raise enemies?

You would raise enemies if you read the spell as meaning that they are indeed under some compulsion. Since the spell specifies that the targets "will fight heedless of their own well being" it does seem that they are under at least some level of compulsion - they don't get to choose their own actions. if you use this on allies, basically your fellow players hand over their char sheets to you, and you use them as summoned monsters for one battle before destroying them forever. Does that really seem like the kind of spell you wan to put on allies?

And since the spell description doesn't prohibit raising enemies, it seems like there should be some reason to do so. These two facts together leave it open to debate whether the spell causes raised enemies to change sides and fight on the caster's behalf. So if I were you I'd change the target to "all friendly creatures" or "all allies" no two of which can be more than 30 ft apart.

I'd also change it aso they can act freely and not attack unless they want to. Or, alternately, allow a will save to negate. Or simply allow an unwilling soul to refuse the resurrection altogether, no saving throw needed, as with a normal res.

My version is somewhat more powerful, but I think it's balanced out by the sacrifice component.

Actually, I think I might make it go after all enemies are defeated plus two rounds - just long enough to say final goodbyes.

Your version isn't so much more powerful as it is less team-friendly. It's a good idea, but it might leavea bad taste in other players' mouths unless you rework it a little.

I like the idea of the extra rounds for the goodbyes though.

ap

Heliomance
2009-03-26, 02:38 PM
An unwilling creature can already refuse. It affects them as True Resurrection, and True Res fails if the spirit isn't willing to come back.

Also, it doesn't preclude them from returning again entirely. It destroys the bodies, but that only stops Raise Dead and Resurrection. If someone were to cast True Res they could get them back.