PDA

View Full Version : Brewing a new race.

Seatbelt
2006-08-29, 11:31 AM
I'm ripping a concept from Star Wars for D&D and I'm having a little trouble converting it so that it's ballanced.

In SW, this race is immune to all force affects. You can still force-shove stuff into them, but you can't force-shove *them.* Nor can you mind trick them, or use nearly any other force ability that directly targets them. (Not sure about force lightning though). They also can't use the force at all, and they can't be sensed through it either.

Now I dont want to just throw them into D&D because I plan on using them as a major plot component, and making them completely immune to magic renders like a third of all classes totally useless or partly ineffective. I also want them to be able to use magic in a limited fashion (either through incantations mimicking actual spells, or only having access to certain spells or spell schools.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could make that work? Dont worry about them being too high a CR or anything as the party wont encounter them until at least level 8.

(As far as ability scores, I'm taking the base stats from the SW core rulebook: +2 STR, +2 Con, -2 Wis)

endoperez
2006-08-29, 12:06 PM
What about Spell Resistance and immunity to Mind-Affecting Effects? Add in few racial hitdie, and while they could take levels in a casting class, the spells they could cast would be useless at their CR. Having a good Will save would also help. Spells requiring a Dex save are probably those that don't directly affect him (Fireballs etc), and thus if he has two good saves as a Monstrous Humanoid, you can just have his two good saves be Fort and Will without bending any rules.

X15lm204
2006-08-29, 04:10 PM
I second endoperez's suggestions, though the SR (and PR as well, I think) should be quite high. I think you should reconsider using the SW base stats, however. Remember that the SW system has no LA (and no racial HD, IIRC), so many of the races are far less powerful than the books, movies, etc. would seem to indicate.

By my understanding of it, Force Lightning should work just fine, as the Force is used to gather and direct the electrical energy rather than creating it directly. I doubt this is the case in the EU books, though (Expanded Universe, not European Union, in case anyone was wondering). [/tangent]

Winged One
2006-08-29, 04:15 PM
Give them immunity to anything that allows spell resistance. As far as I know, SR is only not allowed for indirect-type things, which the Vong(I assume that's who you're talking about) are affected by.